A real scam, Sam Goody sold my credit card number.

by Princess 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

Last week I received a copy of Entertainment magazine in the mail. It had a subscription label with my husband's name and our address. Hmmm, I have no interest and didn't subscribe so I ask Steve and he says no........

A couple days later I get a card that reads:

We wanted to drop you this note to let you know that if you haven't already received your first FREE Trial Issue of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, you'll be getting it very soon. And remember, since you are a SAM GOODY Customer, you'll be getting 7 more as part of our exclusive FREE Tial Offer -- two full months of America's leading entertainment magazine!

If, after receiving your two trial months, you like our magazine and want to keep receiving it, do nothing. When your 8 FREE Tial Issues run out, we'll charge your credit card just $19.95. You'll get 12 more issues, that's 20 issues in all, at a total savings of 66% OFF the cover price.

Well, the magazine is total crap. Not the issue anyway. The issue is, my husband bought my six year old son a game for his game boy at Sam Goody last month. Apparently he paid for it with a credit card and they not only gave Entertainment Weekly our name and address but the credit card number as well. If I don't want my credit card charged, which I don't, I have to go to the web address they listed to cancel the charge.

I am so MAD! I will NOT be shopping at Sam Goody anymore. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm just shocked that a store can sell my credit card number like this.

Rachel

• Mulan
    Mulan

I can't believe it! There must be some legal recourse.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

SOUNDS LIKE 'SAM BADDY'!

OUTASERVICE

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Princess,

I'd be hopping mad too! Don't you have privacy or data protection laws in the States?

Here in Oz we have the Privacy Act. Amongst other things, a merchant is obligated to check with you for your card number before each transaction, even if you're a repeat customer. A merchant is also barred from storing your details on their computer records. I believe the Brits have the Data Protection Act that covers similar things.

Say hi to Steve from us.

Cheers, Ozzie

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Dispute this with your credit card company. If Sam Goody doesn't have your signature for $19.95, they will have to eat the cost.

Devon

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    SOUNDS LIKE 'SAM BADDY'!

Or even 'Sam Bodgey'!

• Ed
    Ed
    If, after receiving your two trial months, you like our magazine and want to keep receiving it, do nothing. When your 8 FREE Tial Issues run out, we'll charge your credit card just $19.95.

That can't possibly be legal. I would let them charge the card, just for the pure entertainment of watching them try to explain it to the judge.

• myself
    myself

Rachel, I had the same thing happen when we ordered from Tiger Direct, they started a subscription for PC magazine, I called my credit card company and they had the charge cancelled. I didn't even receive a letter telling me what was going to happen.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yes, as Devon said, dispute it.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hey, dispute what!

DISPUTE "IT"? NOT JUST THE CHARGE FOR THE MAGAZINE, BUT THE PROCESS SAM GOODY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR.

Unless there was some fine print overlooked with the Sam Goody contract, go after Sam Goody for this unwanted credit card charge by seeming venders who bought your credit card info from Sam Goody. This could go on for ever, canceling credit card charges and subscriptions you did not request.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit