Alternative pets?

by DanTheMan 46 Replies latest jw friends

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I have a Parrotlet. It has the same looks and personality as a parrot, only its 4" long. He's the sweetest thing. Never bites, never squaks, and loves to cuddle. He also sounds like a little robot when he talks. He is much easier to take car of then a parrot, although he does need alot of attention.

http://www.shadypines.com/avimages/grdilute.jpg

• glitter
    glitter

Rats are great pets. Over the years we've had about 70. They don't bite or smell or anything and are really easy to tame and house - get a large special mesh rat cage and have loads of platforms and toys, plus wood and a small-ish stone for their teeth and claws. Get a pair of girl ones though because they like to play and run around and swing off the bars of their cage and ride around inside your sleeve - boy ones just sleep *all the time*.

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Don't give up on the idea of owning a cat, just because you're a guy. I've known guys who where more buff and more "man" than most out there....and they owned cats. It really touched me to see how caring they were to these soft, furry little creatures. To see a man being so gentle is awesome!

I personally own a cat and I love coming home to him. He's always waiting by the door when I get home waiting to be petted. I like the thought that he is independent too, like myself. He's an indoor cat who has never been outside and he's also declawed (sorry if some don't agree with cats being declawed), so I feel pretty good that he's as clean as they come.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Dan--

Answering your question about Tortoise hibernation, we're in northern Virginia, and they hibernate instinctually during the coldest months of the year. Every spring, they make their reappearance, both just recently dug out in the last few weeks.

Hope you find a pet you like!

• Xena
    Xena

alt alt alt

Can you tell I have an agenda????

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Funny pics Xena, thanks.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Dan: Thunder and I have had or have about all the animals mentioned except the penguin, rock and pony LOL

Tortoise: Wonderful, funny and cute

Iguana: We bought Puglsey when he was just a baby and he is huge I honestly think it's how they are treated as far as aggression. Puglsey is calm and closes his eyes, tilts his head when I mist him. They just need a warm enviroment and they eat veggies very easy to care for as long as you watch their calcium intake otherwise they have major bone problems.

Maine Coon Cats: Expensive but act like a large cat Panther, Lynx and are so fun they are furry but they are really the best of any cat I have ever had.

with the parrot you have to realize they need lots of interaction. If you can't provide that you might think of a cockatiel or a Quaker which is a small green parrot like bird. Love birds can be mean. REMEMBER WITH BIRDS they need their cage cleaned constantly, they are noisy Thunder got where he couldn't take the noise of our cockatiels when he was dealing with depression. Also they need fresh water daily. I love birds and I'm thinkiing about another Quaker if I can talk Thunder into it.

Ferret: We had three one died I placed the other two when Anthony didn't want to clean the cage anymore. The best thing to do with a ferret is to get it from a breeder, get one not fixed too young and have it fixed at 6 months this cuts down on the smell. Those that are in pet stores are "fixed" very early this still leaves them with a musky yucky odor ours we had fixed later didn't smell bad except for the feces YUCK Anthony really was upset when Podo died and never really wanted the others after that.

We had a chameleon they need a very humid enviroment but are very fun to have.

Dogs: I have three a Cairn Terrier/Golden Retriever/Keeshound

I think that is all we have or hd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit