What TV shows were forbidden in your JW household?

by Funchback 56 Replies latest social entertainment

• FindTheLost
    FindTheLost

Lawrence Welk was in...American Band Stand was out

Little House on the Prarrie in...Adams Family and Munsters out

Looney Toons in...Laugh In was out

No monster shows/movies like Godzilla (I was scared the first time at age 17 I watch a Godzilla movie),

Any magician or paranormal/magic shows like Ghost and Mrs. Muir, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched were out,

No war movies, but we could watch the Vietnam war in technical at our dinner table,

During Christmas time...nothing to watch. Couldn't watch classic movies like Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th St., etc

No holiday centered cartoons, movies, shows.

Don't know why we had a tv half the tiime...spent more time dusting it than watching.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

FTL, I think we had the same parents!

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

We avoided the usual Harry Potter thing, especially for the kids, but we were not TV haters, oh no, certainly not me, I was always an action hero, loved Schwarzenegger/van Damme (Yes...double standard...I know... )

Before my fading however, I heard of a brother who was raised in the "truth" that his older sisters really wanted to see Charlie's Angels. The father never liked most of the "worldly" 70's/80's series and his usual reply was: "I don't want demons in my house!".lol

After a while, the mother softened his heart and voila...enter Charlie's Angels.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I grew up with parents who did not have television growing up themselves, so yes there were shows which were brutally tuned off Bewitched was one. There were others.

Ironically we as kids knew that what we were watching was make belief and not real or factual.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I only had 5 channels from late 70s to mid 90s. My family either didn't have access to cable or couldn't afford it.

We had only one TV and we watched whatever my father was viewing. My father wasn't a witness but enforced their silly rules.

With that being said we were only banned from:

Married with Children, Roseanne, and the cartoon Dungeons and Dragons.

I didn't watch a lot of TV growing up.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

We didn't have a tv when

I was at home (before 1980). Actually now I'm glad. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

• freddo
    freddo

My parents weren't real jw die-hards when it came to TV watching in the UK.

In the 1970's the UK only had 3 channels and Colour TV was only transmitted on one of them part time from 1967 and by mid 1970 all 3 were full time colour.

My family were fairly early in getting a colour TV and I remember that my normally frugal parents spent £250 on a Colour TV set (about £3000 in todays values!) in 1970 from an inheritance. I distinctly remember my mother saying we might as well spend it as "it would be all over by 1975!"

So programmes - Bewitched was allowed although other jw's felt it was "wrong".

Scooby-Doo was my favourite which I always got away with because as I said "it was always the fairground owner or the museum curator in a sheet"

Smurfs were never big over here and were just viewed like the seven dwarfs in my area - no one to tell us they were demonised!

Dr. Who/Star Trek/Star Wars - no problem. A bit of concern over Lord of the Rings and in later years Harry Potter seemed to be a no-no but I always took the view it was fantasy and watched it without telling anyone!

Soaps

Dallas was big over here and a cause of debates. The UK Soaps of Coronation Street and especially Eastenders were watched and condemned in equal measure by the moderates and the self-righteous.

I remember my mother being told by a self righteous elder relative that she shouldn't watch soaps and she told him that as long as he watched James Bond films with "sex and violence" he could keep his nose out!

Superman and Batman was OK and Disney fantasy stuff like Beauty and the Beast was too so in a jw way it was quite moderate.

• Landy
    Landy

Our CO condemned the A-Team,

Crazy damn fool.

• ULFBERHT
    ULFBERHT
    Saturday Night Live.
  • zeb
    zeb
    I recall some one saying that the film "Crocodile Dundee" was so/so as the couple in it were not married.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit