Try Not To Vomit When You Read Todays Text

by pale.emperor 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Tuesday, February 27

Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.​—1 Tim. 5:17.

Those related to us in the faith certainly merit honor and respect. This is especially true of the elders who are taking the lead. We honor these brothers regardless of their nationality, education, social standing, or financial status. The Bible refers to them as “gifts in men,” and they are a key part of God’s arrangement to care for the needs of his people. (Eph. 4:8) Think of congregation elders, circuit overseers, Branch Committee members, and the members of the Governing Body. Our brothers and sisters in the first century had high regard for those appointed to take the lead, and we feel similarly today. We do not idolize well-known representatives of the Christian congregation or react in their presence as if angels were standing nearby. Still, we do respect and honor such brothers for their hard work and humility.​—2 Cor. 1:24; Rev. 19:10. w17.03 1:13

Not that i waste my time reading the days text anyway (it came up when i was looking for a reference for another post on here) but i couldn't help shaking my head at this.

"Think of congregation elders, circuit overseers, Branch Committee members, and the members of the Governing Body. Our brothers and sisters in the first century had high regard for those appointed to take the lead..."

Funny, there was no Governing Body in the first century. Nor were there Branch Committee members or circuit overseers. The bible has no such words.

I honor only two elders. One who left the org 2 years ago because he refused go along with their child abuse policy. And the other is Paul Grundy, who also left the org and founded JWFacts.com.

The only GB member worthy of honor was Ray Franz.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

" We do not idolize well-known representatives of the Christian congregation or react in their presence as if angels were standing nearby."

That is such a bizarre thing for them to write. Shows the GB's perception of what goes through publishers' heads when they stroll among those mere mortals. The Society has likened the GB as wrongly regarded with celebrity status in one WT a few years ago. Now they've bumped it up to angelic status. What's next? "We should try our hardest not to bow before the Governing Body as though they are manifestations of Jehovah himself. Instead, we should humbly lick the soles of their shoes."

• pometerre21
    pometerre21

I also happened to read the text today for the first time in weeks...and that crap was it. The fact that they even use the word “high regard” is telling. They expect reverence just short of worship is what I got from the text. Such humility. I wonder what Jesus would think if he were real.

And yeah, the only time there was a governing body was when they had an issue. No group of men controlled the early Christians and dictated their every move. The closest to that was Paul with his damn letters.

• Listener
    Listener
    Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.​—1 Tim. 5:17.

They just ignore the part that qualifies them of honor and that's when they have gone about their work in a 'fine way'.

They also choose to ignore this scripture just a few paragraphs away at 1 Timothy 2:20 " But those elders who are sinning you are to reprove before everyone, so that the others may take warning."

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Subtle yet clear attempt to influance thinking. phycology teaches us that you never try to tell someone NOT to think something. The end result is that the human automatically beings to think the thought that was implanted. So what happens here.... rather than treat the gb as “normal” they have given the thought, inadvertently or not, that the gb should be treated like angles. Too late, btw. Toght pants tony said in the branch visit a few years ago if you didnt like what he said you could take it up with jesus. He already compared himself to being just below jesus.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

All the WT. Cult is doing is throwing a bone to the elders to build them up a little so they can keep doing the bidding of the Borg. In my early years as a elder when they mention this verse it had a effect on me to keep going on and do your job. At the end before I stepped down I could see how they would used this verse as a motivational tool so elders would keep being loyal to the GB.. Still Totally ADD

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good point STADD! Yes, by flattering such elders, they become enamoured with their standing as big fish in a small bowl.

Also, good point Morph. In fact, how often have the GB approved articles with pictures or diagrams showing the 'theocratic hierarchy' starting at Jehovah, then Jesus, then through to the GB and Elders etc....

So, while they may say "don't praise such ones" their own literature says the opposite.

No wonder the average witness has a hard time knowing how to act or respond!

• carla
    carla

I thought they weren't supposed to show 'honor' to any human? that is part of the reason they don't do birthdays so as not to show undue honor to a person. Do I have this wrong?

(also birthdays are not in the bible or bad things happen on b-days, so they say, never mind Job celebrating)

"We do not idolize well-known representatives" - Aren't there pictures somewhere of the gb autographing bibles? wouldn't that be 'idolizing'? r&f would be proud to show off their autographed bible. No different than getting autographs from entertainers or sports personalities.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

And we wonder why these guys think they are something special. I wouldn't trust these "men" to haul my trash out, much less take my problems to them.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Its all so wonderful. The uneducated men who have the % of making good decisions no better than a coin flip - yet they deserve so much for the people they screw.

And the rest is so nice except there is NO evidence of a Governing Body in the bible - nor any kind of organization as they have today.

Just bullshit that the R&F (like I used to) eat and ask for seconds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit