What did you have for Christmas dinner?

by GrreatTeacher 37 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

My inlaws are Polish, though my husband is a 3rd generation American, but the food traditions have stuck around.

We have Christmas Eve dinner starting with red beet soup with sour cream, pierogies filled with mashed potatoes or saurkraut, ham, polish sausage sliced and cooked with saurkraut, turkey (that part is American), krischickies (likely spelled wrong) which are crispy pastries dipped in powdered sugar, and apple pie (also American.)

There are goodnatured threats toward bad children who may need to get their dupa busted (butt spanked) and therefore Santa will bring figismachen. (You get nothing!)

I also love golabkis (ground beef and rice wrapped in cabbage leaves), but these were not served this time. Maybe at Easter.

Americans often get called out for saying they are this ethnicity or that ethnicity (I'm Polish! I'm Irish) when they are third generation Americans. And, point taken! However, it seems that food is where these traditions stay alive the longest! We eat Polish food on holidays because my husband's family has done it ever since they lived in Poland and the last hundred years they have been In the US. I think it's wonderful and helps anchor my son in multigenerational family traditions. God knows there are no holiday traditions on my side of the family.

So, what are you eating for Christmas dinner? Have you created new traditions? Are you following the traditions of your spouse? Your non-JW family? (Do you even like sauerkraut? ) Are you eating in a Chinese buffet?

Do tell!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

We just had bacon and eggs for breakfast!

(I'm on the west coast of the US-late breakfast)!

Your dinner sounds wonderful!

dzień dobry
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Goose

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Pernil, which is a marinated pork shoulder, extremely popular in the Puerto Rican culture, although I'm not PR

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Actually I am eating at a Chinese buffet! I live in the neighborhood where the movie "A Christmas Story" was filmed. In the movie, the family goes to a Chinese restaurant on Christmas. That's where I got the idea.

A Christmas Story, Chinese restaurant scene

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Tonight we are having a traditional Hungarian dish: Töltött káposzta (stuffed cabbage).

My wife is Hungarian. She moved here 21 years ago. I'm 4th generation Irish-American

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes, Oub, there's something about eastern Europeans and cabbage...

Chinese buffet and a movie (movie theaters are open on Christmas) is a classic Jewish Christmas. Catching Star Wars this afternoon, Paul?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Venison. It was on special offer (under half price) this week, probably everybody buying turkey.

George

• oppostate
    oppostate
    I had italian bread with garlicky cheesy spread and 7 cheese lasagna and chased it down with beer (my wife had merlot) and pecan pie for desert with coffee. It was yummptious!
  • Angharad
    Angharad

We'll be having chicken, roast potatos, Yorkshire puddings, stuffing, carrots and swede mashed in butter and brussel sprouts.

Simon will make the gravy and then declare that it's the gravy that makes the meal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit