WoMD ... so where are they?

by Simon 865 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Well, 18 months on and the offical report is out.

And guess what?! THERE WERE NO WoMDs !!!

No, really ... I know it's a shock but the president lied and the prime minister lied.

It's quite funny reading back through the topic now and seeing the religious zeal and blind faith that some put in their leaders. Even more amazing is that some still cling to the notion that it was "the truth" (tm) even though the people who told the lies have long since backtracked and given up on the claims. I guess these people owe some apologies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6190720/

Vice President Dick Cheney, in a speech on Aug. 26, 2002, 6½ months before the invasion:

?Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction,? he said. ?There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies and against us.?

The president made similar charges, laying out in an Oct. 7, 2002, speech what he described as Iraq?s threat:

• ?It possesses and produces chemical and biological weapons. It is seeking nuclear weapons.?
    • ?We?ve also discovered through intelligence that Iraq has a growing fleet of manned and unmanned aerial vehicles that could be used to disperse chemical or biological weapons across broad areas.?
    • ?Iraq possesses ballistic missiles with a likely range of hundreds of miles ? far enough to strike Saudi Arabia, Israel, Turkey and other nations ? in a region where more than 135,000 American civilians and service members live and work. ?

Now, just a couple more regime changes to go and the world finally will be a better place (clue: they both begin with 'U')

• Englishman
    Englishman

So why did Saddam only make a half hearted attempt to defend his claims that WOMD didn't exist?

We know now that they DIDN'T exist, but what was his game? His playing games with the weapons inspectors seemed to point towards some concealment. In fact, he almost tried to look guilty!

Did he think that the coalition would be more likely to leave him alone if they thought that he did have WOMD?

Was he trying to impress Iran?

So much bluff, double bluff and triple bluff here.

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon
    So why did Saddam only make a half hearted attempt to defend his claims that WOMD didn't exist?
    We know now that they DIDN'T exist, but what was his game? His playing games with the weapons inspectors seemed to point towards some concealment. In fact, he almost tried to look guilty!

Did he? Really? Yes, to some extent he needed to look tough to the rest of the region but lets not forget who pulled the inspectors out - Bush.

So much bluff, double bluff and triple bluff here.

A trail of blood and deception leading up the whitehouse steps IMO

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    (clue: they both begin with 'U')

Hey, quit picking on Uruguay and Uganda!

• dubla
    dubla

interesting that this thread has been locked for some time, but gets unlocked to serve an agenda.

aa

• Simon
    Simon

It's been unlocked for months actually.

Thanks for trying to change the subject though, I guess it shows your position was silly.

(next will be an attack on my spelling )

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

It's been unlocked for months actually.

interesting that the first post since emans "locking" post was made today then (by you, oddly enough). a wild coincidence i guess. btw, what would be the purpose of unlocking a thread that was specifically locked because it was going nowhere and only causing problems? has something changed? who unlocked it?

Thanks for trying to change the subject though, I guess it shows your position was silly.

i wasnt trying to change the subject....just pointing out that the rules obviously get bent when it serves the right persons purpose. as far as my position goes, youve dodged nearly every question ive posed to you on this thread (including some on this very page back in august), and whenever called to the mat you give your "pearls and swine" speech........your antics are the silliest remnants of this entire discussion.

aa

• dubla
    dubla
    His playing games with the weapons inspectors seemed to point towards some concealment. In fact, he almost tried to look guilty!

exactly....and his games got his country attacked. perhaps he wanted to be a martyr? he couldve easily avoided the war if he indeed had destroyed his wmds by proving it...but he refused, knowing full well the consequences. i guess trying to figure out the whys of a madmans actions might be futile.

aa

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    he couldve easily avoided the war if he indeed had destroyed his wmds by proving it

Destroyed what WOMD exactly? How do you destroy that which you do not possess?

• dubla
    dubla

name-

How do you destroy that which you do not possess?

it is an uncontested fact that at one time saddam did possess wmds (and has used them on his own people).....he admitted to having large stockpiles of various wmds in declarations to the u.n. let me know if you need links...i can dig back through this thread and find them.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit