What did you regrettably not do because you were a Jehovah's Witness ?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

College and sex. Just the truth.

• minimus
    minimus

JWs pridefully eschew anything normal. Normal equals "worldly". Enjoying the happiness of seeing your little children get a birthday cake is considered disgusting. Trying to excel in sports or arts is simply to them a waste of time..... it's so good to be out of the mentality of the JW mindset.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

What did I give up?

Fornicating like a rabbit.

• stillin
    stillin

My kids would have had a lot more fun, and I would have enjoyed being their father a lot more if I didn't feel like I had to be like some stupid demonstration at an assembly.

I would have been to a lot more musical concerts if my uber JW wife didn't accuse me of wanting "worldly" things. I missed a STONES concert, damn it! And a lot of other worthies.

Then the usual screwing-myself-out-of-an-education blues.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

I could have gone further and had a better career! But, I didn't do too badly. At least I resisted these people who hated women who work and I held onto my full-time job.

I am retired now and many years out of the Witness religion and I'm glad I'm not there now to hear any of the hard-luck stories!

• Sorry
    Sorry

I seriously regret not taking a summer internship and going to Washington D.C. for a writer's workshop. I had the money to send myself there, but I never told my parents because I knew it'd be out of the question. I'm still really young (as most people say) so I still have many more amazing opportunities I guess. But I just wished I could've brought the plane ticket without them knowing and lodged in D.C. for three months, writing and debating, as well as develop more skills for the workforce. Any other parent would've been happy for their child and encouraged them to go, but I knew mine would view it as a waste of time. Still, I think I could've rebelled or something.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I sometimes feel that I have regrets about things i could have done with regard to girlfriends but who knows how that would have turned out. One brother who was going to art school encouraged me to go but I thought it would mean missing meetings and the end was so close. (1970's) Who knows how my life would have turned out if I did, so I don't know that I regret not going.

One thing I do regret is not taking out a personal pension when I was advised to by my personal banker who spent time trying to convince me. The only reason that I didn't was that I had faith the Great Tribulation /Armageddon would come within the time of the generation of 1914 (1980's) I discussed this with my parents. It means I will have to do work into into my 70's.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I always wanted to go to Egypt and hoped the monuments would still be there after Armaggedon. 🙄 Now it's not safe and I may never see them. I wish I'd gone to university then for free (in the UK) got a job and travelled the world. Trying to catch up but not enough time and the world is less safe.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I would have become a lawyer... I basically gave up on my passion as I thought it would not allow me to put the kingdom first.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Live a normal life where parents would encourage me to pursue things I was interested in or good at!

Such as various sporting codes! I could have excelled at some sports.

And just to be allowed to develop my own personality and interests instead of having prescribed interests put on to me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit