Need help - the Revelation Climax book

by ozziepost 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Is it an original from the Graphics Department?

Anyone know?

• ozziepost
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

Is it an original from the Graphics Department?

What do you mean?

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Don't think they would have contacted it out.

RB.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It seems the pic I’m referring to has not appeared on the post. 😠

It’s the one of the harlot riding the scarlet coloured wild beast that has seven heads and ten horns.

My understanding was that it’s a Watchtower original and they didn’t crib it from elsewhere.

Am I correct? Is what I’m asking.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Am I correct? Is what I’m asking.

That is a very hard question to answer because first of all in order to lawfully use someone’s art, you need their permission and in order to avoid any infringement or other claims monetary or otherwise, JW would obviously use original artwork from wt artists following legal guidelines in creating the illustrations. Unlike a photo of a painting or an artifact that wt sometimes uses in wt publications with permission or the right to do so, there is no reason to believe that an illustration or drawing used in wt literature is created by some hired non-JW who potentially could make a claim sometime. How then do wt artist create their artwork? Again, they are given legal parameters. These guys are not mickey mouse artists, they are talented and qualified and can produce original artwork and hopefully legal to use. But sometimes as you personally know, people get angry or like to be funny or don’t follow guidelines. So, that is why it is hard to answer your question. True the illustration is created by wt artists but how they did it depends on if they followed the parameters.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes I think it is. Most of the illustrations in Revelation are Watchtower originals apart from the photos. That’s not to say they didn’t get inspiration from another source but I haven’t seen any claims about this particular image being derivative. They have similar images in earlier books. If I was looking to find similar images from other religious groups the first place I would look is the Seventh-day Adventists.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I’ve never heard of anybody riding a cat. My cat would jump on top of me all of a sudden and like to climb on my head when I was helpless like on the phone or with my hands doing something. He would purr and drool all over me. What a crazy cat. He would take my hand and pet himself with it and if I didn’t pet him on my own then he would bite me.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I had a quick look at google images and it looks like there are many depictions of the harlot riding the beast. I doubt that the watchtower's depiction was original.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I had a close acquaintance who was a trained artist who later went to Brooklyn Bethel art department. The way he drew images was to have a photo or other image to copy from. That is the way he got the perspective and angles right. For instance he wanted to have three deer in a mural (I was the gopher for him on the project), and all he had at hand was one photo to work from, so all three deer had the same body posture and leg positioning.

The beast and harlot image from the Revelation book is certainly original, but it is likely that a <very> similar drawing could be found from another source.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit