Are JW's Really Zealous?

by metatron 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• metatron
    metatron

Are Witnesses really zealous? They certainly claim to be. They "turn in" field service reports month by month claiming

huge amounts of time spent in a "ministry".

Yet my past experience as an elder strongly contradicts this superficial image. In particular, when dealing with the

fringes or disadvantaged of society, I observed Witness efforts as distinctly inferior.

I was once in the unique position to observe Witnesses volunteering to religiously assist prisoners in a large jail.

They had constant trouble recruiting enough brothers to do this - their meetings were more poorly attended and

vastly fewer in number than what 'born-agains' provided. In addition, I noticed strongly the lack of joy or enthusiasm

amoung them in contrast to the fervor of the local fundamentalists.

This contrast also applied to volunteers in nursing homes and hospitals - the Witness 'ministry' was a half-hearted

burden with most of the congregation opting out or finding excuses - EVEN THOUGH in many cases, bible studies

could be had in large numbers, just for the asking.

When I look at the spiritual needs of addicts, drunks, the poor, the prisoners, and the bedridden, generally Witnesses

found "other things to do" - while other people they DENY as Christians - like the Salvation Army, or fundamentalist

groups - took the lead. It was also common, in my experience, to see Witnesses avoid caring for chronically ill

relatives and congregation members by saying "I can't, I have to go out in service".

The same often applied to bible studies in the field - although fewer in number, most Witnesses didn't want them

unless they were convenient. I personally observed the difficulty of trying to "turn a study over " to someone else

and being unable to find anyone who would take it - including pioneers. ( who often seemed to be on a perpetual

gossip/coffee klatch)

It is all too easy for Witnesses to "count time" doing nothing for others, while holding their heads high

and considering others as damned - like the Pharisees "who considered the rest as nothing".

It is too easy to peddle magazines, knock on unanswered doors, sit in the van, make excuses, go on coffee

breaks, drive to the other side of the county on a return visit, and generally maintain the pretense of a ministry

that offers little beyond boredom and the unmerited superiority that judging people provides.

In Rutherford's day, it was probably a real ministry, however warped that was.

Now, it has all the real spiritual impact of a motor driven prayer wheel in some Tibetan monastery.

metatron

• minimus
    minimus

The Witnesses just don't want to get sick or murdered, that's all.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    When I look at the spiritual needs of addicts, drunks, the poor, the prisoners, and the bedridden, generally Witnesses found "other things to do" - while other people they DENY as Christians - like the Salvation Army, or fundamentalist groups - took the lead. It was also common, in my experience, to see Witnesses avoid caring for chronically ill relatives and congregation members by saying "I can't, I have to go out in service".

Rbi8 Mark 7:9-13 ***

"Adroitly YOU set aside the commandment of God in order to retain YOUR tradition. For example, Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Let him that reviles father or mother end up in death.’ But YOU men say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother: "Whatever I have by which you may get benefit from me is corban, (that is, a gift dedicated to God,)"’— YOU men no longer let him do a single thing for his father or his mother, and thus YOU make the word of God invalid by YOUR tradition which YOU handed down. And many things similar to this YOU do."

• metatron
    metatron

You got it, Neon!

Since they lack any Divine guidance, the Watchtower can't see the value in genuine joy or compassion. They can't see

that such activities speak louder than a ministry of pretense.

metatron

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey metatron,you want to see a Zealous JW?..Give them some dirt on a fellow dub..You`ll see zealous!!..All the way to the elders,LOL!...OUTLAW

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    it has all the real spiritual impact of a motor driven prayer wheel in some Tibetan monastery.

I l-l-l-l-like it.

• nowisee
    nowisee

not zealous, just buying into some guilt trip....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.

They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?

He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

Matt. 25:41-46

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

oh yeah - they're zealous - just not about christianity

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Some of the men are zealous about counting as much time as they can so they look good to the higher ups. Perhaps they can get a coveted elder position offered to them, or should I say, invitation to the club?

I do believe there are many who truly are zealous, only misguided.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit