Are YOU saved?

by JW Answers 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

That brings up another point - are sins actually wrongdoings, harmful works, or evil, or are they just things God doesn't want us to do?

“What all the gods love is pious, and what they all hate is impious.”

1. Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious?
    2. Or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?

or

1. God commands it because it is right.
    2. It is right because God commands it.

Either God is just an agent passing on what is right and wrong or morality is ultimately not based on reason and arbitrarily dependent on God’s will. if we cannot measure God by moral standards, then it is really tough for us to describe God as good or wise. God doesn’t really act on good reasons, but rather on his arbitrary will. Saying that God is morally good is a meaningless statement, for whatever he does is good anyway. How can we distinguish the all-powerful God from an all-powerful demon?

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

truth_b_known

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Am I saved ? Saved from what ?

• wozza
    wozza

@Vanderhoven - sorry for the late reply busy weekend ,I get that you are trying to use scripture to answer but you seem to be dealing mostly with the dead and coming back to be educated to be saved , but I was asking what people in YOUR view would be saved and I gave 2 specific examples.

I guess I'm trying to pin down whether you have a view on who will be saved from the living ,because if one talks to a broad collection of people who claim to be christian they undoubtedly give different answers. As I gave an example of someone I studied with who was not true to the belief he held as an Assembly of God hypocrite.

I have found that christians tend to gloss over or go around what they are supposed to believe when trying to explain why they think they are saved and the gifts of the spirit are supposedly displayed in their groups.

I think for alot of people christianity is confusing because of the different answers one can get and also how difficult answers are given without clarity but a "because it so" is given.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Wozza,

Those that hear the voice of Christ belong to Him. He knows those who are His and those who are not. Those who profess Christ are encouraged to examine themselves II Cor.13:5 The best description I know of one who is saved by Jesus Christ is found in the Beatitudes. Matthew 5:3-12 It is the person who realizes his abject spiritual poverty; weeps over it, hungers and thirsts for the righteousness of Christ and is willing to share the gospel of Christ even if persecuted for doing so. The first step (verse 3) leads to all the others triggering the need to rely on the holiness of another. If we are not His, our prayer should be, "Lead me to Calvary"

Jesus said, that no one who comes to Him will be cast out. He went to the cross to save the lost and to deliver them from the powers of darkness. He is altogether wonderful and beautiful beyond description. There is no one on this planet that will be able to say truthfully to Jesus on that day, "I came to you sincerely Jesus and you rejected me." The universe that He created would implode if that were to happen. "Whosoever will, may come and take of the water of life freely." Rev.22:17

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

According to Jehovah's Witnesses teachings, who will be saved?

Helge Kåre Fauskanger writes:

Well, it’s a bit … complicated.

Ultimately, just who will be “saved” and gain eternal life supposedly normally won’t be decided before some point more than 1,000 years into the future! Yes, CE 3020 at the very earliest. Probably even later.

In Watchtower teachings, the current world order is about to be wiped out in Armageddon, God’s great war, and replaced by an earthly paradise where people will be frolicking with pandas and pet lions/tigers for a full millennium. Like this:

But — simply getting to live in the earthly paradise isn’t enough to secure permanent “salvation”, just a sort of necessary Step One. In Paradise, people will apparently finally learn the 100 % correct interpretation of the Bible (currently the Witnesses are still refining their doctrine after 140 years, so this is clearly a complicated matter), and the Paradisians will be raised to human perfection, physically and mentally.

But just reaching perfection isn’t the ultimate salvation, either. You must also make it through Step Two at the end of the 1,000-year program. Satan, who has been bound in the meantime, will be released by God and allowed to tempt the entire human race as it then exists to rebel against God. But this is really God’s way of weeding out the unworthy ones, who will then be eradicated forever, along with Satan himself. (Apparently Satan should stall his own execution by refusing to tempt anyone when he is released, thus derailing God’s plan, but the infinitely cunning Prince of Evil will somehow be too dumb to realize this. Doesn’t he read Watchtower literature, where everything is predicted in plain words, more than 1K years in advance?)

If you got through this Step Two alive, you are as “saved” as you will ever be in this religion, and you can potentially live on forever. (But of course, God will still eradicate you from the universe at once if you ever misbehave according to his standards, so don’t get any clever ideas.)

However, to even get to Step One you must first make it into the coming earthly paradise itself. Here there are essentially two options.

1. Be dead (in time). This is by far the easiest option. Watchtower teaches that once someone dies, their death pays for their sins and they are normally in line for resurrection on the paradise earth. There are some exceptions who just stay dead forever, such as those who have “sinned against the holy spirit”, but nobody seems quite certain what that even means, so don’t worry about it. Witnesses typically assure people that they can meet their loved dead ones again in Paradise, the doorknockers never inquring about the moral status of these dead individuals, much less about their interest (or likely lack of such) in the Watchtower message. If you are simply dead before God brings Armageddon to wipe out this world order and make room for the ensuing paradise, you can pretty much count on a resurrection into said paradise (with no conscious existence in the meantime). Deliberate suicide may be a risky strategy, since Jehovah doesn’t like that, but unhealthy living typically shouldn’t be a problem. Smoke, drink, do hard drugs, enjoy your colesterol, don’t let the red light bother you — you’ll wake up in paradise before you know it! .
    2. Be a Jehovah’s Witness (in good standing and with no serious hidden sins). This is the second, and far more demanding option if you want to make it through Armageddon into paradise alive. You must obey an elaborate set of rules that would make the Pharisees proud, hawk Watchtower literature, live by Puritan morals and promptly revise your religious views whenever the Watchtower Governing Body think it will be fun to tinker with the doctrines again. Salvationwise, this strategy has the perk that you may attain eternal life without ever dying at all, but since in this religion death is just unconsciousness, skipping Armageddon in favor of a dirt nap may arguably be the better scenario. If you are alive and a Jehovah’s Witness when Armageddon strikes, you are supposed to stand there cheering and happy as the world burns around you, God wiping out some seven billion people for … not being Jehovah’s Witnesses, essentially. And they won’t ever get a resurrection, either! Too bad they didn’t step in front of a bus in time.

The world is burning and billions are dying. YAY! The happiest day of our lives!

This, more or less, is how you get saved, Watchtower fashion.

• wozza
    wozza

Thanks Vanderhoven for your views even though I think you hedge around direct questions I know you are'nt the one who decides who is saved ,and that part of being saved is a getting that personal relationship with Jesus and faith. But as I tried to point out some one in rural China or any isolated place has a disadvantage in getting to have that faith thru circumstance ,now your faith might need to dismiss this issue by saying Jesus has the power to reach any worthy one, but from my view of history and the world as it stands now it does not allow this selective thinking.

That is a pretty good summation of the WTS view on things but it seems to be so tiresome to think that people need to be tested and re tested to get life and even then if one errs only once they will be destroyed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit