Is this how you saw your Armageddon? I sure did :(

by Diogenesister 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Jidders I met this nice Indian girl and her pet tiger (stereotypical subconscious eh?) She was cool

Ha ha amazing!Got to have the pet tiger (did he have a beach ball like the Watchtower lion?!)

It would be interesting to visualize everyones picture of paradise. As says, guarantee most of it would not be possible in this world right now, with the exception sadly of the reserrection.

Ive even seen lions and goats being friends, cats nursing baby budgies and chickens nursing kittens etc. Crazy animal friendships :))

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

* Sorry I meant as Xanthippe says most of it would be possible in this world even now.

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

I believed and also thought Armageddon was going to be a major killfest but sometime in my youth or teenage years I just checked out. Yeah there were times when I thought I needed to do more , service meetings etc but in all reality I was still mostly checked out. Still don’t know why and have done a lot of soul searching trying to figure out when.

I do remember once during a talk thinking about how the people of London had to flee under ground to escape being killed by German bombs and really thought that that’s how it would be for us neutral JWs. The whole idea was scary to a young kid so maybe that’s when it happen to me. I mentally checked out after my mind couldn’t handle it, I don’t know.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I naively just accepted what and how the WT depicted it in there illustrations without giving too much thought to it.

Silly me.

• baldeagle
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I think most JW's have vague abstract notions about Armageddon, Paradise and what living forever would be like. I think the main concern for them is not growing old and dying and or not being destroyed at Armageddon. I don't think they think about it in any real detail, they just fill in the blanks with whatever soothes their own personal fears and makes them stop thinking about reality in general...especially the reality of what they say they believe. On some level they know that thinking about it too much will be the death of the magical illusion that keeps them buoyed psychologically.

For me, I was more concerned about the "GREAT TRIBULATION" and how I could possibly remain "faithful" while being tortured, which we were assured would happen. One of my big childhood fears was that during the tribulation "THEY" would threaten to injure my little sisters if I didn't "renounce my faith. How could a 10 year old boy possibly stand firm while witnessing his little sisters being tortured and why would anyone care if I lied and said I didn't believe in Jehovah anymore, just to keep save them. Then I'd hear them talk about Shadrach Meshach and Abednego the Hebrew boys who stood firm and were thrown into the fiery furnace. I always wondered what happened to them after that. Surely they went on to live noteworthy lives after having survived being thrown into a furnace. What was this furnace for and how come those boys were never mentioned again in the Bible. Was that the highlight of their life?

Anyway, I figured that if I could get through the TRIBULATION, the rest was up to Jehovah and there was nothing I could do about that part of it. I only hoped that I wouldn't die from being tortured or at the hand of Jehovah at Armageddon because not only would it be really painful but it would also mean I could never get married and have a family. This was a pretty sick way for a child to grow up but that's how it was and there's nothing I can do to undo the damage it has caused me.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    why would anyone care if I lied and said I didn't believe in Jehovah anymore, just to keep save them. Then I'd hear them talk about Shadrach Meshach and Abednego the Hebrew boys who stood firm and were thrown into the fiery furnace. I always wondered what happened to them after that. Surely they went on to live noteworthy lives

They didn't need to be mentioned again did they Pete, they'd already done their job of teaching vulnerable young minds we need to suffer for our faith. I'm sorry you had such fear as a child because of the threat of the great tribulation hanging over you and your sisters, that's awful.

I have often thought the same, why would anyone care if you said you didn't believe in God when questioned by potential torturers, just to stay safe? That mythical Bible story and similar ones have been responsible for the suffering and death of countless thousands of believers. Sickens me.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I confess that at the time of being a witness I didn't really dwell on the nuts and bolts of how Armageddon might take place. I was probably thinking that if Big J was going to do it then he would manage it OK for the faithful. Just writing this makes me feel an idiot, fancy believing such childish nonsense of Armageddon and paradise in the first place.

The trend now is that the GB are no longer allowing for an easy passage into the "new world".

The governing body have introduced a new and sinister element namely a fear of secular authority coming for them with all the force it has.This scenario seems to be based on a drama of aliens (JWs) being sought after and hunted down during wartime. This is creating a raised anxiety level which the GB are milking in their favour, demanding the flock listen even more carefully to what they call "God's organisation".

As the JW religion declines in influence, as with all failing cults they have to ramp up the fear and loyalty to compensate.

And in the meantime its back to the doctors for another anti-depressant............

• The 12 Apostates
    The 12 Apostates

I was so unclued up on doctrine as a young born-in that I didn't even realise the great tribulation and armageddon were separate events till well after I'd left the religion behind. The absence of any real clarity in the publications didn't help, nor did the lack of internet access on my part.

• zeb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit