Marry only in the Lord

by Jules Saturn 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• tiki
    tiki

My cousin who had gotten baptized was marrying a non-dub...my father was an elder. I was bullied into not going to the wedding even though we'd been like sisters....the reason was if I went they were going to remove him as an elder. I always regretted not going. And why my choice as an adult should have had any impact on his position. Anyway that was ages ago and here we are closer than ever and out of the insanity that religion foments.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I would think they'd welcome an opportunity to create another convert, when the wife showed the unbeliever how much better the JW lifestyle was.

Who wouldn't want to be one of the happiest people on Earth?

• steve2
    steve2

"If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy."

Some apologists have argued Paul is not contradicting himself because at that time married individuals converting to Christianity was not unheard of. For example, a married man (or woman) who became a Christian may have had a spouse who did not convert. Paul's words were addressed to these converts, according to apologists; i.e., they did not need to leave their unbelieving spouse, if it were mutually acceptable.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Long hair gal The religion couldn't care less if single women ended up poor or dead. This is why I was SO right to have never listened to these sonofabitches!!

This is heartbreakingly true.

Humble, hardworking always at everyone's beck and call. The workhorses of the org.

Have you read "Animal Farm" where the poor dear draught horse works himself into an early grave for the ruling " pigs" in the Big House? They turn him into glue when he's dead.

He represents the single women in The WTBTS.

• Chook
    Chook

Marrying only in the lord works when there equal numbers, the unfortunate sisters and some good looking ones that are left with little choice but to choose a guy who otherwise would never have the personality to find a decent women. It's all about keeping the money in house.

• deegee
    deegee

steve2,

Thanks for filling in the missing information. The Bible is certainly best understood in the time during which and for which it was written. It is certainly possible that only one mate converted back in the day. One point to the apologists.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DIOGENESISTER:

Yes, it is heartbreakingly true. I read Animal Farm when I was a teenager. I wasn't raised a JW and came into the religion in my mid 20s. I was already in the workforce.

After being criticized for my full time job and considered "not spiritual" and excluded from special gatherings, I had NO intention of being targeted by any of these users. I didn't care about their labels and saw the handwriting on the wall... I knew I had to look out for myself and I'm glad I did.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I have a friend who met a worldly man and when it came to light, her father gave her the option to end the relationship or to marry him, and she chose the latter.

So this is a mixed up young lady. She had other options, but wanted her father in her life. It worked. He paid the price for choosing to "support" his daughter. That is a good thing. Being removed from being a Ministerial Servant can be a very good thing. GOOOD RIDDANCE! He may have wanted that to happen.

So, unless I knew more about him possibly "forcing" her into a shotgun wedding, good for these people.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is to restrict your selections of partners. By enforcing marriage only within the cancer, you limit the chances of finding a partner that is genuinely compatible in all aspects--including culture, physical and mental traits, and so on. You get couples that are going to degrade the human race while missing out on getting what they truly wanted, and diminishing the pleasure of the whole thing. At the same time, this increases the chance of getting a tyrant husband that is going to abuse spouse and children. Adultery is more likely, and it will be behind the scenes.

They add to it by limiting the venues to find someone outside your local congregation. Notably, they restrict the number of times where people can mix, slightly improving the odds of finding someone that is really compatible. Having no more great boasting sessions, as much a drudgery they were, means less time to find that less-incompatible partner. (They were replaced with one-day big boasting sessions.) Congregations having assigned seating and shorter intermissions between sessions also restricts this, preventing people from mixing in more distant congregations.

• NJ501
    NJ501

Unfortunately for my parents, they said they would kick me out of the house if I dated a worldly girl.

I could marry the most decent girl in the world. The whole package, has a good job, looks after lost puppies, donates to charity, caring, funny, good morals, respectful and loyal but if she's not a JW they won't approve of her, pretty much disown me and won't want to know her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit