Another Question for Those Against Capital Punishment

by StinkyPantz 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Gita-

No need to educate me on why you disagree with CP. I will soon be entering the world of criminal justice, so I know your reasons. I just want to know why you'd so adamently speak against CP, but at the same time have a problem with a person serving 15 years for taking another's life. What do you want?

English-

Lethal injection is painless. Actually, quite often the person enters a euphoric state before they die. How is that cruel?

Also you said,

Who'd want to live in a country where the government sponsors the killing of it's own citizens? Mark my words, if the government has such a high disregard for human life, then so will it's citizens also.

This is a major insult considering you don't even know me. I have a high regard for human life. When my best friend (age 9) was killed and then later her brother and sister by her father, I admit that his life was worthless in my eyes. He'd taken away three, how did he still deserve the one he'd been given?

ThiChi-

All murders are not the same event. Executions are saved for the worst and serve obvious utilitarian ends.

Thank you for pointing out the fact that only the worst of murderers are even executed.

Vash-

Like a rich person has never went to prison . I suppose in a perfect world you'd be right. How would you feel if a convicted child murderer after having spent only 10 years in prison lived next door to you? I would preferred that person be dead than put my child's life in danger, but that's just me.

BTW some people do not deserve to live. A person whose biggest thrill is killing others does not deserve to live. Suppose they enter prison and continue killing?

Gita-

history shows conservatives just get off on killing people.

Thanks for getting ignorant, I was waiting for someone to. I actually have a considerable leaning towards to liberal side, so what's your point?

rem-

I agree.

Double-

I appreciate you pointing out the obvious fact that those that commit the crimes know the consequences and yet still commit them. They dug their grave.

outoftheorg-

I agree that CP isn't great, but I prefer it to letting someone out in 15 years, bitter at the world, with nothing to lose.

proplog-

Not really. It's interesting tho that no one is actually answering my question.

Ash-

If you could show me an article or study where someone was exonerated after being executed I'd like to see it.

As for a victim still being dead even if the murderer lives means nothing. The fact that on average they only spend 6 years in jail is the problem.

angelkins-

I missed your point. . .

patio34-

So if you saw a man kill your child and he's out in 10 years, that's better than him being executed? The fact is that most murderers DO NOT get life w/o parole, you can wish it all you want, but that's not how it is.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Stinky,

Lethal injection is painless. Actually, quite often the person enters a euphoric state before they die. How is that cruel?

Read the inserted page and tell me if you still agree.

I also said:

Who'd want to live in a country where the government sponsors the killing of it's own citizens? Mark my words, if the government has such a high disregard for human life, then so will it's citizens also.

My apologies for over generalising, I should have used the term "possible tendency to sometimes disregard human life". No insult was intended.

Englishman.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Englishman-

I read it (already knew it anyway) and it in no way changes any of my views. So what if a lethal injection takes an hour? These same people could've tortured their victims for hours or days w/no empathy, why should we have any for them?!

Nothing goes smoothly all of the time. Heart surgery, chemotherapy and other life-saving treatments are at times painful or get botched, should we stop those?

• Dansk
    Dansk

How many people would still be against capital punishment if it were their small child that got taken off, then raped, then battered to death? While we sit in our homes and pontificate about the rights and wrongs of humanity it is all so easy to be judgemental against those who are pro capital punishment and, moreso, those that actually have the power to instigate it.

YES!, we're ALL concerned over an innocent person being executed - but that's not the issue here (and I apologise, Stinky, for not answering your question exactly - but, as expected, this thread threw up further points). Assuming a murderer is actually caught and that murder was not caused through some act of revenge (e.g. a man's daughter gets raped so he takes revenge) then I say CP is in order. I agree with Stinky totally. 15 years doesn't mean that. A murderer gets out in, say, 6 years and is free to live and virtually do whatever he/she likes while his/her victim is dead and the victim's family pays EVERY day for the rest of their lives!

There are far too many do-gooders around when it comes to this subject. To take an innocent person's life is the most heinous crime imaginable and the perpetrator must pay the ultimate penalty. Execution does not have to be done in a barbaric fashion. Lethal injection is given to animals by vets to put them out of their misery. I held my beloved German Shepherd in my arms while this method was performed and he died peacefully. That's what I'd ask be performed on a muderer - others wouldn't be so "kind".

Dansk

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I think that most people that are anti-CP have never had a loved one murdered.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I think that most people that are anti-CP have never had a loved one murdered.

Well yes, most people haven't had a loved one murdered in the first place, regardless of whether they are pro or against CP. I know that the murder rate per person in the US is around 40 times greater than in the UK, so maybe that's why I have never ever met someone who has had a loved one killed at the hands of someone else. Englishman.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Stinky:

Here is why your question isn't going to be very productive:

You are presenting false alternatives. You are assuming too few alternatives and at the same time, assuming that one of the suggested alternatives must be true.

Yours is a textbook case of this fallacy because you end up with only two alternatives. That's why this fallacy is sometimes called the "black-and-white" fallacy.

This is an oversimplification of the situation by a failure to entertain or at least recognize all the possible alternative solutions. Thinking in extremes requires much less mental effort than looking dilligently for all possible solutions to a problem. The implicit premise is that all possible solutions to this problem can be reduced to only two alternatives represents a lack of imaginative effort. Your "either-or" premise is part of a lousy argument.

Now let me ask you a question:

Do the alternatives that you set forth exhaust all the possible alternatives?

Don't you think that if you really tried you could be imaginative enough to think of some others?

That is why I suggest going on Google.com and thoroughly investigating this issue.

There is something seriously wrong with the United States, Communist China, & the Arab world and their choice to remain in the dark ages.

• rem
    rem
    There is something seriously wrong with the United States, Communist China, & the Arab world and their choice to remain in the dark ages.

I have no objection to those who disagree with CP because of the chance of killing innocent civillians. My objection is to those who believe that they are on some sort of moral high ground because they don't believe in CP (or conversly believe that those who find CP acceptable are somehow in the 'dark ages'). I would like to hear a well reasoned argument of why killing proven murderers is uncivilized or morally unacceptable.

Again - 'civilized' nations all around the globe don't bat an eye about taking away many other 'inalienable rights' from convicts, but when it comes to the right to life somehow it's different. This sounds like special pleading to me. How is it civilized to take away the other rights? Maybe in 1000 years people will believe incarcerating criminals is uncivilized too and they will lament about how barbaric the so-called civilized nations used to be?

Is the right to life inalienable just like the others or is it a 'super inalienable right'? If so, why?

rem

• proplog2
    proplog2

Rem:

I meant to say this is a little unifinished business from the dark ages.

My original post was meant to say that I don't think this is a good forum to rehash the millions of pages on line dealing with the subject of Capital Punishment. I feel the same about arguments over Atheism, Evolution, Abortion, euthanisa, Economic Systems, Conservatism vs. Liberalism.

UNLESS... there is something new and significant in the news. Then everyone feels like they want to get off their best hit. Which is good because it lets everyone know where they stand on certain issues. If I had the time I would love to go over all the posts and figure out where everyone stands on certain issues. It is more revealing than any personality test.

Do you need me to go to Google.com and post some links pro & con on capital punishment?

One of the things I hate about the Watchtower is that they have a Capital Punishment orientation. That's what I hate about the Moslems. That's what I hate about the Old Testament.

Why would the most powerful person in the universe need to sacrifice his son to appease his sense of justice? If you believe that stuff then you have a licence to kill.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I always say I would rather die and innocent person knowing that 20 guilty went the same way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit