The "Left Behind" book series. Has anyone read the books?

by Yizuman 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have read the first book, and have the second.

They are pretty interesting, I enjoyed the first. I have not been able to get into the second, because there is way too much preaching going on....but that is really the point of the books.

If you can get by the evangelical tone of the book (trust me...you can skipp several pages here and there without losing anything to the plot hahah) they are a good read.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

OK. I'll jump in here on this. LEFT BEHIND is one of my favorite Christian fiction series. I just finished the 11th. Yes....I have read all 11. I borrowed every one of them except the last three (many Christians have one or more in their libraries you could probably borrow). They are very quick reads. You can read one book in 2 days easy. I saw one of the movies. Not very good. The books are much better and more detailed. They do follow a traditional (if that's possible) Christian Revelation interpretation which includes the Rapture. Some books are better than others. Some seem spread out but that's because the author has a contract with the publisher to complete the story in exactly 12 books.

I highly recommend starting the series from Book No. 1. You'll get very wrapped up and fly through them in no time.

Happy reading...

Trot

• bebu
    bebu

Sort of.

I have been hearing people talk about them, raving about them, for a long time. I have just skimmed thru them a little.

Now I'm the church librarian, and I've had to stock the series. Someone recently donated another book called, "God's Wrath on the Left Behind Series", which summarized the books as being the anti-Christ! So apparently there are some Christians who don't feel too supportive of this series. Well, I declined to put that book on the shelf, although it did make some very good points about some sloppy theology in the LB books.

The authors have stated clearly that it is FICTION. Personally, I don't believe in "left behinders", but I'll let God decide all the if's and how's of a rapture. It is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. It makes me shiver a little when I hear that some folks think that this FICTION series is actually kind of a legitimate prophecy.

But I will say this: very good writing, for the most part of what I've skimmed thru. People who like fiction will probably enjoy this more than they expect. Good for the imagination--like Star Trek.

bebu

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

It is an obscene idea; depopulate an area of an ethnicity and it's ethnic cleansing, a crime against humanity. Write a book about depopulating the Earth based on religious affiliation and it's called faith, you make money and get a publishing deal.

I think I'm going to write a series of books based on the premise that all the people who believe 8ollocks like that disappear up their own @rse and suddenly the world is a nicer place to live in.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I think gita is right on.....

What a way to make a buck. This is like Jim and Tammy Faye Baker in print form. HELLO!!!!!!!!

What Princess wrote needs to be re-read by those who are into this.

Can you see a parallel to the dubs?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    They are very quick reads. You can read one book in 2 days easy.

AH! We're talking about serious Literature then.

I like junky books as well as more serious stuff, but it is funny how, not being a Christian and all, I am morally repugnated (god, I'm spending too much time talking to Americans, 'repugnated', LOL at me) by the premise of these books.

Are there any other Christians who find it offensive? And are those who like it mainstream or 'fundamental', or what?

• Valis
    Valis

greetings Abaddon..if you want a look at the wack jobs that are pro and anti, besides us *LOL*, check out these wackos..oh yeah and their board sucks too..*LOL*

http://www.leftbehindcommunity.com/lb-narrowroad/start

Sincerely,

District Overbeer.."Left My Behind Somewhere" class

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Wow. Religion is scary, no doubt about it. Books like this always freak me out. People actually believe stuff like this.

ash

• waiting
    waiting

lol - I actually try not to be an Excessively Negative Person.

These books don't bother me any more than a story telling about the Buddhist/Catholic/Satanic/Vampire/Mormons/Atheist/Indians/Martians/yada.yada.yada. point of view.

It's a quick fiction read imho..........and kinda interesting if one finds that sorta stuff kinda interesting.

So they make a buck/million? Don't like it? Don't buy it. At least NOW we have the freedom to do that, or not.

I personally find their weird Revelation characters interesting.......rather like StarWars creatures. No wait! They're Bible creatures! Perhaps the same difference?

Gawd.........now the StarWars defenders/offenders are gonna start in.

It's just fiction. And two days per book is overstating time spent. If one glides over the scripture stuff (which I do) - one long evening.

waiting

Movie banner for a summer movie: "This is a summer movie - don't try to analyize it. You can't. Just enjoy the movie with your popcorn."

Rather like these books.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

oh, I tend to classify myself in the Strong Agnostic Tending Towards Either Atheism or Whatever Belief Class.

Perhaps that's why I'm not terribly offended by these books? It's just light fiction.....lol - Not The End Of The World! lol..........they're just speculating about it!

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit