Dress for Memorial

by goofy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• goofy
    goofy

Ok, advice please. I just bought a red layered dress. I don't know how to explain it completely, but it is a red chiffon and a copy of a very famous German styler. I know some wholesalers and bought this dress for $70 but it would retail for $400 if in the store. I have been advised not to wear this dress to Memorial because it would draw attention to myself and look bad since the attention should be centered on the occasion. It is a modest dress, actually ankle length and a little flouncy. But very elegant and it is attention getting. I have been told that I will look like I am being rebellious after all this time of not being at the Hall and walking in with a red chiffon dress. I just fell in love with this dress and had to have it and I want to wear it Wednesday. I am going in the first place to please family. I know how it would hurt them if I did not attend. But I don't want to look like I am causing trouble. Do you think it will look like I am trying to make a scene or wear a nice dress?

• Gopher
    Gopher

As long as it's modest, who should care?

Only people who don't like you personally would use the dress as an excuse to say something bad.

Your family will probably be tickled to see you show up, if even in your pajamas.

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake

The memorial is an occasion of someone that feels they are of the bride class, awaiting their marital union with Christ. A happy, beautiful event, when one can confess of this union.

I say, hell yeah, look your best, and liven up this occasion that the Watchtower has made so depressing and exclusive only to their VIP Old fogies at Bethel!!

• Seven
    Seven

Goofy, You will look Ab Fab!! I'll add my best pair of Docs to complete the outfit.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Yes, you should certainly look your best for the one Witness holiday of the year, that special, joyous occasion when all of Jah's followers assemble to ... uh ... look at a plate of saltines wafers and glass of flat wine. Indeed, with such sweeping festivities, such outpouring of celebration, such ecstatic displays of frolicking happiness, who's going to notice one little red dress?

Dedalus

• berylblue
    berylblue

Wear what you want. If someone wants to criticize you, s/he will find any reason to do so. At least you'll look fabulous if they do!

Rosemarie

• minimus
    minimus

Then wear a blood red dress that says "I LUV CHRIST". Don't be so goofy, Goofy. If anybody tells you what you should wear, IGNORE them. Who gives a crap what anyone else thinks?

• Kep
    Kep

Goofy,

If you are going there to please your family, then maybe you might have to ask them what they think.

It sounds like "Da Bomb" !!

My personal opinion is who gives as toss..... you being there is the important thing.

Kep

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I never really understood why some jws felt like they needed to dress to the nines for the memorial. I remember sisters going all out wearing evening like dresses with sequins and suits with huge church looking hats. Kinda ridculous now. Since when is the memorial a big social event? I personally am not into that anymore. If I do go I guess I will have to drag out my old kingdom hall clothes. But then again maybe I won't go at all.

• TemeculaMole
    TemeculaMole

In my opinion it is possible to dress inappropriatly for various occasions. This has nothing to do with being or not being a JW but is simply a matter of ettiquette. I would imagine your dress would not be appropriate at a funeral. And of course at wedding event the bride is the focus of attention and attempting to outshine her is always in poor taste.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit