What TV shows were forbidden in your JW household?

by Funchback 56 Replies latest social entertainment

• Funchback
    Funchback

In the U.S., Three's Company was not allowed. Why not? It was explained to me that it was an immoral show because a man and women lived together and no one was married.

The sister who gave this observation was a family friend and we were newbies to the religion.

At least I somehow managed to watch the Benny Hill show undetected.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

We didn't even have TV until 1995 :-D

But the Smurfs were evil because of the wizard.

Any soap opera because of immorality.

Etc.etc.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

The golden girls

Three's company

Bewitched

puff the magic dragon

any show that had kissing scenes

Mash

Soap operas

the love boat

Star trek

It's no wonder I was a depressed and unhappy

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    'I dream of Jeannie' was considered witchcraft, 'The monsters' was off limits as well, demonz you know. They would vilify anything just to keep you under there thumb.
  • millie210
    millie210

All of the above

and yet?

The Flying Nun was OK.

Go figure

• Listener
    Listener
    Bewitched was banned but I Dream of Jeannie was okay.
  • tiki
    tiki
    Hah... My mother wouldn't allow a tv in the house until I was about 16....but I think it was more about being cheap...my cheapskate father. Every weekend we'd go to my uncle's and watch non-stop. When we finally got one my mother and I promptly got hooked on soap operas and followed them regularly...I remember one circuit overseer going on and on about how evil they were because some sister supposedly had murdered her husband and soap operas gave her the idea. My rationale was that if someone is so weak minded that watching a stupid show is going to bring out the criminal in them, well they have a bigger problem than watching tv. If that story was true she probably was married to an abuser and broke and rubbed him out.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    The Tomorrows People, deemed spiritualistic even though it was a kids programme, the TP could teletransport and apparently read minds, Dr Who and Star Trek were ok though
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    X-files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Friends (original runs...once it was on reruns, though, it was allowed), NYPD Blue.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Soaps were fine though, secretly my parents were teleholics especially my mum, she loved Dallas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit