Comments You Will Not Hear at the 4-6-03 WT Study

by blondie 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

Blondie:
    Great posting! I was really looking forward to your spin on this particular one, especially after chuckling my way thru this article earlier today. I really needed the comic relief. I simply cannot believe the unmitigated gall of the bozos in the Writing department who came up with this crapola deluxe. They must be of the annointed, cause their cerebellums are only firing on a few cylinders...

As for me, I am 155 years old and have been taking my anti-depressants a little too heavily lately, as I have to sit thru these laughably ridiculous meetings still- but this one takes them all! I don't think I can force myself to make a comment on this double-dog-dogmatic drivel - it really offends me to the core. I guess I can answer the kiddie's question about the time and place for the Memorial - the rest of it I won't be able to force myself to comment on.

What I will say is this: Jesus would be ashamed of this piece or crap, of the ones who wrote it, and of the Pharasaic way that they impose their rules and dogma on the rest of the 16 million affected by this. Shame on them! Shame on them! How dare they impose their class schemes on Christ's followers!! God is not partial to any man, remember??

I suggest that we all band together on this, visit a different hall in another county and partake anyway. Be mysterious, arrive late, say we're from Bethel, be inconspicuous, partake and leave immediately. They'll never even know what hit them til it's too late!

I proposed this little bit of "theocratic guerrilla warfare" in my earlier posting here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/47713/1.ashx. Please take a look at it now. It has never been more relevant. Doing this little act of civil - no theocratic- disobedience will keep the GB frustrated, and continue to prove that every last single prophecy uttered by the Faithless and Indiscreet Scam_artists is false...

Last, but not least, there were 2 things that really, really bugged and offended me in this article, which one of you touched upon, but needs to be brought to light.

1. Historically ancient references. This article contained a reference from "Studies in the Scriptures Vol. VI"? Did you notice that? I have not seen such an ancient reference before. What are they thinking of? These books are extremely rare and can only be found in some KH Libraries or on Ebay. Of course, I have a copy, but how many would even have a copy of this to check the reference? ISN"T THAT ANNOYING!!!!

2. Morphing and misuse of important scriptures. In two places in this article, a phrase or word is blended in with a portion of another scripture, without fully quoting the original scripture, and undoubtedly morphing or changing drastically the originally meaning of the scripture misused. I guess the F&DS is getting INDISCREET these days, and has forgotten the curse at the end of Revelation about not adding or removing a word from a scripture in the Bible?

In summary, I think anyone who believes in Christ and God and in Christ's sacrifice, and who takes its meaning seriously and gives it deep spiritual consideration and prayerful thought, is entitled to partake at the Memorial. I challenge those who are still "in" and attending to consider doing this. WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? WOULD HE BE BRAVE ENOUGH TO ENTER THE TEMPLE AND PARTAKE?

How about you? What will you do?

• blondie
    blondie

Freddi,
    Why can't they see what they are being smoothly coerced into believing? But why should I ask that since I was swayed into getting baptized as a j.w. yrs ago myself. All I can do is pray for them to really find the "Truth that sets us free."

Some are coerced, freddi. Some are told what they want to hear. I have noticed how often people who respond to the "message" are so often people who are going through a difficult point in their life, divorce, death of a loved one, economic loss, etc. So the JWs "tickle their ears" and tell them about "living forever on a paradise earth." In fact, that is the message, not the kingdom of God or vindicating the sovereignty of God as the WTS proclaims is the message. There was an article not too long ago that tried to correct this "paradise soon" syndrome that the WTS had created and that was boomeranging on them. Notice what one "privileged brother" says where "Paradise Now" can be found. I guess he knows it is not in the congregations. Think back on how often the promise of life everlasting on a paradise earth is emphasized. Think of the title of the major study books for those who study with JWs, "The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life," "You Can Live Forever in Paradise On Earth," "Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life." So the WTS has been preaching paradise soon but not delivering and are surprised when some leave disillusioned realizing they have been lied to.

4/1/99 WT

p. 27 In Search of Paradise
    I really believe that if any house deserves the description "Paradise Now," it is Bethel—the "House of God"—for the real paradise is, above all else, spiritual, and spirituality reigns at Bethel.

AS TOLD BY PASCAL STISI

7/15/99 WT

p. 18 Anchored by Hope, Impelled by Love

Some who have stopped associating with the Christian congregation still believe that it practices the true religion. However, they evidently lack the patience and endurance required to wait for the new world that Jehovah God has promised. Life in Paradise has not come soon enough for them.

A few dedicated Christians in some parts of the world appear to have reefed the sails of their ship of faith. The ship is still afloat, but instead of forging ahead in full faith, they have adopted a cruising speed. Drawn by the hope of "Paradise soon," some were prepared to spare no efforts to attain it—zealous in the preaching work and regular in attendance at all meetings, assemblies, and conventions. Now thinking that the realization of their hopes is farther off than they anticipated, they have lowered the price they are willing to pay. This is evident in reduced preaching activity, irregularity at meetings, and willingness to miss parts of assembly or convention programs. Others are devoting more time to recreation and to obtaining material comforts. These facts lead us to consider what should be the driving force in our lives in line with our dedication to Jehovah. Should our zeal in his service be dependent on the hope of "Paradise soon"?

Artful,

Rather, what they are really saying is, the flock should use more than just the WT paragraphs to answer the question, they should look up supplementary information supplied by the WT.

I was 3 rd generation JW. My older relatives talk about how the Bible was used more. Look in the WT bound volumes from the 50’s and you will find two paragraphs in the WT just a quoted scripture. They actually used the huge green cross-referenced NWT in their personal study. The sermons used by JWs at the door consisted of 8 scriptures. Now JWs can’t even name the 9 fruitages of the spirit let alone the 66 books of the Bible. The WTS has to provide pre-developed sermons for JWs today incorporating one scripture. The use of the Reasoning From the Scriptures book has to be pushed at the Service Meeting and incorporated into the material for talks in the School. JWs, except for a few, are Bible illiterates. All they know is the 15 or so scriptures that are constantly quoted in the publications, Matthew 24:14, 28:19,20, 24:45; Revelation 21:4, etc. Look at the panic on the face of a JW who is told by a householder that they will study but only using the Bible. The JW can’t conduct a study without a publication. So you hit it on the head, artful.

Thanks, DantheMan,

I can't stand reading the Towerspeak

It bugs me to no end too. But every time I do a review I am reminded why I no longer attend. It also helps me see how bold the WTS is getting in presenting their half-truths and outright lies.

Hey, Joe. You bear a striking resemblance to CTR; he had no children though because he practiced celibacy even while married.

They must be of the annointed, cause their cerebellums are only firing on a few cylinders...

I am positive that the anointed are no longer involved in the writing of this stuff directly. The "Nethinim" just recycle the crap from the past, cut and paste. They treat it with reverence, more than they give the Bible. Reading Crisis of Conscience I realized that a nonanointed brother had more to do with what appeared in the publications than any on the GB. I know all this will go over the heads of the JWs in over 90,000 congregations. Out of 100 attending, only about 10 will answer and then 5 of those will read it from the paragraph; 3 will allude to a scripture, and one might read one from the Bible. I don’t miss it at all.

In two places in this article, a phrase or word is blended in with a portion of another scripture, without fully quoting the original scripture, and undoubtedly morphing or changing drastically the originally meaning of the scripture misused.

I have commented in the past about the WTS use of "snippets" and stringing them together to create a new scripture. There was such an abundance of crap this week that I ignored that. Thanks for the heads up.

As to partaking, I don’t want to partake with people I no longer respect. If I had been an Israelite in the days of Isaiah when the priests were worshiping false Gods in the temple, I would have stayed home for all my worship. I understand that the Passover was not celebrated by the Israelites in the temple but amongst family and friends, just as Jesus did with the apostles. I will be celebrating with my best friend and family member, my husband, in our home.

Blondie

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was amazed at the negative attitude of the study today. The theme scripture contained the words "Unworthily" and "Guilty", the whole thing was clearly out to discourage them from partaking .

After all, the figures are going the wrong way. When I was a kid I used to marvel at the reducing number of remnant, when human nature would draw people to believe they may of the elite class. "Must be the Holy Spirit, " I thought . Now? , well, it isnt, is it?

The graph on page 18 proudly showed the attenders, it is the partakers that cause a problem . A thinly veiled threat in par 4 "Anyone who shows disrespect, even contempt,for Jesus sacrifice would be in danger of being "Cut off" from Gods people.

Par. 14 creased me up, "Do I take medication that affect my emotions"

If you feel a heavenly calling "What are you on? ", or you desire prominence, or you are nuts, para 13.

Lets see if it has the effect and reduces the numbers of partakers. After all M Henschel has died and you are to stay at home - that is a start !

Incidentally, 47 memorials is about the same as me. At one time it meant a lot to me .

• Room 215
    Room 215

Blondie, fine work; it's elicited a ton of excellent comments. Upon reflection, it's clear how insidious the WTBTS dogma about two classes and its corollary, the literal 144,000, has distorted the Christian message and vitiated the moral force of so many of Jesus' clear statements. Examples are the damage done to the simple exhortation to charity and kindness to all ment found in the Lord's parable of the sheep and the goats; the unwarranted elitism insisted upon by a dying Gerontocracy (see Isaiah book Part II, Page 260); the denial and trivializing of Christ's mediation for all man (1 Tim.: 2, 5,6), the sonship of God for all believers (Romans Chapt. 8) and the ludicrously forced explanation as of John 10:16.

As they continue their struggle to force a round peg into a square hole, what passes for the WT ``braintrust" skews the Scripture beyond the point of recognition; it almost makes me wish that an aging old man's hallucinatory dreams (Revelation), which made it into the Canon by the skin of its teeth, had been left out by the Good bishops who made the determination.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks to Blondie for the excellent material !

Second, thanks to the many comments added that are making

this topic very , very interesting.

Third, to show how the WTBS Inc. – still use the – method-

of cut and paste and from older articles .

Here below is what they published ..over 28 years ago

about the same subject:

*** w75 2/15 105-8 Anointing to a Heavenly Hope-How Is It Manifest?

WRITING to the congregation of anointed Christians in Corinth, the apostle Paul said that God has “put his seal upon us and has given us the token of what is to come, that is, the spirit, in our hearts.”—2 Cor. 1:21, 22.

How do those who have been anointed by God to be his heavenly sons and who receive the sealing of the spirit manifest this? Is it possible for someone to think that he or she is thus anointed and yet be mistaken?

There is an evident need for Scriptural understanding of these points. For example, in a few congregations in one large country of Africa, certain persons attending the celebration of the Lord’s Evening Meal partook for the first time and were seen to shake visibly or to make other unusual movements while partaking. Is this in harmony with the Scriptures as to the way God’s spirit acts toward those anointed? Is it evidence of his spirit in the hearts of such ones, giving them a “token” or foretaste of the heavenly sonship to which they are called?

The answer to these questions must be No. Such strange conduct is instead characteristic of certain religious sects that encourage giving way to unrestrained actions, or of ritual dances of certain tribes that encourage emotional excitement.

The Bible nowhere indicates that—either at the time of God’s anointing of someone as called to the heavenly kingdom or after such anointing—the action of God’s spirit produces conduct of an abnormal, showy or undignified nature. On the day of Pentecost it is true that Jehovah God caused miraculous things to occur, such as the “noise just like that of a rushing stiff breeze” that filled the house where the disciples were, and the “tongues as if of fire” that sat upon those anointed by holy spirit. These miraculous features provided by God himself served to draw many people there so that a mighty witness could be given and also to give powerful evidence that God’s favor had passed from fleshly Israel under the Law covenant to spiritual Israel under the new covenant. The disciples were able to speak in the different languages of those drawn there, a gift also miraculously given. But there is nothing to indicate that the disciples acted in a highly emotional way or with any undignified behavior. The accusation made by some of the observers that the disciples were drunk was not because of any shaking action by the disciples but, as the account shows, it was because such observers heard these Jewish disciples speaking in foreign languages. The address there given by the apostle Peter was a very sober, sensible, logical presentation, not one of emotionalism.—Acts 2:1-36.

After this initial outpouring of the spirit at Pentecost, the Bible does not indicate that the ‘noise like a rushing breeze’ or the “tongues as if of fire” were ever repeated in the cases of others thereafter anointed. Even the gifts of the spirit, such as the miraculous ability to speak in foreign languages, were due to end and did end with the death of the apostles and of those to whom they had imparted such gifts.—Acts 8:14-18; 19:2-6; 1 Cor. 13:8-12.

RECEIVING A TRUE SPIRIT OF SONSHIP

How, then, does God’s holy spirit operate toward those whom he anoints? Romans 8:15-17 tells us, saying: “For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: ‘Abba, Father!’ The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.”

Similarly, at Galatians 4:6, 7, we read: “Now because you are sons, God has sent forth the spirit of his Son into our hearts and it cries out: ‘Abba, Father!’ So, then, you are no longer a slave but a son; and if a son, also an heir through God.”

Therefore the principal evidence one anointed to the heavenly calling has is this spirit or dominant sense of sonship, that is, of having been begotten by God to spiritual sonship as one of the 144,000 heirs of the heavenly kingdom. One genuinely begotten can testify in all good conscience that the heavenly hopes produced in him are not born of his own desires or imaginations but are from Jehovah God, the result of His spirit’s action toward such a one. (1 Pet. 1:3, 4; Rev. 14:1-3) This is at once an awesome privilege and a grave responsibility—becoming the spiritual son of the Universal Sovereign whose ‘name is majestic’ and of whom it is written, “Dignity and splendor are before him.” (Ps. 8:1; 96:6) Certainly for those honored with such call to be his sons, conduct should be expected that would be fittingly representative of this dignified Father, upholding his reputation. They should surely manifest the fruitage of God’s spirit, which includes “self-control.” (Gal. 5:22, 23; 1 Cor. 14:33) Those anointed have as their model God’s Chief Son, Christ Jesus, and should also reflect his spirit or dominant expression of himself. To give in to practices that smack of fleshly tribal customs or of religious sects that encourage uncontrolled emotionalism would not give evidence of genuine spiritual sonship. As the inspired apostle states:

“However, you are in harmony, not with the flesh, but with the spirit, if God’s spirit truly dwells in you. But if anyone does not have Christ’s spirit, this one does not belong to him.”—Rom. 8:9.

At the annual celebration of the Memorial of Christ’s death, then, the conduct of one who is truly of the anointed joint heirs of Christ should be above reproach or question. The apostle Paul had to reprove certain ones in the Corinthian congregation because their conduct at the Lord’s Evening Meal was ‘unworthy’ of the occasion. Some were treating the Memorial emblems as mere food and drink for satisfying hunger and thirst, or, before the occasion they might have used wine to the point of intoxication. Such unworthy conduct showed failure to discern what was represented by the emblems—namely, the blood and body of Christ Jesus that had been offered as a ransom sacrifice. Such disrespectful conduct could bring a judgment upon those engaging in it. It could bring disciplining action from Jehovah.—1 Cor. 11:20-32.

So, no true Christian would want to take lightly the occasion of the Lord’s Evening Meal, either in the ways described by the apostle or in other ways, such as by making a display of himself. The minds of all present should be focused on the vital meaning and significance of the occasion, not on the strange actions of certain individuals. Actions serving to draw attention to the individual would cast a shadow of uncertainty on such a one’s claim to be of God’s anointed. It would be an indication that he did “not have Christ’s spirit.”

REASONS FOR WRONG ASSUMPTIONS BY SOME

What might cause some to assume mistakenly that they are of the anointed ones who should partake of the Memorial emblems? The apostle John said to his fellow anointed Christians: “You have an anointing from the holy one; all of you have knowledge.” (1 John 2:20) Lack of knowledge could be responsible for someone’s assuming wrongly that he or she was thus anointed. One may fail to realize that, as with other favors of God, receiving such anointing “depends, not upon the one wishing nor upon the one running, but upon God.” (Rom. 9:8, 16; Jas. 1:18) So it is not because an individual decides that he or she would like to be of those who will serve as heavenly kings and priests, being taken into the new covenant validated by Christ’s shed blood, which blood is symbolized by the wine used at the Memorial. It is God’s choice, not the individual’s that counts.—Matt. 26:27, 28.

There is no room for presumption, any more than there was when Jehovah God selected those who would serve as priests for him in ancient Israel under the Law covenant. (Compare 2 Chronicles 26:18; Hebrews 5:4, 5.) Korah presumptuously sought the priesthood that Jehovah God had placed in the family of Aaron, and for his rebellious course Korah was executed by God. (Ex. 28:1; Num. 16:4-11) Somewhat similarly, it would certainly be displeasing to God if someone presented himself as called to form part of the heavenly “kingdom of priests” if God had not actually given him such a call. We cannot trifle with Jehovah’s arrangements and still expect to receive his approval. In due time he makes known his judgment.—1 Cor. 4:5; 1 Tim. 5:24, 25.

A possible cause of a person’s mistakenly assuming that he or she had such heavenly calling might be strong emotional pressure owing to severe problems in life—marital problems, perhaps even divorce or the death of a mate, or some other tragedy or great disappointment. These things can cause one to lose interest in life as it is now lived on earth, in effect causing one to become “sour” on such life. If this happens, the person might be moved to feel that life in heaven is what he or she wants. But this is not God’s way of calling persons and giving them the ‘spirit of sonship.’ Such ones should realize that Jehovah God will soon transform life on this earth under his Son’s kingdom and will see to it that “the creation itself also will be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God.” So, even though “all creation keeps on groaning together and being in pain together until now,” this will not go on forever. It would show a lack of appreciation for God’s purpose regarding the earth to view life on it as no longer desirable and—on that basis—entertain hopes of life in heaven.—Rom. 8:20-22.

EXAMINING VALIDITY OF ONE’S HOPES

We can therefore examine ourselves in the light of these points. Has one perhaps been influenced by others to entertain the idea of such heavenly calling? This would not be proper, for God has not assigned persons to “recruit” others through suggestive influence, thus trying to instill in others a hope that God himself has not placed there. Has one, as is the case with many young persons today, had experience with drugs before learning the truth of God’s Word? An introverted tendency toward fantasy or dreaminess or abstract thinking is no sign of anointing by God, nor even of true spirituality. Nor does God employ methods that cause persons to think they hear voices, at times accompanied by music, or similar messages, to convey his anointing of Christian heirs to the Kingdom, though some in recent years have allowed such things to cause them to think they had received a heavenly call.

Finally, one may ask oneself in all honesty, Do I have a tendency toward desiring attention or prominence? Am I anxious for a position of authority, or ambitious to be one of the “kings and priests” associated with Christ Jesus? It is good to remember that in the first century when a general invitation was going out to seek entrance into the heavenly kingdom, not all the anointed Christians held positions of responsibility, not all were elders or ministerial servants of congregations. Nor does such anointing of itself bring exceptional understanding of God’s Word, as can be seen by the way the apostle Paul found it necessary to write certain anointed Christians in his day. (1 Cor. 3:1-3; Heb. 5:11-14) It is noteworthy also of persons today who have long years of service as anointed Christians that they do not view themselves as distinctive or make it a habit to draw attention to their being anointed. They manifest the humility that is to be expected of those who “have Christ’s spirit.” They recognize that the vast majority of requirements that God has set for those gaining life in heaven and those gaining eternal life on earth are the same.

As discussed in the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, pages 147 to 151, evidence indicates that by 1934 God’s attention turned to developing the “great crowd” of persons who will survive the coming “great tribulation” to enter into an earthly New Order and that by that time the number of those called to the heavenly kingdom had reached its full number of 144,000. (Rev. 7:9-14; 14:1-3)

Hence, it would be expected that thenceforth only as a result of an anointed one’s proving unfaithful would there be occasion for another person to be called as a replacement. (Compare Revelation 3:11.) And, as shown in the November 15, 1974, issue of The Watchtower, pages 698 to 700, Jesus’ statement that “there are many invited, but few chosen” does not indicate that the majority of those who are anointed would prove unfaithful and have to be replaced. The “many” Jesus referred to were the millions of persons forming the Jewish nation to whom God’s “invitation” first went and from among whom only a few, comparatively speaking, were chosen as joint heirs with Christ.—Matt. 22:14.

All of us, then, whether having an earthly or a heavenly hope, should be on guard against any presumptuousness on our part and should seek in all ways and at all times to reflect with dignity the ways and qualities of our heavenly Father. We will realize that, as regards being anointed to the heavenly calling, the important thing is not the simple act of partaking of emblems of bread and wine by an individual, but, instead, the important thing is God’s action and decision. So, too, it is not an individual’s claim that is most important but his having “Christ’s spirit” as an anointed son and, in the face of tests, finally conquering so as to become a spirit son of God.—Rev. 2:7, 11, 17, 26; 3:11, 21; 21:7."

Quite interesting I hope. The same retoric, the same …attitude toward all those

who … claim to be ...also members of the "anointed " !

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

"Non omne quod nitet aurum est "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit