Are YOU saved?

by JW Answers 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Early on, I lived in a district which featured a large number of Brethren, Pentecostals, and some who were a mix of both. “Are you saved?” was a common question.

I am sure they believed it to be a loaded question to throw at the JWs.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Rivergang

Early on, I lived in a district which featured a large number of Brethren, Pentecostals, and some who were a mix of both. “Are you saved?” was a common question. I am sure they believed it to be a loaded question to throw at the JWs.

Actually, "Are you saved?" is an excellent "loaded" question because it forces JWs to pit their organizations' word against the word of God. The Bible clearly teaches that All believers in Christ are saved/justified.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

II Timothy 1:9 God has saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Acts 13:38-39 38 Therefore let it be known to you, men and brothers, that through this one forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39. And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Romans 3:21-26 21 But now God has shown us His righteousness; the law and the prophets tell us about it...God's righteousness comes to all who believe, just by their believing in Jesus Christ. There is no distinction. All have sinned and are without God's glory. They become righteous by a gift of His love, by the ransom Christ Jesus paid to free them. God set Him up publicly to pour out His blood before God to take away sin through faith, to show His righteousness...Now He wanted to show His righteousness, to be righteous Himself and make righteous anyone who believes in Jesus. (Beck)

Roman's 5:18 Therefore by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Notice that Romans 5:18 does not say: Therefore by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men 144, 000 unto justification of life.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

BettyHumpter the eskimo quote is a good one because it shows not all will have heard about Jesus, but the ones who have heard can make the choice to believe in him or not to . Luke chapter 12 : 47,48 parable shows people will be judged based upon their understanding.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"Luke chapter 12 : 47,48 parable shows people will be judged based upon their understanding."

Yes. Which means the best way to help those who have never heard about Jesus and sin is to not tell them.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Vanderhoven,

In direct contrast to the “Salvation by Report Card” story the WTS would have you believe!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Saved is past tense. If a person is inside a house engulfed in flames that person is not "saved" until someone else comes inside the house to retrieve him. Once the person inside the house is carried outside the house that person is "saved" from a fiery death.

My understanding of the Christian doctrine of salvation is that it refers to whether or not a person's "immortal soul" goes to heaven or hell after the body dies. So, salvation technically occurs after death. Anyone answering this question on this forum is unable to claim they have salvation as I am unaware of heaven having internet access.

"What are you being saved from?" It is not a "what" as in the illustration of the burning house, but a "whom". Who are you saved from? The answer is simple - Jesus.

Are you saved from Jesus' wrath?

Here is why Martin Luther wanted the book of James removed from the Bible -

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[a]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[b] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead. - James 2:14-26 NIV

Martin Luther taught the 5 Solas - Christians are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, as revealed by Scripture alone, to the glory of God alone.

James clearly says otherwise.

• wozza
    wozza

@ Rivergang - It was like that in my area years ago and the "born agains" (as we called them) would ask that question often when approached at their homes and we would reply according to whether we thought we were being saved in the conveluted way the WTS told us. I studied with a lot of born agains and one I remember went on about it, so I challenged him on that in the light of him having sex with a woman who was his neighbor and that he smoked weed, I asked him how the holy spirit can be in him ,how he was saved, and where then does his gift of tongues come from , considering he continued a sinful life. He just smirked and chuckled but he was still saved according to him.

@ Vanderhoven As regards Rom 1 vs 16 it says that "

For I am not ashamed of the gospel "

What gospel is this that saves when it is considered that he died about 64 AD and it appears that "the gospels" matthew mark luke and john maybe written after he lived?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi TBK and Wozza

Watchtower always brings up James to demonstrate that they are the only ones doing good works worthy of salvation. TBK, you are right that Watchtower objects to justification by faith alone, in Christ alone, in His blood alone by grace alone....because they are self-righteous and very proud of it...as were the Pharisees and Sadducees. Let's look at James for a moment.

James 2:20 - 26 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

This passage serves as a needed correction. Many people say they have faith, which their works deny. James concludes that dead or fake faith cannot save anyone and that genuine faith always leads to good fruit/works. He is right. But what about the apparent disconnect between Paul and James on the subject of Abraham's justification.

Comparing James with Paul on justification

James writes: Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? James 2:21

Paul writes: What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2. For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Rom. 4:1-3

How can we harmonize James and Paul on the subject of justification?

It is critical to note that Abraham was justified by faith before God not only prior to the giving of the law but also prior to offering Isaac on the alter, and actually even before Isaac was conceived. Genesis. 14:6

The solution is that Paul was talking about justification before God, while James was talking about justification before men. Show me thy faith by thy works,” says James, “let thy faith be justified in the eyes of those that behold thee by thy works;” but Paul speaks of justification in the sight of God, who justifies those that believe in Jesus, purely on account of the redemption that is in him.” Thus we see that persons are justified before God by faith, but faith is justified before men by works.

CONCLUSION: Genuine faith is invisible to all but God. Visible works alone can demonstrate to others that a person is truly justified. Works alone can attest to whether faith is genuine i.e., saving or justifying faith. However works are not the basis of salvation but rather the product of salvation.

What does it mean to be saved/justified?

The Greek scriptures talk about salvation in three tenses, past, present and future. Past and present salvation is identified by the term “justification” All Christian believers are justified.

Acts 13:39 KJV — And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Romans 5:1 KJV — Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Corinthians 6:11 KJV — And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

The gospel which Paul preached is the gospel by which we are saved. (I Cor.15:2)

So there are three aspects of spiritual salvation in the New Testament (The 3 P's)

Salvation from:

sins penalty – Ro.6:23, 5:16 - Justification (past, complete and so is not progressive)

sins power – I Cor.1:30, 6:11, Heb13:12 - Sanctification (past and progressive process)

sins presence – Ro. 8:30, I Pe. 5:4 - Glorification (future) I Pe.1:3-4, Col.1:3-5

Biblically, when a person repents and believes the gospel, he is justified (just as if I'd never sinned) and he receives the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit and becomes an adopted and sanctified son of God. Salvation/justification is a free gift; we cannot earn forgiveness nor the imputation of Christ's righteousness.(not by our works of righteousness anyway Titus 3:5, Eph 2:8 )

Salvation is always the gift of God.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    saved from what ?

@stanlivedeath - Judgment AFTER you die. Hebrews 9: 27 is a verse I never heard quoted at the KH even once in the decades I was a JW.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The question should be 'Saved from what?'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit