How bad did Worldly people treat you when you were a JW?

by El Kabong 18 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Damn your good with the questions Minimus!

This is a keeper topic because it will prove a good point.

Witnesses along other bible based faiths have been led to believe that all those that are gods people will be persecuted , hated, ridiculed, mocked etc.Jesus even went further and said familys would be divided.

Many who really believe this, feel when this doesn't happen.........maybe they need to be more rightous so they will be hated and they will feel justified for acting like a nerd.All of us have known the nerd witness who really played the part and most didn't like them.

For us average witnesses......we didn't have a problem with worldly people. Why? Because many didn't even know we were witnesses! How come? Because we didn't tell them. Why? Because it was a little embarrasing.

For me.....I got along good with worldly schoolmates although us dubs budied along only will fellow dubs as there were a lot of them in my school in the later years. My close friend and myself however used to witness to certain ones sometimes if there was a opening for it.

Gumby

• Mystery
    Mystery

Of course, I reasoned with myself that Jehovah's People always were Persecuted. Just look at our Brothers in Malawi and what they were enduring...the Society had many stupid urban legends. Like for instance Smurfs are demonic.

El -

We must be about the same age. That was pushed so far that now it seems comical. I had not thought about that in a long time... LOL. I can't believe we fell for that. But... i guess we were just kids.

My "best friends" at the KH; I really never hardly talked with them after I graduated and moved away from the congeration. My "best friend" in school (who also happen to be my cousin) still talk today. I can call her day or night about anything. She was with me thru my divorce, thru my son's drug problem, thru every problem I have ever had (even when in school and I wasn't suppose to be associating with her).

She treated me better than any JW. The girls in the congeration would use me as a shoulder to cry on but when they had their problem worked out, I didn't exist. They could be very cruel.

I would pick "worldly" over a JW any day.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    But, for some reason, it bugs the hell out of me when people who never were associated with JW's come to these boards and start making derogatory remarks about the JW's and the JW lifestyle.

I may have never been one, but I still think I've earned the right to comment: my best friend and his wifes' marriage was ruined by the machinations of her Dub family. I was cheated out of a substantial inheritance by a family of Dubs. And a little Dub lady at the door made fun of our beliefs about our daughter's death a month after it occurred. When they stop going door to door on their recruitment drives, maybe I'll leave them alone too.

But, they never had to actually experience the bullsh*t rules and regulations Ex JW's had.

What crap! Maybe different rules, but oppressive rules by a high control religion, nonetheless! Read my post about some of them:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/34716/1.ashx

As for Smurfs, it seems to be a good, recognisable symbol for Dub silliness. For me and my background, it would be lentils. And I won't get offended if people start making references to my old church run house that involve lentils!

• garybuss
    garybuss

The non-Witnesses treated me good. It was the Witness people who treated me bad. I am glad to be away from them.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Minimus and Garybuss pretty much sum it up !

Can you feel the borg love people ?

• Room 215
    Room 215

Other than suffering the cruelty of children who ridicule and bully any schoolmate who stands out as different, i.e. nerdy, unathletic or otherwise con-forming and the occasional run-in with a super-patriotic redneck type who vents his/her anger at JWs for their flag salute and pacifist views, I would say that most ``worldly" people regard JWs with a sort of bemused tolderance or, at most, annoyance when the call unnanounced. Many, if not most, of the public are tolerant and respect people of firm conviction, whatever they may think of their views.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    How bad did Worldly people treat you when you were a JW?

A lot better than I treated them !

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

El Kabong,

When I was in school I really didn't know who the JW's were or what they were about. Even the jokes on TV about being so lonely you'd invite the JW's in were lost on me. I remember in grade school thinking my band teacher must be Jewish since he didn't celebrate Christmas. I didn't learn until I was 30 that he was one of the local Elders.

I remember in High School seeing my first Watchtower and thinking how cheaply printed it was (my dad worked in the printing business, as did I later in life, I still hold that opinion).

I do think I've earned the right to comment on JW's and the Society however in my eight years (tomorrow 22 APR 03) of marriage to a JW with JW step kids.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong
    Gumby Wrote:

Damn your good with the questions Minimus!

Gumby: Yeah, he certainly is.....ya old bastard!!!! Although I'm probably in the same old bastard class as you. (BTW, I still have papers. When are we going to party? )

But, they never had to actually experience the bullsh*t rules and regulations Ex JW's had.

What crap! Maybe different rules, but oppressive rules by a high control religion, nonetheless! Read my post about some of them:

Stephanus: Yes, all religions have their own rules and regulations that make outsiders go "HUH???". Since leaving the Society, I've attended my share of different churches and religions. ALL of them are very critical of the witnesses. Very few of them actually knew what the witnesses were really about. I would say to them that the Jehovah's Witnesses do have one teaching that is absolutely the truth. Religion IS a snare and a racket. Amazing how offended they get when I say that statement.

Just to clarify what I meant. It's hard to know what it's really like being a witness without actually being one, or having a close family member who is one. (Like Yerusalyim). Someone who was never a witness can read about it, talk to witnesses and ex-witnesses, but, they will never know what it actually feels like to be a witness. So, my statement is not crap, it is the truth. However, that statement can be applied to all religions. Mormons, Catholics, Jews. I will never know what it would be like to be a Jew. Therefore, how can I ever criticize their religion?

To all. Thank you for your comments on this post. It's nice to know that not all had the same experience with worldly people that I had. On the other hand, It's comforting to know that I was not alone in the was I was treated all those years ago. I'm just sorry that anybody had to experience that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit