U.S. Say It May Have Found Iraqi WMD Storage Site

by Yizuman 49 Replies latest jw friends

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

"Smoking gun" WMD site in Iraq turns out to contain pesticide

Mon Apr 7, 1:52 PM ET
    Add Mideast - AFP to My Yahoo!

NEAR NAJAF, Iraq (AFP) - A facility near Baghdad that a US officer had said might finally be "smoking gun" evidence of Iraqi chemical weapons production turned out to contain pesticide, not sarin gas as feared.

A military intelligence officer for the US 101st Airborne Division's aviation brigade, Captain Adam Mastrianni, told AFP that comprehensive tests determined the presence of the pesticide compounds.

Initial tests had reportedly detected traces of sarin -- a powerful toxin that quickly affects the nervous system -- after US soldiers guarding the facility near Hindiyah, 100 kilometres (60 miles) south of Baghdad, fell ill.

Mastrianni said: "They thought it was a nerve agent. That's what it tested. But it is pesticide."

He said a "theatre-level chemical testing team" made up of biologists and chemists had finally disproved the preliminary field tests results and established that pesticide was the substance involved.

Mastrianni added that sick soldiers, who had become nauseous, dizzy and developed skin blotches, had all recovered.

The turnaround was an embarrassment for the US forces in the region, which had been quick to say that they thought they had finally found the proof they have been actively looking for that Iraq ( news - web sites) was hiding weapons of mass destruction.

A spokesman for the US army's 3rd Infantry Division, Major Ross Coffman, had told journalists at Baghdad's airport that the site "could be a smoking gun".

"We are talking about finding a site of possible weapons of mass destruction," he added.

The fact that the coalition forces have come up with no clear evidence of WMD after capturing much of Iraq in 19 days of fighting has raised questions over the war's justification.

• DJ
    DJ

You could always go to Iraq.....Robyn.....lol. Seriously though, my sister left for the Italian Alps a year ago. My brother in law lives between the US and Rome whenever he pleases. I have no desire to live outside of the US at this time but if I decided to leave I'm sure that I could. Whatever immigration laws that GB may have really has nothing to do w/ the US. The way that foreward bashed this country with unfounded and yes, malicious deceit, I'm surprised that you aren't intelligent enough to see that. I wish you all the best in your search for a new land.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Edited to say that you have a private message, DJ.

Robyn

• DJ
    DJ

Oh goody.

• DJ
    DJ

Robyn,

Check your inbox....goodnight. Donna

• Robdar
    Robdar

DJ,

I still haven't gotten your message. BTW, I sent you 2. The private message seems to be slow tonight.

Good night.

Robyn

• Realist
    Realist

Well it turned out to be a false alarm! STILL NO WMD found in iraq!

how is bush gona justify this war if nothing is found? they basically HAVE to plant something there otherwise they would like complete asses.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    I hate the likes of Saddam, and I hate the likes of Bush also. They are all mentally unstable individuals who have grown up in very dysfunctional family units, where money and power were the only important things in life. And they are more fucked up than you and me

I usually don't go in for political topics. However....

This is SO true. For the life of me, I just don't understand how the average American can't see how Hitler-esque George Bush is in his tactics, and where he would like to "lead" the American people. What makes his ideology of an "axis of evil" any less reprehensible than Hitler's "Jews are evil"? I shudder to think where all this is going. And I am sickened by tbose who would deny dissenters the right to voice their disapproval, something which absolutely is going on here in the US. What were those witty little revised lyrics to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It"? Something like, "Bomb Iraq for any reason, If you don't, we'll call it treason". Something like that. Silly but speaks volumes.

I love this country. I really do. I would not want to live any where else. But I am finding it increasingly difficult to sit idly by while Bush makes a mockery of the principles on which this country was founded, and shames and humiliates us in the eyes of the entire world.

Oh, and can you name the country where a woman was recently hanged just for waving to a foreign soldier? And in what country was a 9-year-old boy shot because his parents didn't cooperate with the government? What country doesn't allow debate among its citizens about its policy, and what country is using brutal force on its people because it fears losing their loyalty?

No, this does not happen in the US....right NOW. But who is to say that it never could? The longer persons like Bush are in power, the more we will see our basic rights in the US erode. I can guarantee you that.

Back to silence on political topics now.

Rosemarie

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

Well it turned out to be a false alarm! STILL NO WMD found in iraq!

how is bush gona justify this war if nothing is found?

imo (as you know already), theres no doubt they will be found (and im not talking about them getting "planted" them as the extreme paranoids would believe). when you scream "STILL NO WMD found in iraq!".....keep in mind the short amount of time weve been at war, and what our objectives are. our number one objective right now is to take down the regime. there are soldiers searching for wmd, but in reality 125,000 soldiers in iraq really isnt that many considering the cities, roads, airports, etc. that we have control of or are taking control of.....and the push to baghdad continues on top of that....battles taking place every day, the whole way....supply lines to man, etc. its not like we can just put the guns down and concentrate on the massive search efforts that need to take place. dont forget we are talking about a country the size of california, and these wmd arent exactly sitting out in the open with a "here they are" sticker on them. we havent even begun to search the underground tunnel systems in baghdad, which i undertand stretch for miles, and are many, many stories underground. we could stumble on to a wmd site at any time, but its more than likely going to be quite awhile after the regime falls before they are all uncovered.

aa

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

as extreme paranoids would believe

is it that paranoid? just step back for a second and consider the embarrassment for the bush admin. if nothing is found. do you really think it is so far fetched that they would try to plant something in iraq to get their justification?

as odd as it may sound...i basically agree with the rest of your post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit