Why are some that post here JW apologists?

by ctrwtf 47 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    DoubtfullyYours - ........I can easily see that the good far outweighs the bad........

Unless I'm misunderstanding somehow, how can you possibly say this? Yes, the JW's dress nice and there are nice people in the organization, but they aren't necessarily more moral than anyone else (the horror stories abound like anywhere else). They don't do charitable work, even in times of natural disaster choosing primarily to help their own. Hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of families are estranged due to their rules. People live in a system of fear and control in the organization, many surviving on "pills and prayers", according to one famous talk by a Brother Mack. Kids are brought up isolated from the world at large and end up ostracized. They're then pushed into baptism whereby they risk being forever ostracized from their families at some point in the future. Time that could be spent recreationally is devoted to mindless door knocking and I can't tell you how many times I wished my dad would do something with us but he had meetings as an elder to go to. Most new members come from growing families or friends of friends, not helping hurting people in the world and bringing them in. Suicide happens often, so they aren't protected from that. People die refusing blood transfusions. They die because the organization makes arbitrary rules and won't let them get a party card in their country. So many lives ran off into a ditch because of Jehovah's Witnesses, but they're often out of sight and out of mind.

Where is all of this good that far outweighs the bad? I'm not being daft. I'm serious. When I lived my little JW life in a bubble it seemed great, but that's just because the dissonance wouldn't allow me to see things as they really were. I knew in the back of my mind that this wasn't right, and that wasn't right, but look at us being Jehovah's happy people, his clean people, blah blah blah. It sounds great, but it simply wasn't true.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Not everything is as it seems." -Mr. Miyagi, Karate Kid..................Fisherman

You used a fictional movie character..

To defend a multi billion dollar WBT$ real estate business,disguised as a religion..

That coerces children to give them their ice cream money..

Not everything is as it seems in Watchtower World..

Because..

https://getoutofdebt.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/its-all-bullshit-150x74.jpg

• freddo
    freddo

Good post, dubstepped. Very good post.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Why are some that post here JW apologists?"

Just about the strangest question I have ever seen. Maybe my memory does not serve me well any more, but wasn't this supposed to be a discussion board? And then you ask why someone has opinions different from those of the others? A discussion board without discussion, critisism of those having certain opinions not because of the opinions but because they utter them here - you seem to fit neatly into exactly the sort of behaviour you are critizising others for having.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dead Right Old Hippie !

it may already have been pointed out on this Thread that a good number of Posters started out as JW Apologists on here, and were soon awakened as to their "condition".

I wish there were more JW Apolgists turning up, for lurking JW's to read what they think, and then see the answers given on here is an easy route for them to find out The Truth about the "Truth".

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I have been on this forum for almost 10 years and out of the cult for only 3. For 7 years, I

• knew of the issues with the pedophiles,
    • Knew the dates didn't make sense
    • the weird teachings of Russell and Rutherford
    • I disagreed with the shunning, and the blood policy
    • The UN, Malawi, etc.

Despite all this, I stayed in! I reasoned that in the end, they were doing more good than bad.

Then, I finally read the books of Raymond Franz: This truly opened my eyes. The fruits I'd see with the organization were all about sustaining the organization. They preach door to door and in kingdom halls leaving barely enough time to practice what they teach. Charity is not simply sharing ideas, it involves actual actions. Sure, they do some actions, just not enough compared to the time dedicated to talking about it.

In his book, he denounced how they expect the brothers to be "humble and not boastful with pride" by questioning their teachings. In reality, to set this expectation while also admitting that they are not inspired makes THEM the guilty party here.

Still, I stayed. At that point, I thought I could do some changes from within. I had fun from time to time in exposing their beliefs by playing the overzealous. Or presenting things in a truthful, accurate way, and yet, in a light that they were not used to.

For instance, at a super, a brother said how horrified he was that some Muslims had stoned a girl who committed fornication. I said: "Objectively speaking, there is nothing wrong with that. They are simply still following the Mosaic Law. Heck, under Moses, there was even a man who was stoned to death for picking up woods on the Sabbath. I don't think that the word "horrified" is advised here knowing that Jehovah himself definitely approved stoning only 3 days ago. You know, a day for a thousand years? – There was a very odd silence at the table.

Then my kids started to be old enough to listen at the hall. That was the deal breaker for me. I realized that I would not be able to teach my own beliefs. Being kids, they could express these contrary beliefs in the wrong place, at the wrong people, and I could have faced a JC at any time. Essentially, JWs are required to give complete authority to 7 men in NY, even over their own kid’s spiritual education. I could not allow this. I left.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Apologists on an apostate website?

Counting time possibly, or maybe this is the only place they are allowed to think.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Some of us are semi-apologists too. Don't forget us!

• cofty
    cofty
    Some of us are semi-apologists

You have no excuse.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You have no sense of humour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit