Are kilts considered proper meeting or assembly attire in the UK?

by avishai 31 Replies latest social current

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Well. (sniffs.) I stand corrected, Slugga! Hey, thank ya!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Fijian skirts are allowed for men, though they normally are white.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

GRRRRRR! this is why Americans shouldn't wear TARTAN!

It's called Tartan not plaid !

Actually, it's called a PLAID SKIRT in America...but if I go to Scotland I'll try to remember to ask about Tartan kilts!

Swalker

• carla
    carla

"rule of thumb" was that it had to be consistent with the person's land of origin, otherwise you were expected to conform to local custom and dress according to what was considered to be appropriate business attire.

Wouldn't wearing any 'garb' from any nation in particular be considered, 'national pride'? if not, why?

Personally I don't care one way or the other. Just from a jw standpoint.

I have only seen kilts in movies when they play 'Amazing Grace' on the bagpipes and once at funeral doing the same. Talk about breaking down?! Man, that's tough. Though that was my very first funeral, so who knows. Maybe next time won't be so tough.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Since I have German ancestry, I'd either have to marry a Scot or be adopted right? hmm....

• deeskis
    deeskis

Slugga, you're pretty involved in this conversation. Would you be scottish perhaps??

I know that my dad became much more "scottish" after we left Scotland. When we go round now he's always playing scottish music.

I had a piper at my wedding, and one of my sisters went the whole hog, her NZ husband and all the wedding party in kilts. my little four year old page boy looked sooo cute! the wedding video has proof at how authentic they were in their costuming, except for my husband who wussed out and wore a red G String!

But back to the thread..........I don't remember kilts at the meetings or assemblies, except for weddings!

• ballistic
    ballistic

I have never seen kilts worn in England except at special events and Weddings and the odd stag party. Scotland is a different matter though.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I feel I should point out that the kilt as worn today, and the rig that goes with it, is essentially a nineteenth century confection so the idea that it's what your ancestors wore is a bit of a misnomer. It's thanks to Sir Walter Scott and the Victorian romance with the Highlands that the prissy wee kilt became fashionable. It owes more to the aristocracy, ninteenth century tourism and English tailors than the Highlands.

If your ancestors were Highlanders they may have worn belted plaid (sorry Slugga, it's not an American term), which was a long piece of material wrapped round the waist and thrown over the shoulder, held together by a belt. Pretty primitive but definitely more authentic. While Braveheart may have many inaccuracies, Mel Gibson's clothing is correct.

• slugga
    slugga
    Actually, it's called a PLAID SKIRT in America

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH !!!!!

Matt

LOL

• slugga
    slugga
    Wouldn't wearing any 'garb' from any nation in particular be considered, 'national pride'? if not, why?

Actually Tartan in the UK is / was associated with nationalistic pride so much so that after the Jacobean war (Scots Independence fighters against the English) the wearing of Tartan was made a criminal offence in Scotland because it was associated with this fight for freedom.

Even today during international football matches hoards of Scottish football fans know as the "Tartan Army" will turn up in their kilts to support their national team.

The way the org likes to split hairs on things like this plus the "no undies" thing associated with kilts I'm surprised they haven't tried to ban them. Thinking about it though If they did try to ban Scotland's nation dress and word got out in Scotland you wouldn't see any new faces in the congregation again.

Matt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit