Alternative pets?

by DanTheMan 46 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Rayzor,

If you let the bird fly around the house, doesn't it, um, crap on everything?

Maybe I'll get a chia pet. Except you can only find those at Christmas time.

• Xena
    Xena

Fish are nice pets...I have had several tanks (the last one had an unfortunate incident an entire bottle of ick medicine and my daughter) and a pond in my back yard...fish are just so tranquil...I miss my fish

I love cats personally....just don't care for the cat box...but everything comes with a price, right? And men who like cats come across as sensitve and way cooooollll...women like that! Love me love my cat

I did look into a prairie dog at one time for my daughter, they tend to bond with one person and are very affectionate. Might look into that if you want something different...

• rocketman
    rocketman

box turtles are pretty easy to care for.....many types (like mine) sleep almost all day. They eat household foods like veggies, fruit, a scrambled egg, or you can go out and dig a few worms for it. They are obviosuly quiet, shed no hair, and don't need potty training. Ours 'goes' in the small basin we put it in once each day to drink from.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

hmmm...a turtle....there's an idea

I dig turtles. I might look into that.

Xena, I've seen personal ads on Yahoo! where females have stated in their ad things like "No dudes who own cats, OK?" LOL

• Francois
    Francois

Keep in mind that the Pot Bellied Pig does not, not, stop growing at 40 pounds. That's a myth started by the Pot Bellied Pig Owners Association and Benevolent Society. They will grow up to 300 or more pounds. Then they start stealing your chair and eating your dinner.

Iguanas harbor salmonella.

I've always wanted an African Gray parrot, but they need about as much attention as a dog, and without it they literally go insane and will eventually kill themselves absent proper socialization. And lots of it.

francois

• Xena
    Xena

NO WAY...really Dan? Well you gotta wonder about those women...would you really WANT a woman who didn't want a man who had a cat?

Funny the things people put on their personal ads...I mean why not a guy with cats? Well I guess then I can just I can tell you what my feelings are Dan...and I think guys that own cats are cool!

Huh...can't imagine that..women who have "issues" with cat guys...go figure...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good advice Frank. I just did a quick search on pot-bellied pigs. Apparently some unscrupulous breeders will tell the unsuspecting purchaser that the pig will stay 40-50 pounds as long as you restrict its diet. WRONG! I definitely will not be getting a PBP.

Xena, yes it's true, there is definitely a stigma when it comes to men and cats.

I think ol' Willie J. Clinton got Buddy the dog precisely because of this perception. (You may recall that prior to getting Buddy the only pet they had was Socks the cat)

Now Frank, try not to get all choked up when you look at this picture, we all know how much you miss Clinton!

alt

• Soledad
    Soledad

LOL @joanadandy your thought was similar to mine.........alternative??

• Farkel
    Farkel

Francois,

: I've always wanted an African Gray parrot, but they need about as much attention as a dog, and without it they literally go insane and will eventually kill themselves absent proper socialization. And lots of it.

As an owner of spoon-fed parrot pets for over fifteen years, I can say you make a major understatement with African Greys. They need MUCH more attention than dogs, and if they don't get it they will start ripping out every one of their feathers that they can rip out. And they will continue to do this until they die eighty years later.

I know what I'm talking about here. I've seen it happen, and I've heard tons of stories from Grey owners who confirm it. Cockatoos are also very sensitive like the Greys (Congo and Timnahs) and will do the same thing.

That's why I have enjoyed the company of my Yellow-Naped Amazon for the last 13 years. They are the blue-collar parrots in the parrot world. They are feisty, tough, testy and absolutely fabulous to keep company with. They rarely go psycho from lack of attention. They just scream and scream and scream until they get it. And even then, (in my experience that rarely happens). They just let you know they are PISSED when you finally decide to give them your company that they so desire to have. Amazons are rarely feather-pluckers, unlike Greys and Cockatoos.

Farkel

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Having owned birds for years, one thing I've noticed. When 'nature calls' with birds, they tend to do their business in the same spot.

OK...if they're on your shoulder etc., um...expect accidents. But I can tell when they are going to do their 'poo duty'. I keep newspaper strategically placed.

The little one I have. She's pretty consistent with her doings. She always goes in the same place.

The cockatiel I had before, he/she both had their favourite spots. The male, he was really clever, he'd go to the paper, and I'd always praise him for it, and give him a little treat. The female, well...she has her favourite perches, and well...we kept the paper where she was, but after awhile, it was like you knew when she was going to go.

The cockatiels, they were allowed to fly free while someone was home.

The parakeet, she is still new here. Once she becomes more socialized, I'll definitely let her fly because it's good exercise. She's pretty good, and went a bit longer being handled today than previous days.

Anyways. Maybe a bird isn't for you.

Dog looks pretty good I'd say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit