US Patriotism VS the Rest of the World

by Xena 107 Replies latest jw friends

• safe4kids
    safe4kids
    I am getting quite tired of the constant whining of "America bashing" whenever any post that is critical of America is made. It really is a lame excuse for not addressing the topic and issues raised

Agreed, Simon. It's quite annoying...what is also quite annoying is Prisca not being called on her snide remarks and overgeneralizations; she often makes inflammatory comments, but because she doesn't use bad language and is a bit slyer with her insults and 'baiting' behaviors, they are often overlooked. I don't personally have anything against Prisca, I don't have any problem with people being critical of AMERICA. I DO have a problem with what I perceive to be double standards and lumping the majority of us together as "ignorant" and "blind".

Rant done; back to schoolwork and life.

Dana

• nowisee
    nowisee

personally, i hope i NEVER blindly believe in or defend or applaud ANY organized structure after my experience doing so with wts, be it religious, political, social or other. i deplore the mentality of, "my country right or wrong." im not sure that self-congratulatory demonstrations such as the one that took place in nyc the other day about the us "victory" in iraq serves any positive purpose at all. to me it only increases dissension, and ill will.

one of the most chilling scenes i ever saw in a film was the scene in the pre wwII german beer-garden in cabaret. remember? -- a beautiful sunny day, people enjoying themselves, then one lone voice singing an innocent beautiful song to which one by one the people join in, building to a crescendo, singing/shouting, "tomorrow belongs to us." blind nationalism/patriotism is very frightening to me. and i do think that the us has seen a lot of it particularly since 9ll, much of it certainly rooted in fear rather than love.

shouldn't we be trying to blur the lines between us rather than define them?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Nowisee,

I have Cabaret on video, and that particular piece is visually and audibly quite stunning:

The sun on the meadow is summery warm
    The stag in the forest runs free
    But gathered together to greet the storm
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    The branch on the linden is leafy and green
    The Rhine gives its gold to the sea
    But somewhere a glory awaits unseen
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    The babe in his cradle is closing his eyes
    The blossom embraces the bee
    But soon says the whisper, arise, arise
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Chorus Now Fatherland, Fatherland, show us the sign
    Your children have waited to see
    The morning will come when the world is mine
    Tomorrow belongs to me
    Tomorrow belongs to me

Wow!

Englishman.

• nowisee
    nowisee

thank you, englishman. -- i knew i didn't have it exactly right. thanks for sharing that with us, hopefully some food for thought.

nowisee

• berylblue
    berylblue
    It is very noteable that Americans take any type of criticism of their country so personally. I think that is one thing that makes these sorts of subjects difficult to discuss - the inability of Americans to look at themselves objectively

Gee, that's so true. ALL Americans lack the abiilty to look at themselves objectively. And we ALL take criticism of our country "so" personally. Yup. A very intelligent, sound, objective and rational thought. Thanks ever so much for enlightening me. I've only just been living here for 47 years; I can't possibly have the "handle" on the reality of the situation in the US the way you do, living in another part of the world. . I'm so glad you, an outsider blessed with extraordinary skills of obervation and perception, has been so kind as to share (with unobjective little American me) the insight on my fellow countrywomen and men that I so obviously lack....

With such incendiary statements such as the one quote aboved, are you at all surprised that these "sorts of subjects" are difficult to discuss?

Rosemarie

• berylblue
    berylblue
    This has the potential to be an interesting and informative topic but we can already see attempts to drag it down.

Dragged down by WHOM, Simon?

I find Prisca condescending and hostile at best. If she can post her vitriol, then why is any attempt to refute her considered "dragging" things down?

Rosemarie

• Englishman
    Englishman
    It is very noteable that Americans take any type of criticism of their country so personally. I think that is one thing that makes these sorts of subjects difficult to discuss - the inability of Americans to look at themselves objectively

Simon, that was a terrible thing to say, far too generalised IMHO.

Englishman.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Englishman,

I don't think Simon wrote that. I believe I was quoting Prisca.

Rosemarie

• foreword
    foreword

OK, so I'll try to be moderate in my comments.

There is no country exempt of tyranny, the US included. Let me explain.

Tyranny is closely tied to exploitation.

Tyrant: in ancient Greece: usurper: harsh despotic ruler; any person enforcing his will on others cruelly and arbitrarily.
    Usurper: to take possession of unlawfully or by force.
    Despot: one who rules with absolute power; a tyrant: one who enforces his will on others.

So is the US government a tyrant? No it is not.

But does tyranny exist in the US. Yes it does, through the "English Law" concept of corporations, with it's lobbyist system.

Let me give you an example of financial tyranny meticuously disguised to be a law and tax, set up by corporate lobbyists, set up under the pretense that it is for your good and protection.

Insurance coverage.

Insurance is a good thing, especially if something disastrous happens to you or if you are a victim. Serves as a protection. No problem there.

But you see, they have made it law. An obligation, you have no choice, you have to pay for it. So then, since it's a necessity, why are they allowed to make huge profits from this. If you happen to be a victim, you'll have to fight damn hard to get your money and they'll fight damn hard not to give what is your due.

Sit down and think about it. Think about all the money that is funneled through this system alone, from your pockets to theirs. If this is not financial tyranny, I don't know what is.

It is said that 80% of the resources are controlled by the top 20%.

And surprise, your leaders are part of that 20%.

Small and medium business in this country were making money 30 years ago. Talk to them now and you'll get a different picture. They are plagued by government obligations set up to profit corporations.

So you see, slowly but surely, corporations are sucking up all your resources and money right in front of you eyes.

And you'll claim high and low that you are not exploited. I don't get it.

I've seen plenty of injustices in this country and refuse to lay down and not voice my opinion about normal business practices disguised for the purpose of extortion and tyranny. And you should too.

That's what I'm against.

These corporate tyrants should be removed just as Saddam was removed because they take and don't give back. They hide their agenda and pretend...yes pretend, it's all for your benefit..

I will fight for equality, in freedom and in financial prosperity, till the day I die.

Mark.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Simon, that was a terrible thing to say, far too generalised IMHO.

Englishman.

Oops. Sorry Simon, my mistake. BTW, Prisca, that was a terrible thing to say. Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit