80's pop music..didn't you love it?

by ScoobySnax 25 Replies latest jw friends

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I love 80's music....prob because thats when I was a teen. I love the soundtracks to movies like "Pretty in Pink" and "Some kind of Wonderful".

Ahhhh....those were the days.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Duran Duran videos - they were the best! From singing "Rio" on the high seas or belting out "Hungry Like the Wolf" in Sri Lanka. Anyone remember the video "Girls on Film?" What fun those days were, I just can't get into videos these days, unless they are on CMT - am I getting too old or what?

• Scully
    Scully

i miss The Pina Colada song......

Love, Scully

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Oh wow! Finally my subject Whoot! Whoot!!!

Duran Duran, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, NXS, Devo, REM. Those were the MTV freindly bands. I cover a Pat Penetar song in my band, it's one of the most popular. What about The Scorpions, Queensryche, Guns N Roses, Dokken? The 80's had the best music I grew up. Though in my opinion I still love me some Elton John, Billie Holliday, Patsie Cline, and Frank Sinatra

• Robdar
    Robdar

Guns and Roses, The Talking Heads, Devo, Depeche Mode and others all kicked ass. Does anybody remember the Dead Kennedys? I know that they weren't pop music but I LOVED the Dead Kennedys:

http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&FORM=MSNH&v=1&q=dead+kennedys

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

ok if you love any kind of music you NEED to check out

live365.com

and download the FREE player and for the 80's fans load "Generation 80's Retro" by JavaJaneRetro- plays all the best 80's and not just Top 40--alot of wonderful B sides too! And another great one is "Renegade 80's" by Renegade_Radio2- alot of weird 80's stuff. This is a free servce and there are thousands of radio stations available--everything from 20'-30'-40's, 50's, 60-70's, 80's, 90's to classical, rock, gothic, hip hop, irish, do-wop...you name it! my sister turned me on to that site and now I am up till 1 or 2 AM listening to it! --like now.

Ravyn

• hippikon
    hippikon

Every Generation has their music. I’ve tried to keep up to date with trends but I don’t get much time to listen to music these days and after leaving the borg I had a lot of catching up to do. – Every generation has had great music – Just some of my favorites that span several generations from “The Who” to “The Violent Fems”

The Who, Cream, Status Quo, King Crimson, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, 10cc, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Brian Eno, David Bowie, Iron Butterfly, Pink Floyd, Joy Divison, Gary Newman, Marianne Faithfull, Brian Ferry, The Mirrors, Flying Lizards, Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pink Military, Devo, Black Sabath, Billy Bragg, Human League, The Rutts, B52s, Led Zepplin, The Cure, Stranglers, UB40, Thin Lizzy, The Clash, Budgie, Psycadelic Furs, Dexies Midnight Runners, Blues Brothers, Split Enz, The Teardrop Explodes, Dead Kenedys, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads , Nina Hagen , Moby, Black Grape, Violent Femmes, Red Hot Chili, Peppers, Korn

When I entered the Borg I sacrificed hundreds of albums . Even now I only have a fraction of what had then. I'd love to get out again and do the band circuits but now I'm married with children and have to settle for the CD player in the car.

Robdar: Dead Kenedeys was my anti establishment phase - My theme song was "Lets Lynch the Landlord"

• berylblue
    berylblue
    I think we all tend to favor the music that was popular during our teens especially.

I worked as a research associate for a radio/music research firm in the 80s. This is absolutely true. For the rest of their lives, people tend to favor the music they "grew up" with.

Rosemarie

• freedom96
    freedom96

I am a big fan of music, and can appreciate most. (Not too much rap though)

I like a lot from the 70's, 80's (my high school years) brings back many memories and yes, many good songs.

I think the 90's took a dump though. Now, eehh. There are certainly the exceptions, but there is not too many out there right now of new bands or singers that impress me too much.

90's had too much grunge. Oh sure, Nirvana hit it big, but no one will ever convince me that they even had a fraction of talent of bands such as Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles etc.

• azaria
    azaria

I totally agree with rocketman; it depends on which decade you were born in. A couple of years ago my kids couldn't stand my music, so I told them someday your kids won't be able to stand your music. Oh no! not my music. Now like me, they both like Pink Floyd (my son is 20 and my daughter 16) My daughter even likes some of Van Morrison. In gr 8 she hated it when I sang along with Brown Eyed Girl because it reminded me of her (except a few parts-but we'll ignore those). But I do think the music somehow was better in the 60 and 70's. There was so much more experimentation. Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Byrds, Cream, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, David Bowie etc etc) It wasn't one type of music (like today it seems to me it's either hard rock, bubblegum music, or hip-hop. But who am I to say what good music is. If somebody is really moved by music, whatever it is, Classic, Rock, Jazz, then someone really doesn't have the right to condemn something they don't like (but I don't like hip-hop or punk-I'm sorry ) Below is part of a thread I started a while back.

Van Morrison, Marvin Gaye (What’s Going On), Temptations, Drifters (Under the Boardwalk) Spencer Davis Group, Gimme, Gimme some Lovin, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues The Voice (always imagined Uncle Bruce looking like Graeme Edge-the drummer- even back when I used to go to H20) Canadians - Burton Cummings and Gino Vanelli, Lighthouse were good in the 70's. Another Canadian Neil Young Harvest Moon, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, the Byrds Eight Miles High, Turn , Turn, Turn, Simon & Garfunkel The Boxer. the Eagles. I even liked Juthro Tull (Ian Anderson) at times. So many good groups we've missed. I even liked funk at times (was that in the 80"s?) Sly & the Family Stone Dance to the Music. I did like Howard Jones.

Here's a link for us oldies that grew up in the 60's (groovy) http://www.orangesunshine.com/text/the60s.htm (sorry you'll have to copy & paste)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit