Candace Conti

by Pubsinger 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• karter
    karter

I understand her wanting to settle the matter and get on with her life instead of years and years of re hashing the abuse in court in front of everyone.

Just a thought the"Gagging order" can only be enforced in the country it was issued the U.S courts have no jurisdiction outside the U.S,So if was to be put on a web site out of another country what could the U.S courts do about it?

If she denied all knowledge of how it got there the WTS would have to prove she had some hand in putting it there.

Karter.

• Simon
    Simon

It isn't a gagging order (which would rely on jurisdiction - e.g. to newspaper reporting). The non-disclosure means that if you disclose it then you have violated the agreement and it doesn't matter the manner that is done or where it's done. Normally that would mean repaying the money and possibly penalties. Even if you have an employment disagreement then similar things often apply to settlements and technically you can't tell anyone about it.

We already know the details of the WTS crime and what penalties the court awarded and now that there was an out-of-court settlement.

That is as much as we can know and should want to know - pushing for more information would put Candace in a bad situation which isn't something any of us should want.

• blondie
    blondie

So WireRider were you abused by a jw member? Or were you abused by a non-jw and pursue it legally?

It is easy to speculate what someone else should do in that situation if you have never lived it. I faced the WTS representatives at a time when secular laws regarding abuse were weak to nonexistent. Of my siblings only my sister still could pursue it legally and she was emotionally a wreck. I did not see where forcing her or guilting her to pursue it in court would do anything more than abuse her more. Candace was more than brave, she was willing to risk her emotional well-being. Settling is not cowardice. She provided much publicity that the WTS could not hide before that settlement. I know that she is still the strong, brave woman who had the support of her mother.

If anyone is interested in the facts do research. No guessing or speculating, no judging her by what we think we would have done.

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

Almost 100% of all court settlements come with a stipulation that the aggrieved party not discuss the settlement. That is how the U.S. legal system works no matter how big or small the case is.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

All I can say is a HUGE thank you to Candace Conti, she bravely took on the JW Machine with the sole motive of wanting them to do the Morally Right thing and protect the vulnerable.

She had to endure all the evil machinations of the JW Org to see her case to a conclusion. This must have taken a great toll, on a person already abused, not just by an individual, the paedophile Kendrick, but by this evil Corporation, JW Dot Org.

She has shown the courage and fortitude of a truly selfless campaigner, and she has blazed a trail for others to come forward and force this frankly disgusting, paedophile protecting, Organization to do their duty.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    The original appellate decision stands. The only thing dismissed was the WTBTS appeal of the decision that declared them negligent and awarded her money. They came to a settlement related to the money that they were ordered to pay Candice. The courts decision stands and is a published verdict. The WT has that one as a loss, no matter how some JWs like to consider it a win.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Candace fought the good fight.

Even if she only got a dollar out of the whole thing, that makes her a winner in my book.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

a) The WT is a small organization when you look at the world total. Nobody, outside of us cares.

b) The people that do care and research it, will find out that she settled out of court and make their conclusions

c) Legal stuff like this is hard and every time she has to go to court, what happened to her is repeated. Sure it's unfair for the victim but it's harder for victims to go through our court system than settle

d) The settlement hits the WT just as hard if not harder than to pay out what the court decided.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Anony Mous - "The settlement hits the WT just as hard if not harder than to pay out what the court decided."

There's definately an element of truth to that, for three reasons that I can think of...

a) it's a blow to the Org's pride, and that's always helpful...

b) it arguably contributes to the Org's "death by a thousand cuts"...

c) even though a shark can do serious damage, hundreds of little hungry piranhas can arguably do far worse, IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit