Comments You Will Not Hear at the 4-6-03 WT Study

by blondie 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

COMMENTS YOU WILL NOT HEAR AT THE 4-6-03 WT STUDY

FEBRUARY 15, 2003 WT PAGE 17

Quotes from the WT will be in red
    ; reviewers comments in black and parentheses

WHAT DOES THE LORD’S EVENING MEAL MEAN TO YOU?

1 Corinthians 11:27

1 Corinthians 11 (NIV)

27 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

Introduction

This year would have been the 47 th Memorial I have attended. I remember people talking to me that had ignored me the rest of the year. I remember seeing people I hadn’t seen since the last Memorial. I saw that many sisters had on new dresses that made be feel sad because my family could only afford new clothes at the beginning of the school year. So I would wear my favorite dress from September, one of 3 my mother would get me for the whole year. I can remember my mother instructing me in strong words that I was not to eat the bread nor drink the wine. That just made it all the more enticing. I can remember thinking that the bread looked like the crackers my grandfather put his sardines on. I remember the rich aroma of the wine as the glass passed under my nose. I loved Jesus; I prayed every day; I attended the meetings when my mother went and spoke about God every day. Why wasn’t I worthy to partake?

As the years went by, I wondered why Paul’s account of the Memorial was used and not one of the Gospel accounts? I realized it was because Jesus did not spend his time talking about who could not partake. Here are 3 accounts from the NWT.

Matthew

26:26-28

As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf and, after saying a blessing, he broke it and, giving it to the disciples , he said: "TAKE, eat. This means my body." 27 Also, he took a cup and, having given thanks, he gave it to them, saying: "Drink out of it, all of YOU; 28 for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins .

Mark

14:22-24

And as they continued eating, he took a loaf, said a blessing, broke it and gave it to them, and said: "Take it, this means my body." 23 And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, and they all drank out of it. 24 And he said to them: "This means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many.

Luke

22:19-20

Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: "This means my body which is to be given in YOUR behalf . Keep doing this in remembrance of me." 20 Also, the cup in the same way after they had the evening meal, he saying: "This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in YOUR behalf.

From this do we conclude that Jesus meant that his body would be given only in behalf of 144,000 people? Was his blood to be poured out only in behalf of a select few?

The WT article this week is designed to warn off JWs from partaking and to scare any that have been partaking into ceasing. The number of partakers rose by 30 last year that does not coincide with the sixth evidence that we are in the last days that the WTS espouses.

SOME OBSERVED IT UNWORTHILY

The WTS uses the 1 Corinthians 11 account of the Memorial because it concentrates on partaking unworthily. Now this was not because they weren’t of the anointed because every baptized Christian then was of the anointed. There was not "other sheep/great crowd" class. So how were they unworthy?

"There were divisions among them, and at least for a time, some brought their supper and ate it before or during the meeting, often eating and drinking excessively. They were neither mentally nor spiritually alert. Those who had no supper were hungry and became distracted. Yes, many partook without respect and full realization of the seriousness of the event."

I hope the WTS is not suggesting that JWs today have been bringing their dinner to the Memorial and are not worthy. Or that some sister or brother who missed dinner rather than be late to the Memorial is unworthy. It would be an unhealthy person who is distracted by missing one meal.

The WTS brings out that the partakers must scrutinize themselves (this scrutinizing is not done by the elders or anyone else in the congregation) to make sure they are "in a healthy spiritual condition." Does that mean they must attended a certain number of meetings each week, spend a certain number of hours in the ministry, and donate monetarily in the appropriate amount?

ATTENDING AS RESPECTFUL OBSERVERS

Now without any lead in the WTS says:

"Should those now doing good to the remnant of the 144,000 brothers of Christ partake of the Lord’s Evening Meal? No."

"God has reserved that privilege for individuals he has anointed with holy spirit to be ‘joint heirs with Christ.’"

"What, then, is the position of those who hope to live forever in a global paradise under Kingdom rule? Since they are not Jesus’ joint heirs with a heavenly hope, they attend the Memorial as respectful observers?

This is one of better examples of circular reasoning I have ever seen.

Now how do "true Christians" know they are anointed? The WTS reasons this way:

In the first century, "many of them were able to use one or more of the miraculous gifts of the spirit such as speaking in tongues. Therefore, it would not have been difficult for such individuals to know that they were spirit-anointed"

But what the WTS fails to emphasize is that many of the Christians then did not have these abilities. So how did they or others know they were anointed?

Now the WTS tries to quickly say that there have been anointed Christians from 33 CE until 1870 CE.

"Over the centuries, genuine anointed ones grew as ‘wheat’ in a field of ‘weeds,’ or false Christians. Since the 1870’s, the ‘wheat’ became increasing evident, and some years later anointed Christian overseers (everyone was anointed then) were told: ‘set before those who assemble themselves…invite all who are thus minded (faith in the blood of Christ; consecrated to the Lord and his service until death) to join in celebrating (Studies in the Scriptures, Series VI, The New Creation, page 473)

SEARCHING FOR "OTHER SHEEP"

Without much explanation the WTS now segues into the 2 classes.

"In time, Jehovah’s organization (translation: JF Rutherford) began to focus attention on others in addition to Christ’s anointed followers (50,000 anointed and increasing meant that the 144,000 ceiling would quickly be reached; JFR had to come up with an explanation)."

Before the 1930’s, "God’s people viewed the ‘great crowd’ of Revelation 7:9 as a secondary spiritual class that would be associated with the 144,000 resurrected anointed ones in heaven, like bridesmaids."

But when this was explained in 1935 to refer "to the ‘other sheep’ who live during the time of the end" the WTS points out "some who had previously partaken of the Memorial emblems stopped partaking because they realized that their hope was earthly, not heavenly."

Can you see where the WTS is leading the reader? Yes, that some now should stop partaking.

Previously, the WTS called this a privilege only the anointed had. But to make those earthbound followers not feel bad they say:

"These other sheep hope to live on earth forever, but in all other respects, they resemble the present-day remnant of Kingdom heirs."

The WTS points out that alien residents could not become kings or priests in Israel but neglects to point out that they were able to become Israelites. Yet the WTS says that only the anointed are the "Israel of God" at Galatians 6:16. How is that possible?

Then without explanation or proof, the WTS says:

"By the 1930’s, then, it was becoming clear that, in general, the heavenly class had been chosen (actually the WTS—that is, Charles Taze Russell—said that the choosing of the heavenly class ended in 1881)."

And the WTS then reasons:

"If an anointed one proves unfaithful, it is most likely (yes let’s not get too presumptuous and make a judgment that belongs to God) that a person who has long served God faithfully as one of the other sheep would be called."

I wonder how long Herd, Lett, Splane, etc., (the newest members of the GB) had served when they received the call?

WHY MISTAKEN ASSUMPTIONS

Before going into any explanations, the WTS makes some flat statements:

"Anointed Christians are absolutely sure that they have the heavenly calling."Absolutely sure by whose judgment?

"But what if some individuals who lack this call have been partaking of the Memorial emblems?

"Lack this call" based on the mind-reading elders who will pester you over and over and over to make sure you know what you are doing. Too bad they aren’t as thorough when approving baptismal candidates and selecting elders and ministerial servants.

"Their conscience will compel them to stop partaking."

The WTS finally made an accurate call because it will be the elders, your conscience, that will "compel them to stop partaking."

Why does the WTS think people partake "unworthily"?

One, for prestige, like Korah. Now that one I can understand. I’m sure the 4 new brothers on the GB made quicker upward progress on the "privilege" gravy train after declaring their anointed status.

Two, having lost a mate or some other tragedy, they "lose interest in life on earth." Now I can understand that this event might make you want to kill yourself, but since your mate will be resurrected to life on earth, it would only make matters worse to want to be in heaven when you die. Then you will be separated eternally.

Three, "desire the same destiny as a close friend who professes to be an anointed Christian." Come on, who has such a close friend that they would give up sex forever.

Four, hearing God’s voice selecting you for heavenly duty. Yes, it you think God has chosen you, you must be nuts. The only voice you should hear choosing you are the elders’ voices.

Five, still hanging onto the false religious idea that all good people go to heaven. Yes, new ones at the Memorial have to be watched like a hawk. I would think after studying 2 WT books, going through over 120 questions with the elders, these newly baptized ones would have gotten that idea out of their mind.

Six, "Do I use medications that affect my emotions? Am I inclined to have deep emotions that I could misjudge?" Do I see women as the target of these questions? Yes, I was PMSing Memorial night, Brother Judge the Partakers. I started a new antidepressant last week, Brother Judge the Partakers, and just knew I had to drink and eat.

Seven/One, "Do I want to be prominent? Am I ambitious for authority now or as a future joint heir with Christ?" This is the only way any sister will ever get a crumb of authority while on earth.

Eight, "Some may have concluded that they have the heavenly calling because they have acquired considerable Bible knowledge. But spirit anointing does not bring extraordinary understanding?" If this is the case, how can the WTS/FDS/GB call themselves a prophet and the only channel through which we can understand the Bible?

WHY ARE THEY ARE SURE

"The witness of God’s spirit convinces anointed Christians that they have heavenly prospects."

Yes, "they are willing to sacrifice all earthly attachments and prospects."

I always wondered about this. Evidently, these are people that would have not made a bargain with God by saying, "I will serve you if you give me what I want, everlasting life on earth." How many JWs do you know, that would leap with joy if God suddenly through his spirit said, "I know you want to be on earth forever with your family, but I need you up here." The ones I know would not be joyful because they won’t even change to a new book study and be separated from their family and close friends because they are not willing to do anything God asks. Jesus didn’t bargain with God, he died a painful sacrificial death, a humiliating event for Jesus as well to be branded a blasphemer, put along criminals, deserted by family and friends, even God at the end. Jesus did exactly what his Father asked of him. That is what all "real" Christians should be willing to do. Not bargain with God.

Conclusion

I will be celebrating at home this year with my wine and Jewish matzos. We will be reading the events of that day and the Gospel accounts, not Paul’s account to weed out the unworthy. We will be concentrating on how Jesus showed love to his disciples and to try to be more like him in the year to come.

Blondie (and Irreverent)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for the post which helps us keep up with current WT-think. It's the same old same old. The Witness religion is such a long list of "do nots", enforced with fear. It is SO GOOD to be away from there and not have to read this depressing sort of stuff over and over and over...

• onacruse
    onacruse

blondie:

"Some may have concluded that they have the heavenly calling because they have acquired considerable Bible knowledge. But spirit anointing does not bring extraordinary understanding?" If this is the case, how can the WTS/FDS/GB call themselves a prophet and the only channel through which we can understand the Bible?

Exactly! In fact, they bury themselves even deeper when they go on to say:

So nobody should think that being an anointed Christian gives him wisdom superior to that of those having the earthly hope. Spirit anointing is not indicated by proficiency in answering Scriptural questions...

LOLOLOL...so why don't they tell us something we don't already know? However, profligacy in supposedly answering Bible questions must surely be a sign of spirit-anointing. To be sure, the multi-billions of pages printed by the WTS is frequently touted as proof of their anointed status.

LOL some more.

Idiots.

Idiots.

hehe, I was going to edit my post to delete the inadvertent double "idiots;" on second thought, I'll let it stand.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Thank you Blondie for enduring another Watchtower and saving us from a spiritual migraine. The boys in Watchtowerland really want to skew the numbers this year don't they? Attendance up, partakers down. This will be heralded from the house tops as a sure sign of the end and time for the RF to work, work, work! Give, give, give us more... so sayith the J-dud masters! Give us your praise, more money, and your children, sacrificed on the alter of the Governingbodygod! I talked with one of my spies at the Hall and was told the Elders are pushing hard to get the inactive ones to the memorial. Of course, once that event is over so will the brothers interest in the inactive ones as well. Maverick

• blondie
    blondie

Gopher,

It is SO GOOD to be away from there and not have to read this depressing sort of stuff over and over and over...

Unfortunately, I still have to read it if I am going to do my reviews. It is starting to wear a little on me. Sometimes I wonder if I think bad news is better than no news.

This information is not new. What is new is devoting a whole article to how to know if you are anointed. It used to rate a subsection at the most. The WTS must be worried that this Memorial will see another increase in partakers. Part of me would like to go and partake but I don't think they will pass the wine my way after I eat the bread.

onacruse, thanks for adding that other segment. With all the came before in my review I thought people would find in redundant. But it is excellent the way you present it in your comment. You cut through the crap quite nicely. Idiots twice is correctly, once for the ones who write the crap and once for those who swallow it down.

maverick, you were posting while I was.

I talked with one of my spies at the Hall and was told the Elders are pushing hard to get the inactive ones to the memorial. Of course, once that event is over so will the brothers interest in the inactive ones as well.

Actually, they had a push like this back in 1978 and 1979 when there was a drop in the number of publishers worldwide, fallout from the 1975 debacle. Of course, these inactive ones will be assigned to publishers/pioneers to study a WT publication. Time can be counted for a year. Some in a year's time they will be dropped. Of course, most elders are too busy for at the most a "How are you?" and quickly onto to the next one. No time to hear any reply.

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby

Well done Blondie....as always.

I think about 10 of us or so should go to the memorial to the same hall.....accept we sit apart and act like we don't know each other. When the sacraments are passed we all partake......just to see the attendants poop their pants seeing 10 people partake in one hall.

Gumby

• rocketman
    rocketman

Blondie, thank you for the review and for all the research you do. Your efforts are much appreciated!

This is, as all have already mentioned, an obvious attempt to get the number of partakers more into line with jw-think.

We had a sister in this area who years ago was partaking. Many people questioned her understanding of the anointing teaching, and her motives I think were questioned as well. And as Blondie points out, the article is again questioning motives, implying that perhaps they seek prominance and glory. By the way, from what I heard a while back, that sister no longer partakes. I guess she kind of got talked out of it.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Thank you Blondie. The WTBS locked, loaded, took careful aim, and shot itself squarely in both feet with this one. Next time I run into a dub I'm going to ask him why I should listen to them, since their own publications say they don't have any special knowledge from God. They've unwittingly knocked out the whole foundation of their beliefs.

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Dogmatically, the article intones in various opening sentences:

• "Annointed Christians are absolutely sure that they have the heavenly calling." (par. 12)
    ...and, in case you missed it...
    • "Annointed Christians are certain of their heavenly hope..." (par. 19)
    ...and again in the very next paragraph...
    • "The annointed are sure of their hope." (par. 20)
    Thanks, I think we got it.

Under the sub-heading Why Mistaken Assumptions:

"Now aware that they never had the heavenly hope, surely their conscience will compel them to stop partaking."

Notice here 'conscience' is singular as in one Borg Collective conscience as opposed to being pluralized as should rightly describe what should be the various and diversely-impelled individual consciences of truly 'free moral agents,' allowed and encouraged to live and make decisions as such.

And precisely how is it they are "now aware"? Why, the WTS just informed them, silly. And not only are they "aware" now that they do not have the heavenly hope, it is chucked in as an aside that they never had it. LOL!

After reading over this article, I made a prediction to my husband (who's still trying to be a JW, but is increasingly disillusioned, especially with articles such as these): this year will evidence a drop, perhaps precipitously, in the number of partakers. It will come about through one of/or two means:

First, there will be those JWs who, although having conscientiously partaken in previous years and probably still strongly inclined to do so, will succumb to, yes, perhaps some slight niggling doubts, but more likely guilt and/or just plain cowardice, as a result of the shaming-damning tone of this study article that strategically comes a mere week and a half before the Memorial. The fellas at HQ are nothing if not brilliant tacticians when it comes to controlling JW behavior merely by setting them against one another as peanut gallery judges. The peer pressure this year in services worldwide will be particularly suffocating for one who dares even consider lifting a morsel or glass to his 'unworthy' lips. I'm betting many will crumble under it. It's the corral that reliably keeps JWs "in line."

Secondly, I'm betting the attendants (elders), will have been given more pointed counsel than ever before, in line with the scolding in this study article, as regards who should be included in the congregations' counts of partakers ("If an anointed one proves unfaithful, it is most likely (...) that a person who has long served God faithfully as one of the other sheep would be called to fill the vacancy thus caused in the 144,000." - par. 11).

We'll see if the Society's strategy pays off. If it does and, again, I believe it will, they will employ it to turn up the volume on the 'herald of Christ's presence.' If the number of partakers, however, remains fairly constant, I will be left to conclude that the flock is merely grazing at "their spiritual food at the proper time" and not "paying more than the usual attention." How ominously the latter would portend for God's name people.

Btw, one of HQ's top dogs, Robert P. Johnson (the very same one who used a private letter from his longtime friend, Joe Anderson, as a "witness" against Joe in the JC that ultimately df'd him) is being gifted a trip by a local congregation to give their Memorial talk. There's the offchance I may be able to come into posession of a recording of it. If I can do so safely without setting off any alarms, I'll make it available to someone who can post it.

Thanks for another solid editorial, blondie.

AMNESIAN

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Others have already sharply focused in on the following in paragraph 16 under Why Mistaken Assumptions: "God has an arrangement for providing spiritual food for all his people. (Matthew 24:45-47). So nobody should think that being an annointed Christian gives him wisdom superior to that of those having the earthly hope." (emphasis mine) It helps to examine this curious admission alongside specific previous published assertions: What arrangement has God made for providing spiritual food for his people, according to the WTS?

WT 2001 11/1 pp. 28-29 "The Blessing of Jehovah—That Is What Makes Rich"

Through Jesus Christ and "the faithful and discreet slave," Jehovah has provided a bountiful supply of spiritual food that helps us to remain on "the road leading off into life." (emphasis mine)

And who does the WTS identify as the fds today?

WT 1995 2/1 pp. 12-13 "A Great Crowd of True Worshipers—From Where Have They Come?" par 15:

In that discourse in 1923, an effort was made to identify those who fit the Lord’s description of the sheep and of the goats, but other matters needed to be understood before the full import of the parable would be clear. During the following years, Jehovah progressively drew these important details to the attention of his servants. These included clearly understanding, in 1927, that "the faithful and discreet slave" is the entire body of spirit-anointed Christians on earth; (emphasis mine)

So is not the "arrangement" that the entire body of spirit-anointed Christians on earth at any given time---all of whom make up the fds---providing spiritual food for Jesus' other sheep? How can it be said, then, that being annointed does not confer superior wisdom on each and every one of them? In spite of its practices to the contrary, the WTS has never claimed that the GB has an annointing of knowledge superior to that possessed by the entire body of fds. (Of course they've never expounded, either, on how it is any of the fds who are not on the GB share in the dispensing of spiritual food!)

The point obviously is, exactly what is it the GB and "Nethinim" claim qualifies them to direct "God's people" if "nobody should think that being an annointed Christian gives him wisdom superior to that of those having the earthly hope," huh?

This would appear to be a glaring blunder I expect should draw the careful scrutiny and questioning by some of the brighter---and already doubting--- bulbs.

AMNESIAN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit