Candace Conti

by Pubsinger 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• WireRider
    WireRider

She did win. But the appeal already reduced the award significantly. This case was obviously still in appeal litigation. The WT could draw it out for years. Or there was no need for a settlement.

I think it can be a real blueprint for future cases.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The view from the pro JW community is that she took the money and run, reneging on her claim that she did not care about the money but wanted to force the WTS to change their policies.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Yeah why shouldn't she, good luck to her.
  • Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Please don't get me wrong! I am NOT criticising Candace Conti at all. She deserves everything she was paid by the WT and it still would not compensate for what she suffered.

I was just commenting on a system that allows an institution like WT to buy silence when compensating its own victim.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Whatever money she did receive, I hope she'll be using it to rebuild her life and create happy experiences which will help to bury most of the trauma caused by her two assailants - Jonathan Kendrick and the WTBTS.

Live a long and peaceful life Candace, with a clean conscience - something the Org's hierarchy don't deserve.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

The thing that many do not understand though is that herself and her laywer said it was not about money but exposing the organisation and getting them to change their policies.

Whilst she did get media attention many dubs still do not know who she is and nothing has changed policy wise therefore coming to an agreement with the WT and agreeing to a gagging order is not in line with her or her laywers stated purpose in why they were doing what they did in the first place.

The WT simply bought her silence.

Personally I would have done the same and probably well before she did but it seems strange to many exjws that she fought the cause, said her motivation was not money but to expose and push through or help reform within the WT but then she quickly agrees a deal with the WT and a gagging order.

She deserves all the happiness she can get, as do all who have suffered at the hands of abusers hidden within the WT.

Hopefully, she has laid the groundwork for others to come forward and be brave like she did and sue the gits.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

She didn't quickly agree a deal though.

She spent years going through a litigation process that the WTS fought every step of the way.

I think it became clear to everyone that the WTS would never publicly change policy for one person. If CC had stuck to her guns re principles then she would get nothing. No procedural change. No compensation. No way of paying her bills.

She has achieved loads. She got lots of publicity against the WTS. She has made it a hell of a lot easier for others to come forward. I suspect she has or will influence some change in policy, even if it's to just reduce the risk of successful litigation against the WTS in the future.

I think she has done what any pragmatic and sensible person would do - make sure you walk away with something.

CC can hold her head up high. I really hope she can move on now and put this nightmare behind her.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Watchtower Corporation did well for Jonathan Kendrick in its operative workings which helped him getting off from any criminal penalization for his sexual abuse of Candace Conti.

This particular attack would have resulted in him spending a very long time in jail being that it would have been his second offence in this crime. Jesus Christ gave him redemption and also the JWS organization.

He might have had the forethought in assuming there was not going to be two witnesses when he did attack Candace, even if he did get caught the organization would just give him a slap on the wrist.

The WTS organization to him was perceived as a kind of protection from receiving harsh penalties which he would have received outside of it.

The internal perception of people having personal redemption can cause people to do really harmful irresponsible things to others and toward themselves.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The win from the perspective of victims is the cumulative incremental wins that take place over a wide range of battles. The CC case was a very big battle, the WT lost on so many levels. This in combination with the RC hearings were the most recent major losses for the WT. I am sure this played into their downsizing strategy.

The war is not over, but there is no question that Watchtower is in retreat mode.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, she did well to shake things up and get so much attention but in the end she has to do what is right for her and her family.

Any settlement by a corporation to pay up usually includes a non-disclosure agreement if it's between the parties / not issued by the court. It's what they get out of it - basically, the settlement is the amount the have to pay for someone's silence.

Let's hope it was huge but whatever it was we know it must have hurt - money is the thing they love most after all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit