Did the jw's leadership ever apologize for 1975?

by dugout 44 Replies latest jw friends

• dugout
    dugout

Talking to my friend who's an elder, when I asked him did the leadership ever attempt to apologize for the 1975 prediction fiasco he said they did. And he was going to show me. I'm still waiting..................................................Tic Toc Did They???

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

The official chanel about information of JW " WOL " admits that there were "perhaps" + "exaggerated" + " ecpectations"

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101993009#h=72:0-72:714

In the years following 1966, many of Jehovah’s Witnesses acted in harmony with the spirit of that counsel. However, other statements were published on this subject, and some were likely more definite than advisable. This was acknowledged in The Watchtower of March 15, 1980 (page 17). But Jehovah’s Witnesses were also cautioned to concentrate mainly on doing Jehovah’s will and not to be swept up by dates and expectations of an early salvation.*

This is referring to a W from 1980 where

Wt 1980: "

There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility.

It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated."

This is it, the regret of 1980. That was it. But now we live in a time in which this is forgotten and they teach a lie namely that only the "WEAK ONES" followed the extremist course and sold their homes and so forth, that the wise would have been cautionary, while the Watchtower itself produced DUPLICITY.!

The comments about Franz show that there they talked with 2 tongues, once they gave advise not to believe in a fast salvation, then they created a hype. This is unexcusable for Mr. Franz.

At the convention held in Baltimore, Maryland, F. W. Franz gave the concluding talk. He began by saying: “Just before I got on the platform a young man came to me and said, ‘Say, what does this 1975 mean?’” Brother Franz then referred to the many questions that had arisen as to whether the material in the new book meant that by 1975 Armageddon would be finished, and Satan would be bound. He stated, in essence: ‘It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don’t any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that.’

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I think this is the closest to an admission and an apology that we're going to see.

Notice how these statements were "published"... who published them Mr Watchtower? Remind us???

• sir82
    sir82

This never fails to get to me.

"It is to be regretted" -- passive voice.

Even in an "apology", they refuse to take personal responsibility.

Imagine "apologizing" in this manner in any other situation.

"It is to be regretted that your best friend was slept with by myself on the eve of her wedding..."

"It is to be regretted that gasoline was poured by myself all throughout your house, and a match was lit, and a fire was started..."

• Chook
    Chook

They had a video that recently that eluded to those of 75 lacking faith , they cried wolf to many times. When the wolf comes even the pagans will be right.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Take note that the same failed prophecy was made about The End™ would come before "the end of our 20th Century".

Where is it?

Where is that (pathetic) apology?

For the past 18 years in the 21st Century, The End™ has been very, very soon.

"The End is Near" should be moved up in the list of "The most often told lies".

1) The Check is in the Mail.

2) I love you

3) I'll respect you in the morning.

4) I won't *** in your mouth.

5) The End Is Near

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

DOC, I've been guilty of number 4 a few times.

• awake!watcher
    awake!watcher

" We're sorry that our definite statements made about 1975 made you do stupid things. Even though we also said that it was a great way to finish out the remaining months in this old system."

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Read this 1976 WT article, especially from $11 and further.

There's no apology there, only blaming the victims.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1976525#h=14

Remember that not too long before that an article in the Kingdom Ministry stated

Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end." Kingdom Ministry May 1974 p.3

See also https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

DOC, I've been guilty of number 4 a few times.

Pale, nobody like a braggart!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit