Dub Fads

by In_between_days 39 Replies latest jw friends

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

When you were a Jw, did you witness a rather large enthusiasm from your congregation for passing fads? What I mean is, one dub would start something and everyone would join in? This was especially prevelant with the women of the congregations.

For instance, for a while every female dub was undertaking this strange diet where they basically drink this really odd and particularly disturbing looking mushroom that they kept in their fridge. Another one: Folk Art, natural remedies and beauty portraits.

Another example is bible covers. In our congregation, this middle aged brother was designing this "Special" bible - it was bloody huge, with about 17 bookmarks and the "Reasoning form the Scriptures" was attached - all in one, with this fancy bible cover. He actually sold these things like hotcakes at $20 each, and the cong was loving them, until the CO chastised the guy about making his own publications - "New editions should only come from one place!" After that, the elders were too embarrased to use these bibles in their talks anymore and they dissapeared.

The fads, though werent actually fashionable in "The world" - what I mean is, the dub fads werent necessarily consistant to what was the general fad at the time. It was just a fad within dubs. Did anyone see any of these?

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

All the teenage brothers at my last hall went through a period of wearing really loud ties which hadn't been in fashion for years but they all thought they were really cool. The elders even started joining in, raiding their cupboards for old ties to try and be hip and keep up with the younsters. Walking into the hall was like a 70's disco sometimes, even though this was the 90's.

Again, this all stopped when an elder gave a talk about modesty and brought up the 'criminal' activity of wearing loud ties. Some of the brothers were that embarassed that they took their ties off straight after the meeting. All I could do was laugh...but it's sad. Control over what type of tie.

• freedom96
    freedom96

The binding of the bible and reasoning book was popular; adding a soft leather cover that was personalized was even better.

Many people followed the fads in the hall because there never was outside influence, and it is human nature to want to follow others, to be accepted. So one would start something, and it would grow inside the halls.

No different than society as a whole, but more compact and noticable.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

Ha Ha - Loud ties! Im surprised the elders joined in, though! I had quite a liberal group of freinds when I was a dub, the guys I was freinds with were quite individual dressers, especially at the assembellys - One of my friends used to constantly wear inappropriate outfits e.g - once he dressed as a mafia gangster - black suit, shirt and tie - complete with a bowler hat. I thought he looked quite cool, but the dubs avoided him like the plague.

• Matty
    Matty

The worst dub fad isn't about clothing but a TV series - it has to be the trekkies. For some reason, many devoted Witnesses who would normally be ashamed to say that they watch any kind of television programme happily chat about the various incarnations of Star Trek to their nerdy friends in the congregation - every hall has a bunch of them. Jwzone is a testament to this continuing nauseating fad.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days
    No different than society as a whole, but more compact and noticable.

I agree, but it is quite amusing to reflect on these fads.

What about some fads that didnt take off with dubs? Troll dolls, Harry Potter, and who can forget

smurfs!!!!

I remember way back in the eighties, all the kids were wearing little leather or colorful threaded wrist bands. An elder soon put a stop to that, with a severe talk about "Following worldly trends" . He didnt hold back in his opinions about how particularly wrong it was for boys to wear these as they "Look like some thing a homosexual would wear".

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Talking about assemblies, we had a talk by an overseer which had a slide show and he showed pictures of an international assembly and all the different people in national dress. One of my mates decided to go in full Scottish gear, kilt, sporran the lot, even though he wasn't Scottish.

He thought it would be a good way to chat up sisters, but he had to put on a Scottish accent on the whole time.

He was well and truly crucified for it when he got back. But it was funny at the time. He thought he was Sean Connery.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days
    One of my mates decided to go in full Scottish gear, kilt, sporran the lot, even though he wasn't Scottish.

Sounds like a cool guy, a bit like my freind (the mobster) He also once went to an assembelly in a sorong ( i hope I spelt that right )

• greven
    greven

Witnesses are by definition gullible people so there fads are likewise.

In our congregation there were strange diets, Doc. Vogel, Chinese herbs from weird shops downtown, accupuncture, iriscopy, podoscopy etc etc At times it looked more like a new age club than a JW club. Oh and we had one devout Trekkie. She actually wore the jewelery and sometimes even the uniforms! And to top this, she had a button that, if you touched it, crooked "beam me up scotty".

How nutty can you get?

• In_between_days
    In_between_days
    And to top this, she had a button that, if you touched it, crooked "beam me up scotty".

LOL that is just about THE geekiest thing I have ever heard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit