What did you regrettably not do because you were a Jehovah's Witness ?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Pants of Righteousness
    Pants of Righteousness

As a born-in JW, I would love to have been permitted to participate in junior sports. I don't necessarily think I would have been that good, but the friendships that are created at that level can last a lifetime.

Funny that my still fully indoctrinated mother now says she wishes she had allowed me to play with the other kids, rather than spend hours by myself hitting a ball against a wall.

• just fine
    just fine

I regret not having all the fun memories from being a child that others do. I regret not taking a scholarship when I graduated high school. I did get another scholarship 10 years later, and got my Bachelors degree then, so it all worked out.

• schnell
    schnell

I thought the subject was "What did you regrettably do because you were a Jehovah's witness?"

I broke my autistic nephew's magic 8 ball toy, to teach him that magic things are bad. His dad had gotten it for him.

He protested, "It's just a toy! It's just a toy! It's just a toy!" My nephew reasoned far more clearly, never captive to the same religious nonsense as his mom and uncle.

Yeah, I fucking regret that. I am sorry.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Hey schnell,

I did something along along the same line to my son many years ago,

I figured out a way to make it up to him somewhat

Still bugs me but I'm glad I did what I could do

Might be years later but is there anything nice you could do for him?

Tepid

:0)

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

What have you given up because of being a JW??

Getting my father arrested.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Career in aviation; college; several job offers from which I now would have been retired from; a number of wild women......

• minimus
    minimus

It is amazing to realize how much people have given up because they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Two things -

1) I took the ASVAB test when I was a senior just to see what my results were. I scored in the 90 percentile in all areas. All 4 branches of the military were hounding me, but especially the Navy. They Navy wanted me to go into their nuclear program. I was guaranteed to make E3 6 months after basic.

2) I put myself through college about 4 years after high school. Right out of college I took a non-sworn job with a city police department. I always wanted to be in law enforcement. My police chief wanted to hire me as a police officer and would have paid to put me through the academy. If I had done that then I would be Chief of Police now. Instead I am 10 years behind.

• schnell
    schnell
    Might be years later but is there anything nice you could do for him?

I hope so. We have geographical distance between us now. My sister left the organization before I did, and she and I have recently mended over email. Hope to see them all this year. Bring my nephew a new toy.

• flipper
    flipper

As a teenager my high school coach wanted me to go out for the baseball team- as I had some good skills at the time- but my staunch elder dad would not allow me to go out for the team as it conflicted with Tuesday night meetings.

And I always loved music, collected it since I was a kid . But in my early 20's I wasn't allowed as a JW to be in a band- so years after I left the Witnesses I took up guitar and the last 6 years or so I'm making up for lost time writing songs and just finished producing my 3rd album. It's been a really healing experience for me and it's one thing I didn't let the JW cult rob me of- my music. Pursue your dreams now folks- don't wait another day

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit