Dub Fads

by In_between_days 39 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

Yeah, my ex father-in-law was way into those health nut fads. For a couple years he was growing that Cumbuka mushroom all over his house. Smelled like crap! He was always trying to get me to drink that stuff - I never tried it. I think he also has wheat grass or alfalfa growing all throughout the house now - in the cupboards, above the refridgerator, on the porch, etc.

rem

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Selling stuff was a popular thing where I went. There was always some party to sell pots, pans, soap, you name it. A lot of the bros and sisters got into selling some product called melleleuca. i never learned much about it, but i think you had to SELL it in order to BUY it. Wierd.

• Swan
    Swan

Miracle Wheat and Pyramids are the only true JW fads endorsed by C.T. Russell himself (with the possible exception of child molestation).

Tammy

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    i think you had to SELL it in order to BUY it. Wierd.

It's not that weird, really. JWs are big into Multi-level marketing schemes. For some reason they find it very easy to try and peddle a product nobody wants and convince others to sell it too. And they already have a network of gullible friends.

• sandy
    sandy
    Walking into the hall was like a 70's disco sometimes, even though this was the 90's.

LOL that was funny.

i remember the mellaleuka craze. "worldies" were into that too. LOL

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    It's not that weird, really. JWs are big into Multi-level marketing schemes. For some reason they find it very easy to try and peddle a product nobody wants and convince others to sell it too. And they already have a network of gullible friends.

HA! So true. I remember guys (elders, too) at the hall hocking anything they could:

some popular items

1. Vitamins

2. Anything health related

3. Timeshares

4. Cars

5. Insurance (LOL)

You name it, some bro tried to sell it to his religous peers........LOL

• wednesday
    wednesday

currently in this area, high clonic (enemas of various strange things) are the rage. they are being done by people who have no medical training. people here are doing the alterante medicine stuff, and will act like your not a real jw if u do not wish to try this stuff.

they can keep their enemas. No one is filling my colan with coffee or yougurt or what ever.

disgusting

• Englishman
    Englishman

When I was but a lad, there was a fad for hand-painted ties in our congregation. In fact, you weren't one of the top bods if you didn't have a hand-painted tie!

They were usually palm trees or birds, nature stuff.

Englishman.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Witnesses are by definition gullible people so there fads are likewise.

Amen to that. My JW relatives were always into something new--amway, the healing power of magnets, herbal remedies, holistic scalp readings, weird diet fads, you name it. I'd need three hands to count how many JW's I knew of who quit decent jobs to enter into ridiculously transparent pyramid schemes and would be shocked when they didn't make the millions the videotape/commerical/close-personal-friend said they would. I know of one man who sent his family of 5 into financial ruin when he dove headfirst into selling water filters door to door, and another who went out to try and sell educational text-books.

I always assumed that the tendency to be sucked into such schemes/practices came from the "theocratic" programming all JWs receive that enables them believe anything they hear. If brother so-and-so says it's good, it must be! It's like they have their natural human bullshit-meter totally disabled.

• undercover
    undercover

Mini-vans. I remember when Dodge came out with the Caravan. And the other car makers followed with their version. An elder bought one. Then another. Then the MSs bought em. Then the pioneers started buying used ones. Pretty soon everybody had these damn POSs.

Every Saturday, got stuck in somebody's mini-van for field service. In the back seat. I remember pulling into a residential section. The van pulls over. All the doors fling(or slide) open and 8-10 dubs spill out like a swat team with the elder or MS shouting instructions and pointing where to go. Me and a buddy used to go "hut hut hut hut hut...." whenever we spilled out. Some thought it amusing, but most didn't. The only good thing about going out in a van was that you went longer between your turn at the door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit