Were You AFRAID Of The Elders???

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When parents bring the "older men of the city", a poor child might think that stoning is coming next.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Nothing to fear by me. My dad was the Company Servant, as they were called back in my youth and he was very cool. I could date worldly girls, play on the school basketball team, drink beer and enjoy my youth. Later when I was in my mid 20s I was the PO until I quit in my late 30s. We only had two committee meetings that I can recall. We disfellowshiped a guy who was cheating on his wife and another one was requested by a sister who was married to a worldly man who had used a light bulb as a sex toy and it had broke and she had to go to the hospital to get the glass out. We just said we hoped she would be OK and we were sorry it happened. I didn't want to get involved in her personal sex life with her husband.

Life was different here in a small town in the south back then, 30 years ago.

Ken P.

• minimus
    minimus

Ken, I understand that in the 50's and early 60's, JW kids did alot of things you can't do today.....Ah, the good ole days!......Light bulb sex, hmm, Let us all sing the immortal Debbie Boone classic, "Now, you, light up my life..........."

• topanga
    topanga

Never at all times i remember they are ONLY men, easily led astray by the smell of another womans perfume or

any strong personality. Many times they were mistaken and i always felt obliged to help and tell them. regardless of how they yelled schemed against me or resented it. if it wasn't for women adam would still be curled up in the fetal position afraid to live in the garden of eden.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Nope. They were afraid of me, in a sense. I always had a little too much "independent thinking," or at least that's what my annual Bethel evaluation said. Problem was, I could quote the Bible and WTS lit better than any of them (not a great challenge, actually, considering the general level of elder brain activity).

But, they were in the "club," and they also had the "club." Mene Mene Tekel Parsin

Craig

• berylblue
    berylblue

No, absolutely not. But not for their lack of trying....

Rosemarie

• rocketman
    rocketman

Well, having been one, there's nothing to be afraid of on my part.

But I do think publishers fear them. Publishers hide things from them, being afraid to say what they really think in many cases. One time, a brother who resigned his appointment later said that now that he was no longer an elder, he finally heard what was on the minds of some publishers.

• minimus
    minimus

Ex-elders only hear complaints. They are merely a sounding board. Exes have no influence.

• blondie
    blondie
    No. I wasn't afraid of them I understood that the Emporer had no clothes, and besides I knew of their faults, foibles, false-starts, and fuckups. My main regard for elders was contempt.
    Nope. They were afraid of me, in a sense. I always had a little too much "independent thinking," ... Problem was, I could quote the Bible and WTS lit better than any of them (not a great challenge, actually, considering the general level of elder brain activity).

May I quote francois and onacruse.

Blondie

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

No. One and only time I met with the judical committee beacuse my husband told them I wanted a divorce. I took a huge risk and thinking I would receive support for Domestic Abuse and figure out how my children and I could be safe. I thought they were arrogant and self-righteous. And matter-of-factly that this kind of behavior is normal. This was back in 1983.

There were 7 elders most were in their 40"s. Except one was in his late 60' or 70's.

I found out later that the older elder believed me. How manipulative my ex=husband was and trying rally others to be one his side. The rest of the elders could'nt see it. Too bad this elder did'nt speak up at the meeting. At least I knew someone believed me.

I would have never thought the older elder would be aware of human dynamics. Shows you can't judge a book by its cover.!!

I can say the 14 yrs of being in the org. I was'nt fearful of their position.

Thank you Minimus for putting these threads out. Its a way for me to articulate my life with my experiences and to post. Like putting it out to the universe to let go. And to be around others who have experienced similar circumstances and understand.

Like the other day their was a question about going out in service. I would pray that nobody was home!! I thought I was the only one and felt like a hypocrit. I hear others who experienced the same.Amazing!!

So thanks! OCW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit