Have you ever run a marathon? Would you?

by Princess 25 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

If you are in shape, go for it. I know some women who have done this and it is a great emotional boost. Some have continued running on a regular basis.

If this were 20 years ago, I would try it. I used to run 5 miles a day. My poor knees can't do it any more.

Blondie

• LB
    LB

XW that is a great link, I hope Princess sees it. They start out in Balboa park in San Diego. My son raced there in the national championship bicycle races a few years back. Then they finish at the Marine barracks? Are they serious? OK, sounds more interesting.

San Diego is one of my favorite large cities. Great scuba diving there. Clean town and good weather.

• Jade
    Jade

Princess,

That is so cool. My husband runs and a couple of years of ago he ran two marathons within 4 weeks of each other. I only ran the 10k. If anyone here enjoys running, but can't handle the pain of a marathon like myself, it's still fun to support the runners. I've worked at the water stations and the fruit stations and cheered them on.

The worst thing that he had happen was on the second marathon he ran, he ended up with stress fractures at about mile 20. He still finished but he paid for it dearly.

Good luck to you!!!!!!

• berylblue
    berylblue

I'll run to the liquor store but that's about it.

Beryl

ps I'm impressed. Good luck. (I LOVE SAYING THAT NOW!!!!)

• patio34
    patio34

It'll be great Princess. I ran in the LA Marathon in 1996 and loved it!

It was pouring down rain,

All the best to you!

Pat

• wasasister
    wasasister

Well...in my day, I ran all of the 10K's, 12K's and other K that got me a t-shirt. After I got tired of the crowds, I ran alone for the most part. At my peak, I was running 5 miles almost every day and 7 on weekends. I never did make it to a marathon, nor did I ever want to. Something about breaking down muscle instead of building it...I can't remember now.

I would caution any female runner to stay off pavement as much as possible. Towards the end of my running career, I tried to stay on dirt trails, but it was already too late.

I took most of the injury in my feet - my weakest link, if you will. Most women, however, end up with arthritis in the hips or knees. Long term damage in the joints if fairly common. I guess I was lucky in that regard, but my feet are a mess and according to my orthopoedist, it's a medical miracle that I can even walk.

Don't get me wrong, Princess. If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now, I'd still run. And I still get that twinge when I see runners along the road. It kills me not to be out there with them. I even dream of running.

But let's face it, the human body was not meant to run on concrete or even asphalt (which is about 10 times more forgiving than your average sidewalk, especially in summer.) I bought the best shoes money could buy and I still beat the crap out of my poor feet.

So, go have a great time. Finish, be proud of yourself, get the shirt. But if you asked me - and you certainly did not - keep to dirt, track, or sand and off hard surfaces. Otherwise you and me will be wearing the same orthodics and watching from the sidelines.

Good luck!

Wasa

• patio34
    patio34

Good points Wasasister! I didn't mention that I had to quit running for years after that marathon. I did start again recently, but now have a lung inflammation that prevents me until it clears up. But, you know what, at age 56 and after what you said, I'll think I'll stick to walking and swimming.

A real plus for the walking I've been doing is that when I did go out to run, I could run non-stop for 20-25 minutes. In other words I had the capacity for running just from all the walking. So, it's safer to continue the walking.

Thanks for the input.

Pat

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    Have you ever run a marathon? Would you?

No. No. But I'll be cheering for you while I'm sitting in my Comfy Chair with a glass of shiraz/merlot/cabernet!

Nina (of the Basset-Hound Class)

• Princess
    Princess

Thanks for all the encouragement, stories and tips! I did check out the web site and used it to register on Friday. It does look like a great course. I've never been to San Diego, it will be fun running by all the sights.

Thanks for the info wasa. I run about half my mid week training runs on a treadmill because I can't just run off and leave my kids. I have to get out and do some outdoor running too though. My Sunday long runs are on the Burke Gilman trail. It is a lot more comfortable to run on and is asphalt. Today we are going to Alki in West Seattle. Not sure what the surface is there.

Running isn't for everyone but I'm loving it right now!

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

PRINCESS - THAT'S GREAT!!!

I am not fond of running (maybe someday it'll grow on me) - but I am an avid amateur cyclist. I am doing my first century ride (100 miles) at Lake Tahoe on June 1, with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training! The Rock & Roll Marathon is also one of the events that LLS fund-raisers participate in, while raising money for research & treatment of blood-related cancers. Like marathons, triathlons or centuries, it's a little scary at first - but I am proud of myself for rising to the challenge. This will be a fantastic personal best for me, as well the satisfaction of raising money for a great cause. For those of you who may be interested in getting involved with the Team In Training, go to http://www.teamintraining.org

And if any of you are interested in donating - and help me reach my fund-raising goal - please e-mail me, & I'll send you my donation request letter:

[email protected]

WAY TO GO, PRINCESS!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit