2017 Service Year Report Worldwide - INDIVIDUALLY LISTED LANDS and COUNTRIES

by darkspilver 61 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I see that the UK is "Britain" once again. Someone please tell those guys that the term "Great Britain" is the correct geographical term and not a description of the Great Satan's best friend.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Wowee wow wow ... the U.S. lost 462 congregations, but gained 600 publishers? How is that possible?

They have been busy doing congregation re-orgs, filling Kingdom Halls to capacity, and selling off the rest.

• freddo
    freddo

Colombia + 1.6% yet loses 213 congregations. Strange.

Russia seems to have EXACTLY the same as last year on all stats. ???

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks dark. Did you compile these figures yourself, from individual pages on JW website?

For clarification, I thought 1.4% increase was the summarised worldwide growth in average publishers. Is that wrong? Or is it a coincidence that the increase in average publishers matches the increase in peak publishers for this year?

Using peak figures for growth is not ideal because it's not comparable with previous years. But if it's all we've got we need to make do.

The congregation numbers are really interesting.

There is no change in the figures for Russia. Is this because no report has been produced for 2017 because of the ban?

Lots of interesting figures. So many countries lost congregations. To me that's the most important statistic. But Colombia lost 213 congregations, while growing 1.6% Is that a mistake?

It strikes me once again that two of the countries with the strongest growth, Brazil and Angola, are both Portuguese speaking countries. I wonder if there is any reason for that. Portugal itself is also growing, in contrast to most of Europe.

The decline in Germany is quite amazing. They have lost 41 congregations in a single year, despite massive immigration to Germany over the last few years.

Poland and Japan continue to decline at quite a steady rate.

The massive increase in the Democratic Republic of Congo last year has not been repeated this year.

I am a bit surprised that they continue to grow in Australia despite all the bad publicity.

Netherlands continues to decline. They have been quietly declining for decades now.

The huge loss of congregations in the United States has not really been replicated elsewhere. Perhaps they are following a different policy because most financial gains from consolidation can be realised in the United States. Or maybe the policy of consolidation will be rolled out to other countries in the future.

I wonder why Ukraine is still adding 32 congregations this year when the publisher numbers have been in decline for years.

On the flip side. Tanzania has nearly 1000 more publishers but lost 12 congregations.

South Africa lost 58 congregations. That's pretty huge.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I find the figures for Ireland hard to follow, an increase in Peak Pubs, but a big increase in the ratio of general population to Pubs, which translates to a huge minus % in the last column.

Would this not mean that Ireland has had a huge population increase in just one year ???

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sometimes the population figures jump around because they are estimates based on projections and then census figures produce surprises. So from one year to the next population figures can jump, not necessarily reflecting real population growth over a single year, but catching up. This has a knock on effect on the publisher to population ratio. All these figures are best analysed over the longer term because such blips can affect trends over a year or two.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Having said all that - you are correct 27% is a huge jump and is probably a mistake of some kind!

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Japan - Remember the days when Japan was shoved in your face as the leading lights of Theocraptrick advancement - Pioneers galore ....and now..............

Growth in my country due to Refugee / Migrants and Asylum seekers. So you make one Dub from them and meantime this Dub brings all their family and friends over the borders and so- staying with this Dub [ no where else to stay] they naturally come along to the hall for the human interaction. Its warm and fuzzy and achieves a certain fulfillment in life for a displaced lonely person in a foreign land with a foreign language. French speaking African countries are biggest source of movement to South Africa. [Some damn nice folk among them too ! - We have Dub working as a carer for non-Dub family who are old and senile - Truly lovely person. Such a pity they have been Dubbed -

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

slimboyfat

For clarification, I thought 1.4% increase was the summarised worldwide growth in average publishers. Is that wrong? Or is it a coincidence that the increase in average publishers matches the increase in peak publishers for this year?

Year-on-year growth for Average Publishers was 1.43407% - which rounds down to 1.4%

Year-on-year growth for Peak Publishers was 1.39386% - which rounds up to 1.4%

Using Peak Publishers is not great - but the table compares like-with-like, Peak 2016-with-Peak 2017

See also my comments here

Regarding Russia see my comments here

The congregation numbers are really interesting.

I don't think you can look purely at number of congregations, you need to look as how many publishers are in each one - in the US they average 91 publishers-per-congregation.

Colombia lost 213 congregations, while growing 1.6%

In practical terms it means that the 173,802 publishers in Coloumbia have gone from an average of 67 publishers-per-congregation to 74 publishers-per-congregation.

In comparision, their 'next-door' neighbour, Venezuela, with 149,355 publishers has an average of 79 publishers-per-congregation.

The decline in Germany is quite amazing. They have lost 41 congregations in a single year, despite massive immigration to Germany over the last few years.

They still have an average of just 78 publishers-per-congregation.

South Africa lost 58 congregations. That's pretty huge.

I don't really think so - I believe South Africa was the country that was featured in the July 2017 Broadcast regarding KH seat utilization!!

See: WT VIDEOS: Merging Congregations and Seat Utilization (from Nov 2016 and July 2017)

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The WT’s LDC is very active in the US in property management. They are calling the shots in closing congregations and selling underused halls. Local people dont have the autonomy that they used to have. Real Estate has become a major source of revenue for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit