Ex-Jehovah's Witness Recovering Group 3 and This Site

by dubstepped 25 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I don't remember seeing it ever really talked about here but the Facebook group with the namesake of this post shut down at the end of March. It was archived and they weren't clear as to when or if they would come back. So far they haven't. It seemed to come out of nowhere, and I know a lot of people were disappointed. That group has 11,000+ members, and it closed down right around the Memorial no less. I personally thought it was just awful. I remember some other site shut down last year and many people came here missing their "home" online. It has to be kind of traumatic for people that have lost so much already to suddenly have a place where they start to feel comfortable get ripped away from them yet again.

I do a podcast once a month and it's a lot of work. Reaching out to people, scheduling interviews, recording the interviews, editing, getting information, creating posts for my site, notes for each episode, uploading them to my host, uploading audio files, waiting for iTunes to index, writing something to put out as a release for each one at the various places I advertise new episodes, answering questions, emails back and forth with people, responding to comments, putting out things to get interest on social channels and responding to comments there, keeping my site built and getting rid of spam comments and approving good ones, I could probably go on. And that's for one episode monthly.

So now let's get to this site. It's been around for a long time. From what I gather Simon has basically built a lot of this custom himself. He, as far as I know, seems to be the only mod. So you know he gets a ton of messages and problems between people here to deal with. I don't know what he does exactly behind the scenes but my guess is there's some SEO involved and other things to keep up with. Props to Simon for keeping this place open while so many others fold. I think it's cool when someone pops up that posted a decade or more ago and that says "hi" again. Sure, I didn't know them, but it's cool that this place is still around so that people can do that.

It isn't easy being an ex-JW. It isn't easy staying involved in the ex-JW community. Sometimes we all just want to get away from it. Some choose to and just disappear, leaving people high and dry. Others give people time to find a new home but it is still hard. Places like this will always be needed as online homes for people finding their way out. A safe place to unload and find someone that understands when everyone around you is blind and you can't point it out for fear of repercussions.

So thank you to Simon, and to your wife as well who I think does things behind the scenes or just supports you in this (I don't know who does what), because it isn't easy and you're truly helping people. This place was a lifesaver for me. I can still remember how terrified I was to read here the first time, and how blown away I was when I realized that you guys saw the same stuff that I did. It wasn't perfect for me, as I wasn't ready for everything that came at me, but it has become a home of sorts. I can leave. I can go away and maybe come back in a decade. Simon is here through it all. I just wanted to say "thanks", and hope a public message like this lightens the load a bit.

• _Morpheus
  • Simon
    Simon

Thanks for the thoughts, they are appreciated. I should also say thanks for your podcast - I'm not generally a big podcast aficionado but I've listed to a few (at least) and they were interesting and well done and I think those friendly personal experiences that people can relate to are super-powerful in helping people who want to leave take the first steps (and know that we're no so scary or different to them) :thumbs_up:

Yeah, we've been here a long time and during that time other sites have come and gone - probably because it can be a lot of work and people get tired of it at some point. I think the unique aspect for this site that has helped keep it going to some degree is that I have an interest in it from a technical point of view which keeps me interested even when I'm not too keen to read about JWism. Of course as much as I'd like to just leave all my JW past behind, I am still affected by it (see: Motherly Love, that "Unbreakable Bond") so although my interest in the latest JW doctrinal changes may wane at times, it's like it pulls you back in ...

https://youtu.be/UneS2Uwc6xw?t=56

(56 second mark if the position doesn't set with the link)

While the site does good and people value it, we'll keep it going and it is doing pretty well right now for ranking (in the top 90k websites on Alexa) and I hate seeing people risk themselves on sites like Facebook - it's not really the best platform for when people's identities being exposed can have such consequences and of course they can shut any group down at any time (being master of your own ship brings some security).

As it happens, I'm just working on a major revamp which will make us 100% mobile-first with all the latest whizz-bang mobile app features such as infinite scrolling and pretty much instant page loading. If you think of the mobile Twitter app, that isn't far off the type of experience it's going to be. Heck, there may even be @mentions and #hashtags and modern fangled stuff like that!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I remember not too long ago when safari wasnt compatible... now its super moble friendly. Cant wait to see what the update brings ;)

• humbled
    humbled

Thanks for bringing it up , Dub. You would know not to take it for granted!

This is my fifth camp out on the forum. It has been a stable outpost since l left the Organization. Some new interesting posters have come and other great folks have gone but the fort stands.

I slipped in here after Bethel’s silly response arrived, Between that time and the day l sent a letter saying what l thought of the men in Brooklyn, l brought my mixed up thoughts to this board. There was nowhere else l could turn who knew what breaking away could do to a person.

When my elder texted the answer to “Have l been announced?” I bought a $3 beer at the local bar to celebrate my “divorce.”

This place was awake when l returned and told my news.

Some one is always here. Suport, comfort, advice, maybe argument, or just a silent 👍🏽. It squeezes my heart to think of this place folding.

I don’t know how you do it either, Simon. But l am so glad you have kept it going.

👍🏻👍🏼👍👍🏽👍🏾👍🏿✌🏽❤️🌼🌸🍁thanks!

• steve2
    steve2

This is a great forum - reliable and welcoming.

In my almost 13 years here, I have seen some brilliant posters come and go as well as some whackos of one sort or another. All in all, most posters I’ve read have contributed to my own learning and journey.

Within the guidelines, all are welcome. It’s great that there is no drama with posters checking in as and when they want. This is not a meeting where your absence is a reason for comment or “concern”.

The exchange of views and ideas is second to none on this forum. I like that it is not a substitute for JW organization - in fact, it would be off-putting we’re it set up as a substitute. If you can use your brain and think for yourself, this forum can be enriching and informative. Oh, and if you’re PIMO and/or fading, this is a safe and confidential forum.

i look forward to the upgrade of the site you mentioned Simon!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I remember not too long ago when safari wasnt compatible... now its super moble friendly. Cant wait to see what the update brings ;)

• MightyV8
    MightyV8

Thank you for raising this topic dubstepped

From what I gather Simon has basically built a lot of this custom himself. He, as far as I know, seems to be the only mod. So you know he gets a ton of messages and problems between people here to deal with. I don't know what he does exactly behind the scenes but my guess is there's some SEO involved and other things to keep up with. Props to Simon for keeping this place open while so many others fold.

I agree wholeheartedly

So thank you to Simon, and to your wife as well who I think does things behind the scenes or just supports you in this (I don't know who does what), because it isn't easy and you're truly helping people. This place was a lifesaver for me.

Yes, I too would like to thank Simon and his wife for the time and effort you put in to keeping this site up and running.

Simon very much appreciated.

For a novice like myself, this is by far the easiest site to navigate.

Keep up the good work, again thank you, Simon.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

Agree wholeheartedly!

This community has been my lifeline, especially when waking up and transitioning to "the real life"

Thank you Simon!

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Thank you, Simon. Your site and communication with other Ex-JW's has made the transition much easier. Hugs, 4thgen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit