The Reasoning Book

by Magnum 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

It's funny, I always thought it was a handy book to have, but I didn't use it very often. I'd been raised in and so I knew most of the basic talking points. The book might seem like a waste of time, but you'd be surprised at how many people --JWs and Christians of other denominations alike-- know very little about their religion or their religious books. The Reasoning book made it easier for unprepared JWs to deal with other unprepared people.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Reasoning Book had a section to address "False Prophets".

Interestingly, it did not mention Deut 18:18-22.

I wonder why.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Some other "friends" had a combo Bible made for us ( Bible, Reasoning Book, and Song book ) I would never have done it. I think the company doing the combining was "Stoops" or something like that. They did book bags, calendars, etc. I think there is a company called minstry Idez now doing the same sort of JW propaganda. Anyway, it looked like all the goody-goody JW wanted the Bible/reasoning book combo. ( and the other service equipment provided from those businesses set up just to take advantage of their fellow ministers ) I don't think I have a reasoning book here anymore...I threw out mostly everything save for the silver sword, which goes out soon.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

In a few years,, maybe less,,a jw owning a copy of the Reasoning book,, Revelation Climax book,,Live Forever book will equate to ""apostate literature".

• Dagney
    Dagney

OMG the Reasoning book.

I looked behind my desk at work and there it is. Haven't touched it in decades, but did use it to preach the message at one time. Actually converted two from work, one now out, not sure of the other.

I opened it and in the back it says "6/14/1985, San Diego." In the bin it goes.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Dagney;

Im hanging on to such books like those. Theyll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've hung on to some, including my original Paradise book from the 50's. But, I'm working on downsizing to a tiny home for retirement, and they are not going to make the cut eventually.

Lots of memories though.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Dagney,,I hear you.

As for me,, I have the originals of;

My book of Bible stiries 1978

Live Forever book 1982

Evolution or Creation (circa 1985)

Revelation Climax book 1988

Reasoning book 1985

Proclaimers book 1993.

Those are,,,,just a few that come to mind. I know there are more if I dig through down there.

You'll have to pry them from my cold,,dead hands!!!

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has a history of rewriting their publications to conform with current teachings. https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/failed-1914-predictions.php

Studies In the Scriptures - Thy Kingdom Come pre 1914Studies In the Scriptures - Thy Kingdom Come post 1914 editions
    "That the deliverance of the saints must take place some time before 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel, as we shall see, is appointed to take place at that time, and the angry nations will then be authoritatively commanded to be still, and will be made to recognize the power of Jehovah's Anointed. Just how long before 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ will be glorified, we are not directly informed; but it certainly will not be until their work in the flesh is done; nor can we reasonably presume that they will long remain after that work is accomplished. With these two thought in mind, we can approximate the time of the deliverance."
    Click here for scan of 1911 edition
    "That the deliverance of the saints must take place very soon after 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel, as we shall see, is appointed to take place at that time, and the angry nations will then be authoritatively commanded to be still, and will be made to recognize the power of Jehovah's Anointed. Just how long after 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ will be glorified, we are not directly informed; but it certainly will not be until their work in the flesh is done; nor can we reasonably presume that they will long remain after that work is accomplished."
    Click here for scan of 1923 edition
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Good pick-up Blondie!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit