Another Question for Those Against Capital Punishment

by StinkyPantz 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rem
    rem

Psychopaths get off on killing people. I don't give a fuck about the life of a murderer psychopath. So-called 'civilized', liberal societies have no problem taking away the 'inalienable' rights to liberty and the persuit of happiness, but they feel the right to life is somehow more 'inalienable' than the others. I believe there are situations in which a person rightly loses such rights, including the right to life. That's not to say that the way the death penalty is implemented is just or correct.

rem

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

As much as I like the Englishman, I must disagree:

Who'd want to live in a country where the government sponsors the killing of it's own citizens? Mark my words, if the government has such a high disregard for human life, then so will it's citizens also.

This country doesn't sponsor the killing of it's own citizens. Cruel, heartless and pathetic so-called humans who CHOOSE to take the life of other human beings also CHOOSE to put their life on the line when they make the wrong choice... they know that going in, and any fault only lies at their worthless feet. Murders have served 'life' terms here, have gotten paroled and have murdered again. That has been called 'regretable' by some bleeding hearts in this society, but I call that unforgivable and should never be allowed. A person forfeiting their life when they callously take someone elses IS appropriate punishment.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    but basically history shows conservatives just get off on killing people.

That is bullsh*t.... and can not be backed up with facts.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I really hate the use of the death penalty. However I do see its necessity. There are some murders that are just too horrible to let the murderer continue living. Serial killers, that for example. prey on women. Often women who are so vulnerable, as to be living on the streets and prostituting themselves.

Why prey on these poor pathetic sick people and murder one after another? This type of conduct on the serial killers part deserves the death sentence.

All punative actions, taken by society have some limiting affect on the possible perpetrators. The psychological statement to reward the positive conduct and punish or not reward the negative conduct still holds water. That is how society has worked from training a child on up to controling crime in adults. It is still a standard effectivly in use today.

Outoftheorg

• proplog2
    proplog2

Do you really think anyone on this board is going to come up with a unique argument one way or the other that hasn't been provided on those sites that are devoted to this issue?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I'm really mixed on this. I heard of a couple of cases that convicted innocent men, and they were executed before advanced DNA data was available. Also, killing people who committed crimes as minors, and mentally challenged people bother me.

Died in the wool serial killers (Dahmer, Timmendequas) I couldn't care less about. Let them fry.

I don't know, I've read up on both sides of the issue, and the victim's families sometimes support the death penalty, and sometimes vehemently oppose it.....in the end, their loved one is gone forever, no matter what happens.

ash

• angelkins
    angelkins

rem,

How many murderers do you think are psychopaths? How many murders are commited by serial killers? Think about it.

Carol

• rem
    rem
    How many murderers do you think are psychopaths? How many murders are commited by serial killers? Think about it.

Huh? What does that matter?

Anyways, I'm more in support of capital punishment in theory rather than in practice. I just don't have any moral or ethical qualms about taking the life of a proven murderer. Sorry, I just don't feel sorry for the bastards. Unfortunately the American justice system is less than perfect and innocent lives are lost - that's the only reason I'm a bit on the fence about this issue.

If it were possible to make sure that innocent people were never executed, then I would have absolutely no issue at all with capital punishment. I believe it puts the most value on the life of the innocent victims - there is no right more valuable than life, and if someone takes the life of an innocent, I believe they forfeit that right. Anything less trivializes the life of the innocent in my eyes.

At least that's the way I feel today.

rem

• patio34
    patio34

It seems to me, SP, that the question is skewed: only two choices are offered, death or freedom in 15 years. Now, if the question had been death or life in prison w/o parole, there's quite a bit of difference.

My vote is to err on the side of caution and not execute anyone. Society is protected by life in prison w/o parole, so why take a chance in executing an innocent person?

To me it seems capital punishment may be based on the Bible and other religions. Laws should be more modern and civilized than relying on millenia-old--yes, primitive--justice. After all, we don't do an eye for an eye, or kill adulterers, etc.

Pat

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I love how only 2 people so far have answered the question:

Which is worse? A convicted murderer getting executed or a convicted murderer being released after serving the minimum of a life sentence, 15 years?

Unless the crime is especially heinous, murderers quite often do not get life w/o parole OR executed. The average time spent in jail for murder is 6 years!!!! http://www.pomc.com/repeat.cfm

In addition, Blacks are more often sentenced to death yes, but that is evening itself out. The misproportion is lessening everyday.

Also, I think I speak for most people that are for CP when I say this: If a murderer is always kept locked up until death then that would be great. Unfortunately, that's rare, as is execution. They average 6 years! How could you possibly be okay with that?!?!

I await someone who'll actually answer my question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit