Candace Conti

by Pubsinger 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

So we know that WT settled out of court for an undisclosed sum and that presumably there was a 'gagging order' attached to the settlement.

Not having really thought about what a 'confidentiality clause' meant before, I assumed in the past that it meant that you weren't allowed to disclose the amount of the SETTLEMENT or any details about it. But from the total and absolute silence once the settlement was made, I can only assume that it is a TOTAL gagging order.

How can the Courts allow such a restriction to be put on a victim? Protecting the abusers and allowing the institution to cover up the lengths they go to to avoid admitting their guilt? Sure the amount maybe should stay confidential but someone like Candace Conti still has a story to tell and surely should not be suppressed like this by her abusers?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If they settled out of court, it was the choice of the parties involved, the courts cannot prevent a person from reaching a settlement.

And her name is Candace Conti, not Conte.

And what she probably agreed to was not a "gagging order", but a non disclosure clause. A gag order (not gagging) is usually issued by a judge during a trial to prevent people from talking about it. Again, it was an agreement between the two parties in the case, the courts cannot (and should not) prevent two parties from reaching such an agreement.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

A gag order not a 'gagging order'?

Glad you cleared that one up!

Sorry for Conte instead of Conti.

• WireRider
    WireRider

The "Agreement" is binding between both parties. The WT likely agree to pay more than expected, and pay for all here legal expenses. When an individual, or small company, goes after someone that big, they can just wear you down and make it run out for years. I'm sure she and her lawyers were acutely aware of this, and made her an offer to end it. I'm sure her lawyers were getting buried in costs and had to asses the risks in court or wait for years to see if they ever get paid.

The agreement probably has a provision that if she ever discloses ANYTHING about the matters/case it may void the binding agreement and she would have to forfeit any financial consideration (payoff money). It was done very intentionally to prevent her from being a witness is any other case they are worried about.

I think it's safe to say that she did not request the non-disclosure clause. The public can say that the WT paid her off - to keep her mount shut - and cannot ever testify. Rock and a hard place. She can be called to testify or held in contempt. But if she does, the binding agreement is separate. She would have to give the money back and left with HUGE legal bills to pay on her own.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

And that is my point WireRider.

The Courts must know why big institutions make these kind of settlements, so they could protect victims by warning these big boys that they will not allow them to bully and silence victims even in their settlements.

• smiddy
    smiddy

One very good thing about Candace Conti`s case , she had a lot of media exposure before the settlement date .

So she did achieve a lot by holding out as long as she did.

Kudos to her.

smiddy

• WireRider
    WireRider

The simple answer: They can't.

The courts are by definition, and necessity, have to be impartial. They can not support either side.

What probably happened is that her lawyer met with their lawyers. They hashed out an offer. Her lawyers, probably deep in the red, realistically, advised her to take the offer or this can go on buried in paperwork for years - if any settlement at all, ever. She was probably going to have to appear in court every couple of weeks for years. I've been there. It is very personally/emotional exhausting. They count on that too.

They both agreed to terms. They write a one page court order mutually requesting that the case be dismissed. Judge asks if they both agree - if yes, it is over in the court. Nothing that the judge or courts can do about it. The court never even gets a copy of the settlement documents.

The WT is well aware that everything in court is a matter of public record. All transcripts, and filed papers, can be requested by a FOIA (freedom of information act) request by anyone. They did not want more in the records - and her shut up.. So they probably paid extra to silence the case.

It happens everyday. Individuals vs. big insurance companies. Pay a little extra "hush" money - hide all the details so they don't look bad, and no one can use the case in the future cases. Sworn statements in a court case can be used as evidence in other cases. Big technology companies steel patents from small ones because they have more money and can outlast small companies.

Once two parties reach a settlement they request to drop the cases. The settlement can really include anything. Most Judges know what's going on, but there is nothing they can do about it.

I hate it too. But you can reliably say that she obviously was paid off to sweep it under the rug.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Sorry, but you can't sweep anything under the rug that has already been exposed. Candace took this case to a jury and received a very large judgment and at the same time exposed the JW org for what it is.

She also gave countless survivors/victims the strength to make the call to lawyers who were glad to look into their complaints. Many of us are greatful for her courage and follow through.

The fact that she has accomplished so much and now wishes to end it, is in no way being paid off to sweep anything under the rug in my opinion. I think she just wants to move. I certainly can understand and repect that.

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

To be honest I am very thankful to Candace, this case made me sit back and think, "Wo, whats going on here". This was one of the factors that made me wake up.

I hope she has peace now in her life now.

• WireRider
    WireRider

It's really too much to ask of anyone. (with a lot of legal advice and planning) If it were me, I would leak enough of the settlement details, until it pisses off the WT. Wait until they take me to court. Put the whole case and settlement online. The WT would have to provide a copy of the settlement to the Judge as evidence. Lawyers get to question both sides - now into public record.

Find a way to loose/hide the settlement money. I would claim to have put it all into KH box donations. I guess they don't keep track. Ha - subpena all their accounting records to prove it.

If I loose and I am ordered to repay the money - file for bankruptcy. Off the hook. (this is the reverse of how little people can get back at big corps).

Wait for the dust settle while I write a book about the whole experience. Sexual abuses. The cult. Include all the public records and transcripts and a full copy of the settlement agreement.

They can't take you to court for the same thing twice as it has already been ruled upon.

Retire on the royalties.

I would be pleased to see a complete expose book in my local book store. Probably a lot of sales to the Protestant and Catholic too, perhaps just out of curiosity. It would be great exposure.

Non-disclosure court settlements invariably start "with no admission of guilt ... we will payout 5 million" Uh huh. By the WT paying out, it validates the whole case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit