Daddy long legs..a cruel and unusual punishment

by Brummie 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Drunk daddy long legs sure walk funny.

I sense a new experiment coming up....hey Jgnat at least this one died happy (trying to make you feel a little better)

Can you say popcorn?

Bwahahahaahahahaaa

• Ed
    Ed
    anyhow I just heard that the most poisonous insect of all insects is daddy long legs wtf? Its said to be more poisonous than a black widow!

One of the most amazing things I ever saw was a fairly small DLL spider attack and kill a large black house spider about twenty times its own body size. This other spider had made its home in the corner of my bathroom window, and I would occasionally toss cockroaches and other bugs into its funnel-shaped web - at which point it would dart out, grab the insect with its huge fangs, and dart back into the funnel, often ripping the insect to pieces in the process. This thing was mean. Very aggressive, very strong, and very fast. Only thing it couldn't handle was mole crickets.

Anyway, one day I saw this spider come out of its funnel and sit on the outside of the web (as it did from time to time). I also saw a small daddy-longlegs above the window, but I thought nothing of it at the time. I left the room briefly to see if I could find anything to toss into the web, and when I came back the large spider was sitting exactly where it had been before, but stone dead. Attached to the back of its abdomen was the DLL spider, which had descended upon it and killed it instantly!

I also had a redback spider (related to the black widow) in the bathroom which I used to feed in the same way, and there was a daddy-longlegs that used to hang around its web and annoy it by trying to steal anything it caught. Occasionally they would come face-to-face and take a swipe at each other. It was fascinating to watch, but I was always surprised at how wary the redback was of the DLL. Now I know why.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I used to find red-back spiders in the backyard when I was a kid, and poke around it, but they weren't real fierce, and were more scared of me than me of it. Closest encounter to getting bit was when I was riding my trike, and I fell off it, and right from underneath the bar I had been standing on (yes, I wasn't riding it properly, lol) ran a big red back spider. It ran away, because as I said, they're more scared of you than you could be of it.

Red-back spiders are pretty venomous, if they bite you you'd get pretty sick, but I haven't heard of anyone dying from them.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

here's a cool insect

Praying Mantis

• Matty
    Matty

Daddy long legs must taste very nice to cats as my cat consumes vast numbers of them in the latter part of the summer. It's quite a horrible sight when she's chewing away and the legs are dangling out of her mouth, especially if they are still moving! Does anyone else's cats do this?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

RAYZORBLADE Said:

I have had so many spider bites on my head, neck and chest. Happens while I'm sleeping. Little buggers.

That's what happens when you pass out on the floor behind the bar !

• Englishman
    Englishman

What did the earwig say when it rolled off the table?

'Ere we go!

Englishman.

• Matty
    Matty

*groans at E'man*

I think this thread is much longer than it has any right to be!

• scotsman
    scotsman

I confess to torturing daddy long legs in a whole variety of ways.

I used to turn on a gas hob and then throw them through (learnt that from the Bible stories of passing children through he fire). Their legs would shrivel off but they'd survive. Alternately they'd get to spend a few minutes in the freezer after which I'd 'resurrect' then with the electric whatdyamacallit used to light the hob. I felt like God. Until my elder brother's girlfriend found out and was horribly disappointed with me. I'd had a bit of a crush on her so the insects were saved. I was also prone to burning any insect I could with a magnifying glass.

Hope there's never an insect revolution.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

LMAO @ XJW_B12 - sometimes....I will attribute my bites to a slightly altered conscious state.

Pleasuredome, we have some incredible praying mantis here. I catch them when I'm downtown, and bring them back to my neighbourhood at let them lose. They are so cool!

I've seen scorpions out west (Saskatchewan/Alberta) little yellow ones, a few inches long. I didn't bother them, just overturned a rock...presto! there they were.

I did have a tarantula crawl on my arm once; didn't bite, but it sure made me itchy!!

I'd love to see an Australian Huntsman spider. They look so cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit