Let's Hear It For The Brits !!!!! Hip Hip & All That

by Francois 33 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    Another side note....I'm sure and I hope that some Europeans will comment on the denigrating comments about them in the article....lol.

When we get criticism we tend to just nod and say "yeah, it's pants"

I still have trouble comprehending why Americans get so aggitated over criticism. If people were doing it to "have a go" and annoy then "bullseye!" - they know to keep on doing it !

Remember, there was a time when Britain stood and faught totally alone against the Nazis.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    But I will say this, it is true that the English and Americans are the powers that set the nails in Hitler's tomb. Can't deny that. But are we supposed to just let you guys roam free, and never object.

Please, object away, but what I have seen is a lumping together of ALL Americans into one basket.

God knows I will bash my country too, when I think they have done wrong but I make sure to single out who I think is behind it. I don't say they whole government is bad because I know there is also good done by them also.

Someone here made a statement awhile back, stating that they didn't hate Americans. Then this person went on to say that "some of my best friends are Americans". To me and a few others, that is a racist remark. It's as if saying........I don't have anything against blacks, some of my best friends are black. People are people, no matter their color or nationality.

Whew, I feel better having finally got that out of my system.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Wild horses, Is that a racist comment? I have friends who are black, Indian, American and French. Am I supposed to pretend they don't belong to those classifications? How would you prefer I gave you this information?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

ballistic, I refer to my friends by their name. I never bring up their color or nationality.

I'd find it odd of someone introduced me such as this.........."Hi, this is Shari, my white American friend."

• ballistic
    ballistic

hmmmm, Well my American employer has sent me on diversity courses to teach me about this kind of thing and even though they taught me I must accept gayness I feel what you are saying is a bit extreme. I would agree that it is possible to not notice someones skin colour, but I see absolutely nothing wrong in stating someones birth place. And yes, I would willingly introduce you to one of my friends and say, "she's French, so watch out".

• gumby
    gumby

I think Armageddons just around the corner.

• patio34
    patio34

I'm an American too, and part of the 25-30% who are opposed to this war. I'm patriotic, but not blind to an illegal invasion of a non-threatening, weakened, defenseless country.

Pat

• ballistic
    ballistic

Oh Gumby, you've been saying that for years!

• foreword
    foreword

The lumping issue is a little hard for me to grasp.

What am I supposed to do? Take a poll to see who agrees with my opinion or not?

Example: Let's say I want to say...."The French are a bunch of wuss"....In my first post I would state that this is what I want to say...then ask...who agrees or not with this statement . Then I wait for the responses and after that post, "The French are a bunch of wuss"....sos and sos agree with this and sos and sos disagree. Doesn't make sense. But still that's what you're implying I should do.

Geez, at the last election, and were talking government here, the US wasn't even able to get that straight. We still don't know who really won the election, you don't even know yourself who the majority wanted as president.

Let me ask you a question then. And try not to lump. Who was first to oppose this war?

• patio34
    patio34

Actually, what's the problem with the French? It's a democratic country and the leaders followed the people (democracy).

Not the case with the UK, and if the US didn't have all the media spin put on everything Bush wanted them too, maybe the US would have listened to their people too--as a democracy should do.

What about the French help in the American Revolution?

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit