Does anyone miss those tuneful 'kingdom melodies' ?

by frankie 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• frankie
    frankie

Hi, Is there anyone out there who cannot bear those appalling kingdom melodies we had to sing ? I never liked them one bit, did you ? So wonderful to hear proper hymns (not that I'm a churchgoer) but at least they have some fantastic music. And when some hymns are sang in the venue of a beautiful church, you do at least get the sense of something glorious and uplifting. I'm afraid the kingdom melodies, for me, were on a par with the sort of music you get in a lift or a shopping precinct - simply dreadful. And do you remember, at assemblies, we would always have to sing "We thank you Jeh" at the end? Then some poor souls would have tears in their eyes and talk about it afterwards ! Heavens above, how did we put up with it all. Apologies if you've already discussed this topic - I'm new (though been a non-witto now for 15 years). Frankie (UK, South West)

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Hi Frankie, and welcome aboard.

I think I can safely say that every one here disliked the Kingdom Melodies ... Most of them were horrible, and the words hardly ever really were in tune with the music. And then, when the whole cong was singing ... it didn't sound all that good, now did it? Most brothers and sisters would mumble the words, and it was a rare witness that sang out loud [and out of tune at that], at least in my cong.

But I do have to admit, I had my favorites that I would like [ blame it on brainwashing ]

But the most horrible part about the songs for me, was the fact that my pioneer friend insisted of practising the songs before the meeting! Aaaargh, it was bad enough I had to pre-study the watchtower, but then having to sing the songs as well, that was too much.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Hi Frankie and greetings. Just a thought, did you have to bring up the dead? One or two maybe, the one's with the beat to it, you know. Other than that, the Hermon monster show had better music.

Guest 77

• Latte
    Latte

Welcome Frankie!

The kinggum Molodies are the one reason I would go back....really...

Fortunately I have the melodies on cassette....so i get by.

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Frankie Welcome aboard!! Some of the songs were 'nice'..... and occasionally I find myself humming them, but I quickly stop myself hehehehehe By the way where in the SW are you.. we are in SE. Mrs Nightwarrior

• MRC
    MRC

My english is not good, but I guess that all of you guys are ex-JW´s... Why did you stopped going to the weekly meetings??? I thought it was a active JW´s forum.

• Scully
    Scully

Yeah..... I miss hearing the Kingdom Melodies as much as I miss being in labour (unmedicated).

Love, Scully

• Whatever
    Whatever

Oh my god - So, no one else can say that they have been driving along and had a song stick in their head's --- forver???? I heard a song on the radio the other day that sounded familiar and I couldn't think what it was reminding me of.... then I remembered that it was a particular song, haha - like number 115 or something. UGGG, that nasty little kaka-brown colored book. But, yeah. I did have my favorite tunes. The only ones that I can think of now are "We're Jehovah's Witnesses; we speak out in fearlessness, blah,blah, blah" And "Let's watch how you talk and watch how you walk in somethin, somethin, somethin, somethin..." Anyone else have an annoying tune you can''t get out of your head?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

At the risk of sounding like a dork....I actually enjoyed the tapes melody tapes...the ones that blended them together to a whole side of nonstop music.

But, I really like some choral music, Gregorian chant (with or without Enya) and pipe organ music...or courese classical music.

Because I grew up po' the only music my mother would get were the kingdom melodies. I really like them...

call me a wierdo, but that is one thing I do miss...the music...definately not all of the songs that is for sure.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

"FIRM and DETERMINED...blah blah blah blah blahhhhhhhhh"

that song gets stuck in my head all the time...along with Be glad nations...etc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit