Why didn't I leave back then???

by silentbuddha 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Sunday my old Bethel roommate came up to visit me. He left a couple years ago and he wanted to catch up and reminisce.

While we sat back remembering crazy things we saw take place at Bethel he reminded me of a creepy instance with Bro. Swingell.

It was a Saturday morning and we decided to actually go get breakfast. Saturday you do not have to sit at assigned tables or dress up. Just before the breakfast was served GB member Lyman Swingel strolls in. The man was older and shuffling his feet, but he was wearing a kimono over a pair of jeans...

I was staring at him because I could not believe what I was seeing. So of course we tried not to pay attention, but it got worse. After he sat down he pulled the waiter close and tells him something. 2 minutes later the waiter comes out with a tray that had 3 large containers of JELLO.

I started laughing and the brother at the head of the table pulled me aside and informed me that he was going to speak to my overseer. All the while my roommate is looking at me as if I was about to be executed.

The following Monday my overseer tears into me and tells me that I need to have more respect for Christ's brothers and if I cant display that level of respect then maybe I should go home. Then 2 weeks later I received a new assignment. I was sent to the office furniture department which is like bethel hell.

We thought, in hindsight of course, why wouldn't seeing a crossdressing member of the governing body who drooled and had a penchant for jello not send a red flag that maybe this whole setup was a smidge out of whack? Why didn't the subsequent punishment not enough along with all the other insane shit that happened not be enough to break the camels back?

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I wouldn't have lasted a week at bethel.

• Tallon
    Tallon

ROFLMAO; thanks for sharing.

I think all the forum members who have 'served' at bethel should get together and publish a book of your experiences. It would be a best seller!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    silentbuddha: Just before the breakfast was served GB member Lyman Swingel strolls in. The man was older and shuffling his feet, but he was wearing a kimono over a pair of jeans...
    I was staring at him because I could not believe what I was seeing. So of course we tried not to pay attention, but it got worse. After he sat down he pulled the waiter close and tells him something. 2 minutes later the waiter comes out with a tray that had 3 large containers of JELLO.

You have just described an elderly man with dementia.

Not something to laugh about or criticize

Everybody gets old if they don't die first

I guess JWs don't ever think that getting old will happen to them

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Tallon: "It would be a best seller!"

Let's call it: Printers and Pillows and Pacemakers - Oh My!

• Tallon
    Tallon
    Let's call it: Printers and Pillows and Pacemakers - Oh My!

LOL … you crack me up, Jo-Ho

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Orphan Crow I was 19 years old and saw a man who was instrumental in creating policies that would impact my life for the negative who was sane enough to participate with instituting mandates that killed people who at that moment was dressed as a geisha stuffing his face with red jello for breakfast.

I gave and currently gove no fucks about whether or not my laughing was politically correct.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Who said anything about "politically correct"?

I was talking about common human decency

Politics has fuck all to do with manners and empathy

Yes. You were a baby faced 19 year old. A rude 19 year old with no concept about elderly people who have dementia

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Wow a rude 19 year old... I must have been the first and only one in existence. O no.

I was totally caught off guard however by the fact that people who knew he had dementia was still making decisions that impacted the lives of people who had their senses.

Maybe the stress of making the decisions he made was a contributing factor to his dementia, ooooo well I cant fell sorry for him I'll let you do that

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

They have no idea how to take care of the elderly, and here is one story to prove it. I have another, but that's another story. There had to be many other instances of utter craziness from ole Lyman before this; would anyone help him not embarrass himself? No. They let this 'Christ's brother' do all this crazy shit. He was most likely headstrong, eh? Stiff necked some would say? Bethel is wrong on so many levels. In another area of JWdom an elderly sister with all her shit together is being controlled in every little thing, with her son taking over her finances... You can bet on it.

Silentbudda, I hear ya, looking back there are so many red flags. We were just indoctrinated not to notice them and of course forgive, forgive, forgive, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit