Alternative pets?

by DanTheMan 46 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Well, I don't have the most active or exciting life, so I've been thinking about getting a pet to liven things up a little around the homestead.

Dogs? Too much commitment, also high ownership expenses.

Cats? I like them, but I am not about to become a single 32 year old male who owns cats. Can you say wimp? Plus, my like of cats only goes so far.

So, does anybody have some ideas about animals other than dogs and cats that would make a good pet?

BTW, today is my forum birthday. Yay for me!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Dan.

Well, right beside me here, is a tiny little yellow female parakeet.

She is a real charmer. She is easy to care for, and because I adopted her from the Humane Society, she has not had much human interaction.

She chirps affirmatively to various music on the radio/stereo.

She loves to stretch when I stretch, and she's within eyesight of me. She and I are on a bit of training mission. I take her out of her cage once a day, hold her (and yes, she protests...) and attempt to socialize her. She will be OK. I've done this with birds before, and it takes a bit of time.

Now...Dan, not sure if you'd consider a bird, but I love them.

They can talk, and are smarter than many people give them credit for.

If you do...(Rayzorblade crosses his fingers) adopt or purchase a bird, you can get the HAND TRAINED ones. They cost more, but you can hold them, play with them and they are good talkers (parakeets, cockatiels and various parrot-like birds).

But still, a dog or cat is good. Pets really make a difference in ones life.

Fish?

Let us know what you decide on Dan.

CONGRATS on your Forum Birthday!!

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Congrats on your Forum birthday

I would also suggest a bird, if you dont want alot of hassel,,,,,,except cage cleaning and constant singing, which I love but it can get on some people's nerves.

They do need to be talked to and need attention.

I had a cockateil once and had to give her away because I was traveling alot. She was alot of fun, but kind of mean, she loved to stick her head in her bell and ring it all the time. I loved to her her sings, she made all kinds of noise.

Some people like hampsters or gerbils but they smell to me and are too much like rats.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Hi Dan....cats make very good pets for men. It takes a strong man, sure of his masculinity and independence to put up with an independant creature. The advantages are that you don't have to take them for walks...unless you both want to. You can leave them alone for the day with adequate food and water and they'll be happy to snuggle with you when you come home.

"Dogs look up to you; cats look down on you. Pigs treat you as equals" Winston Churchill

• nowisee
    nowisee

i have known people who have had ferrets, iguanas, tropical fish, monkeys. the ferrets get good grades, but also are known to become vicious. iguanas grow to become too big and can be unhealthy (their skin has some kind of bacteria), not too much interaction with fish although they are beautiful and peaceful to watch. monkeys also as they age become vicious - too risky. birds can be great, although i had two and didn't like the mess they made. i think you're right about dogs, the very best pets but you have to do the time.

for me it comes back to cats. totally independent, yet also loving, no work at all (well hardly). friends of mine had the greatest male cat named tinker. he was huge, of course had been declawed and neutered, but he had no clue. he swaggered around as if he still had 2 big ones. i don't think you'd be a wimp if you got a cat.

let us know what you decide.

(razor and i must be keeping the same schedule. - just a coincidence!!)

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Happy birthday man!!!!!

My suggestion? Leopard Gecko's make great pets and you dont have to do alot to take care of them. The only downside is that you will hear crickets chriping until he munches them on down.

Kansas District Overbeer

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Double post

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

triple post

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Alternative pets?

I have a ferret that can play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" with his tiny little paws.

He sort of looks like Curt Cobain.

Is this what you're talking about?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks for the responses.

I was wondering if anybody had experiences with goats, or pot-bellied pigs, or rabbits.

I would feel bad keeping a bird caged up all day, seems a little bit cruel to me. But I do fancy the idea of having a hand-trained bird.

I don't like lizards or snakes, so geckos or iguanas are out.

Fish are OK, but the initial investment is pretty high, unless you settle for a teeny little tank.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit