Watchtower and Awake in the cafeteria of my work place

by StephaneLaliberte 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Deface them and leave them there. Draw funny eyebrows on the faces. Black out the teeth.

See if that dissuades them from leaving them.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m just wondering how your workplace employers would react to employees leaving religious tracts /mags around the workplace .

What would they tolerate next other employees leaving their preferred religious literature around the workplace ? next you could expect literature of all the political persuasions being left around .?

I think a quite word to management in a suggestion box if they have one or an anonymous note to management outlining the above scenarios that you don`t think this is the right place to be leaving such literature as it could compromise the Company you work for.

Then management could put up a notice that such practices are not tolerated by the company and whoever is responsible to desist from doing so.

Just a suggestion

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I checked this morning, the magazines are still there with my letter. I will wait a couple more days, if its not picked up I will report it to HR.

Except that with HR, I will take the time to explain to them how exactly this religion has harmed my family over the years. There are plenty of things to talk about.

• DJS
    DJS

If you deface or destroy the magazines, or even leave notes on them, you could risk violating federal guidelines and get yourself in trouble at work. While acceptable to do this to mags in public places, it is not acceptable in work environments. The Jdub is likely violating federal rules in that they are creating a hostile work environment by leaving the mags there.

Speak to HR about it.

http://work.chron.com/legally-considered-religious-harassment-workplace-11817.html

Preaching one's faith to other employees or trying to convert them can also fall under the umbrella of religious harassment, especially if it interferes with job performance or if employers fail to address employee complaints. Also called proselytizing, it's one of the more complicated aspects of religious harassment, notes the Anti-Defamation League. That's because if you order an employee to stop proselytizing, this could be construed as hindering religious freedom. If one employee complains about a co-worker's proselytizing, employers should attempt to accommodate both parties by moving them to different departments, for example.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

An Almighty god, that created this whole universe which includes billions of powerful stars, quasars and black holes, tries to save mankind with Watchtower and Awake magazines.

Laughing at myself, that I believed this silly story once.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Put Giant “www.jwfacts.com” stickers on the magazines!

• zophar
    zophar

Since you are fading I'm wondering, aren't you taking a risk of exposing yourself with the letter and by going to HR? I think it is admirable, but make sure you have counted the cost to yourself.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Well, the letter was anonymous. As for HR, I would assume that they would have to respect my privacy by not sharing what ever I will send them.

DJS, I think you are right... I will go take that letter back. Even if that JW didn't read it, I guess it was somewhat therapeutic to write it up. :)

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Alright, I took a picture of them and threw the magazines in our shredder box. I'm writing something to hr.

• DJS
    DJS

Stephanie,

None of what I wrote was my opinion - and not my words. It's the law. A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far, away), I worked in HR and had a lot of corporate legal training. I am by no means an expert (I was at that time) and my experience is not recent, but the laws haven't changed much if any since that time.

If you are worried about exposure, you may consider letting HR know anonymously. Does your company have a hotline? The only problem with this is, to prove a hostile workplace, you have to show yourself.

Still, companies try to avoid messy situations like this and if you handle it correctly the Dub will likely receive the same general warning everyone else receives after your information is received. They might speak with the Dub directly as well, as they should, but sometimes companies take the chicken way out and just send out an APB.

Good luck. And never follow anyone's opinions regarding corporate law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit