Dub Fads

by In_between_days 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Oh ya, some of the Fads amongst the Brethren are: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia. Most Dubs that claim to have one or the other, are just plain lazy and they're constantly trying to get a Disability Pension so they can go out in Service instead of work.

Amongst the sisters in the Hall, I'd say anorexia or bulimia is all the rage........let's see who can disappear first!!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember some of the fads being somewhat amusing. The pioneers in our congregation decided to exercise, and guess what, they started walking laps in the parking lot at the KH. Pretty funny to watch, women in dresses and tennis shoes going around in circles. Actually, it was probably good exercise, but it was crazy to turn into the KH parking lot and see the sisters doing their laps.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Amongst the sisters in the Hall, I'd say anorexia or bulimia is all the rage........let's see who can disappear first!!

LOL, like yeah, if I was anorexic I'd have more money to give to the society than on food....

In my congregations they even attacked Popples and Care Bears!! Saying they both had supernatural characteristics and how we need to be careful not to get caught up in that fad...Also, the sisters in the Chicago area were into Shacklee vitamins and lots of sisters with Candida problems.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

Oh my god, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, who could forget that? It seemed every woman in the cong was diagnosed with this.. I also noticed that alot of dubs refused to see doctors and saw natropaths who always seemed to diagnose bogus sicknesses - for instance one woman told me she had parasites in her skin and under the microscope, you can see them scurrying around

There always was a huge amount of these siciknesses in the congregations, Ross River Fever was really popular for some time in Australia - I think alot of theorys here are right on. I think it just comes down to the dubs being completely overwhelmed by their theocratic duties. I think alot of dubs invented these sicknesses, but I also believe that the dubs made themselves actually think that they were sick - I think it was just a way out for alot of them.

• fairy
    fairy

All the doors fling(or slide) open and 8-10 dubs spill out like a swat team with the elder or MS shouting instructions and pointing where to go. Me and a buddy used to go "hut hut hut hut hut...." whenever we spilled out.

That seems pretty funny to me....made my day....thanks

• Xena
    Xena
    All the doors fling(or slide) open and 8-10 dubs spill out like a swat team with the elder or MS shouting instructions and pointing where to go. Me and a buddy used to go "hut hut hut hut hut...." whenever we spilled out.

lol yea that caused a chuckle here too! God I hated being crammed into those mini vans!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Foreward, those strange rubbery mushrooms are Kombucha mushrooms I believe. Do a google search on them sometime if you are interested. :) A big one in my area was Tupperware parties! I've been to so freakin many Tupperware parties aaaaaahhhh! Amway was big too. In the mid to late eighties the bro's were wearing Miami Vice suits with skinny ties. I think a lot of normal society was too but it was always more pronounced with dubs because of soooo many meetings. Oh yeah and there was a big thing with shoes without socks and Polo cologne...LOL! For the sistahs it was long skirts and flat shoes and OMG mullets. Did I mention I lived in a hick town...LOL! ~Aztec

• Nomad Soul
    Nomad Soul

"The only good thing about going out in a van was that you went longer between your turn at the door."

HAHAHAHAHAAH SO TRUE !!! I always tried to sit in the middle, that way I wouldn't be the first one !!

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    For some reason they find it very easy to try and peddle a product nobody wants and convince others to sell it too.

For some reason?! LOL

I wonder why?

They get tons of practice. It's called Field Service.

Andee

• aojumper
    aojumper

Our big fads in Scottsdale, Arizona were volleyball, all the guys were playing, and all the girls could watch. They thought they were so cool using there fancy sideout lingo.

We also had a Tastee Freeze fad after the service meeting. I am not sure if the owners were glad when the whole congo showed up every Wednesday night or terrified.

Has anyone heard of that muscle thing... where you go in and talk with a sister,and she "borrows your energy" and asks you questions and her finger helps her find out why your sick, sad or whatever. I forgot what it's called. something that has to do with Kinetics. There are several sisters in the Phoenix area that are into that. My mom calls 'em "Zen Christians"

This is a great thread!

K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit