conversation with a JW about the sun

by neat blue dog 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

@ _Morpheus, thanks for the perspective. I didn't really think about the logic to my SciFi thinking. I am a nerd after all, even as a JW. I'm now an atheist so my previous "god did it" and "got can do anything" views give me face-palm.

• jaydee
    jaydee

NEW 9th Governing Body Member...

Image result for albert einstein

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Well, honestly, if you buy the concept of an almighty god then your view was scientific and consistent :)

but im with you, the sky daddy thing is embarassing at this point but all religions share it.

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette
    Who is webster in this day and age. Remember Funk and Wegner.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Sun will ''relatively cool'' to a temperature of what it is now, not for at least 2 Billion years. At that time the outer layers will expand consuming the inner planets Mercury and Venus and probably expand to the orbit of the Earth, consuming it too.

When I learned this through documentaries and School, this was a concept which I could not absorb mentally and I struggled with it. If the Earth and Sun were meant to last forever, then how come the life of a star like our Sun would grow to a red giant and likely consume out to Earth!!

A paradise Earth with a star supplying ''endless'' sunlight for time indefinite, well, to put it simply the scientific fact was a head-on-collision with the JW theology of a ''paradise forever''.

This is where ''thinking''' people use their minds and investigate their doubts

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    JW: But God didn't make it that way, it's firmly established to time indefinite. It's not like the sun is a regular star. Who gave them that right to decide?

Stay in school, kids. Stay. In. School.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I should have known better :

When I first started studying the brother didn`t know the difference between astronomy and Astrology I had to spell it out to him .

And I still became a JW.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

JWs are the 8 or so million earthlings who can't accept mortality, essentially

• under the radar
    under the radar

"You will NOT challenge my superstitions with your science and logic!"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Talking to a JWS about astrophysics is like talking to a brick wall.

......and yes are sun will eventfully explode into a black hole like all other stars, in another billion years mind you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit