Steak And Kidney Pie.

by Englishman 32 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Two pie posts in a day. ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/25/49780/1.ashx ) hmm.. is anyone bonking dead kidneys?

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

Have eaten Cornish pastys made here in the states. beef, potatoes and vegs inside.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Yummy! With gravy and mushy peas, definitely!

And yes it's true about the donating blood thing. I can't donate here in Canada because of my British background.

Expatbrit

• Princess
    Princess

I've never tried steak and kidney pie but it scares me when you talk about soaking the pee out of the kidney.

What are mushy peas?

I can't donate blood here in the US because my tattoo is less than a year old.

• Robdar
    Robdar

What are mushy peas?

Princess,

mushy peas are green peas that have been mashed on a bit. Making them mushy. Or that is what it appeared to be for me when I ate them. The were tasty, btw.

Robyn

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

OK, now that I got that out of the way.

Yeah, Englishman. If you (anyone) had lived in the U.K. from a specified period of time, you cannot donate blood in Canada.

It's true, I'm afraid.

It's too bad I cannot give blood. I have an rh negative blood type, that they desperately need, but they won't allow me. Also, the tattoos - a big no-no!

The mushy peas, oh those are the ones that fall on the floor...

Anyone on here ever eat: Fiddleheads ?

• Scully
    Scully

mmmmmmm fiddleheads!!

When land was being cleared for the Kingdom Hall/Assembly Hall complex in Aylmer, Québec, circa 1989/1990, a few "sisters" and I came across a huge patch of fiddleheads on the property. Well....... we got busy and picked up a huge basket of these fiddleheads and steamed them for lunch!! What a delicacy!

One of the few nice memories of those days....

Love, Scully

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Bringing back some memories here. Steak and kidney pie is one of the few offal dishes I don't mind.

Another is lamb's fry (liver). When I was a kid, the smell of liver and bacon frying assaulting my nostrils as I woke up meant that it was Saturday morning and the weekend was here!

As for oysters in the meat, sounds like a popular Aussie dish from the 70s: carpetbag steak. Basically a fillet steak with a slit in it, filled with Sydney Rock Oysters (small and sweet) and cooked. Was very trendy for a while, but haven't seen it on menus for a long time.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    What are mushy peas?

Mushy peas are one of those weird dishes that come originally from a very basic background. Before the advent of freezers, food, such as peas, could be dried and stored for many months in an open top jar without deteriorating. When they were required for eating, they would simply be soaked overnight in water and then heated.

The consistency and colour was considerably altered, however, so that the peas took on a mashed or mushy look and the flavour was also altered in the process. Lots of people prefer the taste of peas when they have been through this process.

Many fish and chip shops also offer mushy peas as a side-dish too. Ideally, the chips are fried in beef fat and the fish is covered in batter before being fried also.

Englishman.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Wiping the drool off my chin!!!Oh for a steak & kidney pie!!! I would even go back to the Kingdom Hell.

Throw in a dish of eels I would even knock on a few doors.& chuck in a Wally with a bit of Cod Roe-I would be happy to give a talk.. Of course not facing the audience -me being a woman...

But I promise you it would be a good talk I "aint" called Mouthy for nothing ...All about the UN. Organ Transplants, Blood fractions.1914-or even I would sing you a song "We Must Watch How We Walk & Watch How We Talk "for a few slice of Tongue... > Oh the blooming English blokes starting posts like this ...I wont ever get to eat that stuff again >>boohoo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit