"Shock and awe" . . . my butt

by teejay 33 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

You know, Frank,

I'm thrilled to death for the Iraqi people. Once Saddam is gone, they will have the chance to engage in tribal warfare and settle old scores they've been itching to settle for years but couldn't because of Saddam's iron rule. The bloodletting won't commence so long as allied forces run the country, of course. Once they're gone... well, that might be a different story.

As far as my rants here:

I just think it would be nice if -- just FOR ONCE -- we heard some straight-up honesty from this administration. Instead of saying we're going in for the sake of the Kurds or because of the ubiquitous "weapons of mass destruction" or because all of a sudden we love the Iraqi people and want them to have our brand of freedom or the ever-popular "we're going in to protect America" ... I wish your boy would just tell the truth...

We're going in, among other reasons, 1) to make the world safer for Israel, 2) because (paraphrasing the Prez) "after all... this is the man that tried to kill my daddy," and, 3) like bin Laden, Saddam was once a close U.S. gov't trained and supplied ally and certain elements of our gov't would just as well rather have him gone.

Would the world be a little better/safer if Saddam wasn't a world leader? If a third of what's been said about him is true, absolutely. He's a tyrant, a monster, but is his regime really that much worse than Sharon's? More repressive than the Saudis'? Or Egypt's? Does it *really* pose a more imminent threat to the security of the U.S./world than N Korea's?

You're right. I don't care for tyrants, whatever their form. I just can't stand it when an 'elected' leader stands in front of me, tells me bold-faced lies, and then expects me to be stupid enough to believe his little act -- all the while posing as some virtuous, better-than-thou savior. Tell me the truth, goddamn it, and show me some respect. And, while your at it Dubya, drop that sanctimonious, holier-than-thou act. You don't wear it very well.

• Farkel
    Farkel

teejay,

: *wish* I could agree with that. Fractured Iraqi culture and history being what it's been for the past 1000 years -- and throwing misogynist Islam into the mix -- I have my doubts that our brand of freedom will ever come to those people. I think it's a little simplistic to think that removing Sadaam will result in even a third of their problems being resolved, but getting that true dipf**k out of the way won't be a bad thing. OTOH, it's been seen that removing an iron hand from power has sometimes been the worst thing to happen.

I don't know if they could have OUR brand of Freedom, but I do know they will at least have a CHOICE very soon. They will have the choice to change their destinty without worry of being hunted down and executed. With liberty comes responsibility, TJ. (You already know this.) We aren't their nannies, after all. We liberate them. Then the ball is in their park. I hope they choose wisely. If they don't, I have no mercy for their bad choice. At least they CAN make a choice shortly. Their own fate is in their own hands, and they get a chance to determine it. I pray they act wisely.

Farkel

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

An Australian journalist was killed by AlQuaeda yesterday in Northern Iraq while others, who are locked away in the Kuwaiti 'press centre', are calling it "Operation Mushroom". General Franks couldn't lie straight in bed.

I'd love to see the Iraqis liberated as much as anyone but it's a pity 'truth' is the first thing the Americans kill.

unclebruce

• Aztec
    Aztec

Teejay I agree wholeheartedly! I think the overused phrase "Shock and Awe" is arrogant and propagandist. I think the Iraqi people have been shocked and awed enough for a lifetime. I won't even get into what I think of Bush the younger... ~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit