What did you regrettably not do because you were a Jehovah's Witness ?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• raven
    raven

Gave up on, or didn't even have: non JW friends. and a college education... so sad

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Become a fireman....That profession was still questionable in the early 70's......Missing too many meetings.The guy that took my spot retired as a Captain.

• Landy
    Landy

Probably join the navy.

• minimus
    minimus

In the late 60s early 70s they were parties and dancing that went on with some witnesses ..... but as usual they put the kabosh on that . Having fun usually means you should be out in service.

• ab.ortega
    ab.ortega

I didn't leave my hometown for college so didn't get to explore new places.

• HappyGal
    HappyGal

The high school counselor called me into her office to talk about college and applying for scholarships. Like a good JW, I told her I wasn't going to college. I regret not going to college right after high school. I started college 11 years after high school and then it took twice as long to get my degree since I could only go part-time while working full-time.

I also missed out on extra-curriculum activities and non-JW friends.

• tepidpoultry
  • Schnufti
    Schnufti

My husband and I would have spent weeks in the bedroom when we were boyfriend and girlfriend. Instead we waited too long until we got married and the butterflies had already flown away.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I would have liked to participate in more holiday activities in school like exchanging Christmas gifts and Valentines. I really wanted to, but there were JW kids who would have told on me if I did.

I think my most shameful memory in this regard was when I was in sixth grade. A boy in my class handed me a Valentine card and said: "I know I shouldn't do this this because you're a JW, but here you go." I was both flattered and surprised. This was the first and only valentine I had ever received! I was probably blushing like a rose. I wanted to say thank you and give him something in exchange, but I didn't dare.

That boy could have been my friend. A REAL friend who would not have tossed me aside like my JW 'friends' did a few years later. I still regret it, but I did learn something from this incident. Ever since I've always spoken from the heart and never censored myself in fear of what others might think.

• Tech49
    Tech49

I too gave up a full-ride scholarship in architecture, right when CAD was coming on to the scene, late 80's. I loved architecture and engineering, was very good at it..... but turned it down, like a good little WT boy. I knew the next day that I had made a terrible mistake, but was too afraid to do anything about it. 30 years later, here I am.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit